Thoughts and experience with Paul Clean patches?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Thoughts and experience with Paul Clean patches?

Post by juststarting » 09 Aug 2015, 2:33 pm

Seen these patches at a store and just wondering if anyone used them, has any experience with them, gimmick, crap, good, etc?

Product
http://paulclean.com/index.php?page=sho ... Itemid=394

YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rocHpmnDxJI

There is another YouTube video of some dude using them on his pistol, but that's not really applicable, more interested in results on a rifle.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Thoughts and experience with Paul Clean patches?

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Aug 2015, 5:25 pm

I wouldn't waste my money on pre cut patches anymore, I just use flannelette from one of the material shops or I buy the Roll with the red stripes on it and cut to suit the cal. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Aug 2015, 5:32 pm

What sort of $$$ for the rolls mate - any idea?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 09 Aug 2015, 5:35 pm

I bought pre cut bulk patches a while ago, but I was feeling slack. That and the cost wasn't tooooo bad and I still have plenty there. But yes, chux would have been cheaper.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 09 Aug 2015, 5:36 pm

It was either $28 or $30, I don't recall exactly, for a roll of 500.

Regarding cutting your own patches. I looked into it. Seems like an economical way to go, but not for me. I tried that, never again, more bother than it's worth (for me). If I had a blade or something they use to cut material and could cut 10 or so at a time, maybe, but... Not for me. I rather just buy and save on time (rather than money, my time is more precious right now).
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 Aug 2015, 5:39 pm

I ordered 1000 pre-cut from eBay for $48.99 including shipping. That's about 4c a patch. Not too bad. Will do again in 20 years when I run out :) I do want to try those 'X' shaped ones though. Was hoping someone did that before me.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Aug 2015, 5:42 pm

juststarting wrote:It was either $28 or $30, I don't recall exactly, for a roll of 500.

Regarding cutting your own patches. I looked into it. Seems like an economical way to go, but not for me. I tried that, never again, more bother than it's worth (for me). If I had a blade or something they use to cut material and could cut 10 or so at a time, maybe, but... Not for me. I rather just buy and save on time (rather than money, my time is more precious right now).

I get the wife and kids to do mine when I need some :lol: I agree though its a simple way to go about it, I see them on Amazon for around $20 plus shipping plus the diff between Aus $$ and credit card fees, plus I think you need their Jags too and not sure if you need their rods or not.

Fook knows how many patches the wife and kids could knock out for that sort of $$ - probably a lifetimes worth for me. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by juststarting » 09 Aug 2015, 5:51 pm

My kids a tad too young for this, yet, but... You have a very valid point. Pocket money activities, 4c per patch :)

Like I said, seen them here locally for $30'ish max. I am pretty sure you don't need a special jag, just a jag for your cal, but one with the needle thingy, not an eye. Screw it! I have convinced myself. Will need to get off work early this week 'for personal reasons'. Very well, it will be done.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 09 Aug 2015, 6:27 pm

I use a loop jag, run it up through the barrel, and then back down. this uses each side of the patch and does a pretty decent job
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Aug 2015, 10:36 pm

juststarting wrote:My kids a tad too young for this, yet, but... You have a very valid point. Pocket money activities, 4c per patch :)

Like I said, seen them here locally for $30'ish max. I am pretty sure you don't need a special jag, just a jag for your cal, but one with the needle thingy, not an eye. Screw it! I have convinced myself. Will need to get off work early this week 'for personal reasons'. Very well, it will be done.

:lol: :lol: love it!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sender » 12 Aug 2015, 11:57 am

Also use the rolls.

A $40 guillotine (with the lowering arm, not the rolling cutting wheel) cuts the patches perfectly with no fuss.
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 12 Aug 2015, 12:07 pm

I use pre cut patches, buy 1000 packs of all cal ranges and use them as package fillers instead of bubble wrap when ordering gear from OS.

Cheap as. I pay no more than 1¢ a patch.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 12 Aug 2015, 12:11 pm

^^^smart
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Skadoo » 13 Aug 2015, 12:13 pm

Yeah that's clever.
Skadoo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 07 Sep 2015, 11:14 pm

KWhorenet wrote:I use pre cut patches, buy 1000 packs of all cal ranges and use them as package fillers instead of bubble wrap when ordering gear from OS.

Cheap as. I pay no more than 1¢ a patch.

Errr, you use patches as package fillers when you buy things form overseas? How does that work? You send them patches so they pack your stuff with them? This statement makes no sense. :crazy:
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 07 Sep 2015, 11:44 pm

I think you might find that he orders patches to fill a box when buying other stuff and they fill the empty void. Costs no extra for postage.

Do it all the time, order a few items say fill the box with patches whatever it will take. All various sizes.

Got better things to do than sit around cutting patches and creating sore hands.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 07 Sep 2015, 11:53 pm

No, still makes no sense. Buying other stuff like TV? Or buying other stuff from a gun/camping shop? In which case, why all sorts of calibers? Something doesn't add up here.

re: cutting, yep - not for me, I buy pre-cut.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 08 Sep 2015, 8:36 am

See if this makes sence.

I ring up / order on line and buy say 500 Bullets, shipping is a flat rate $12.00 and the typical box used would normally have foam or whatever to fill the void and stop the boxes of bullets floating around loose. I say pack them with patches instead and my supplier uses the packets of patches as a filler inside the box.

Buy a set of reloading dies, maybe a couple of other small items. Shipping is still $12.00 so there is heaps of room inside a typical box used for shipping.

Makes perfect sence to me as did the previous comment.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Tiiger » 09 Sep 2015, 11:35 am

juststarting wrote:No, still makes no sense. Buying other stuff like TV? Or buying other stuff from a gun/camping shop? In which case, why all sorts of calibers? Something doesn't add up here.

He means like instead of them buying bubble wrap to protect what's the box they use the patches as the bubble wrap.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles