A 3-way tie...

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

A 3-way tie...

Post by Heckler303 » 09 Aug 2015, 6:13 pm

Hey again everybody.

So, due to a nice import of late pocket-money, I've now got at least 1400 dollars to spend to really get my hobby started, and this sorta ties with the 'tacticool' thread.

What I've been searching around for is a target rifle, that I can also take hunting with me, and is chambered for .308 (The reloading gear I'll be getting will be used on those cartridges most of the time, with the dies. bullets, primers, e.t.c). After a long search, reviews, magazine snips, videos on youtube, grouping photos, how long the barrels wear out, how accurate it is and blah blah blah, I've come up with 3 possible contenders to face off for who will get the first seat in the safe.

And they are:

1.Remington 700 BDL

2. Tikka T3 Lite

3. Savage 110.

All 3 look really good, all 3 can be made 'tacticool', all 3 are in 308, all 3 also can have spare parts that can be easily sent over. All 3 can fit in the safe just fine. All 3 have either an internal or external magazine of more than 1 round and can load from the top (which will be needed for target shooting). All 3 will last me a good long while and finally, all 3 fit into my budget range.

So, I ask the members of Enough Gun a big question, which one is the best to get? Currently, I'm leaning towards the Tikka, as it looks so gorgeous and only 600$, compared to the 700 which is usually more expensive. The savage looks ok, and the least expensive, but I'm not sure.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Re: A 3-way tie...

Post by aaronjo » 09 Aug 2015, 6:16 pm

You can top load a Tikka! Please teach me how...
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Heckler303 » 09 Aug 2015, 6:22 pm

aaronjo wrote:You can top load a Tikka! Please teach me how...

Ah, sorry, I just checked the facts on that one, you can't top load apparently, and I'd really need that for the target shooting.

EDIT: Actually, according to some other reports, with some of the Tikka T3s, you CAN top load them into an open magazine. Not sure regarding the varmint, but some of the others seem like they can do it. Its just a little bit more fiddly than a proper target rifle with a very easy drop-in system for loading.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Browning » 09 Aug 2015, 8:23 pm

Top load my T3 all the time... Sure it's not technically seated in the magazine before you slide the bolt forward, but we do it all the time when at the range or you need that quick shot on a varmint..
Just put empty magazine in, side feed, slide bolt forward..
It's not a "proper" top feed but unless you're bouncing along at a rate of speed in the ute or running and trying to load (neither of which you'd do anyway), then it works the same
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Heckler303 » 09 Aug 2015, 8:39 pm

Browning wrote:Top load my T3 all the time... Sure it's not technically seated in the magazine before you slide the bolt forward, but we do it all the time when at the range or you need that quick shot on a varmint..
Just put empty magazine in, side feed, slide bolt forward..
It's not a "proper" top feed but unless you're bouncing along at a rate of speed in the ute or running and trying to load (neither of which you'd do anyway), then it works the same

In all case, if you T3 can top load, then I think it'd be the best pick out of the bunch to choose from for the money, but I'll keep the thread open to those who want to voice their opinion. I can be swayed though, keep in mind :D
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by sandgroperbill » 09 Aug 2015, 9:41 pm

Nothing top feeds quite like a smle with stripper clips. And who needs tacticool when you have a true main battle rifle...

But on to an answer to your direct question, it would come down to personal preference. My personal preference would be the tikka action (thoughthe new ruger precision in .308 would fit the bill... Bit of a bugger that it would be hard to get licensed)
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Heckler303 » 09 Aug 2015, 10:22 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Nothing top feeds quite like a smle with stripper clips. And who needs tacticool when you have a true main battle rifle...

But on to an answer to your direct question, it would come down to personal preference. My personal preference would be the tikka action (thoughthe new ruger precision in .308 would fit the bill... Bit of a bugger that it would be hard to get licensed)

*Takes a look at it on google images*

I think off in the distance, I can hear a green calling....

assault weapon!!

But damn, that looks like a good rifle. I'll look into it.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by p3seven » 09 Aug 2015, 10:28 pm

Buy a Howa action and barrel. Then add either a Boyd or a Bell Carlson stock, Have the action bedded.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Aug 2015, 10:29 pm

If your undecided, check the twist rates of all 3 and decide on what weight projectile you will be running. That might help you choose.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Heckler303 » 09 Aug 2015, 10:30 pm

p3seven wrote:Buy a Howa action and barrel. Then add either a Boyd or a Bell Carlson stock, Have the action bedded.

I've taken a few glances at the howa before. In fact, depending on price, I'd probably wouldnt mind owning a howa in 223 alongside something like the Tikka. Got any clues on current lowest price on market ATM?
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by sandgroperbill » 09 Aug 2015, 10:58 pm

If you want an inexpensive and light hunting rifle, the ruger american might be worth a look. I was recently looking for a new rifle and was prepared to pay a LOT more, but the american just felt right to me. I am extremely pleased with it. Very difficult to load through the chamber. You have to use the mag.

My next choice would have been a nice t3 forrest.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by aaronjo » 10 Aug 2015, 12:37 am

If we can't get the Adler I think there's zero chance we'll get the Ruger Precision....
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 10 Aug 2015, 7:47 am

Both the Tikka and Remington can have a GRS stock fitted off the shelf if you want that little bit of Tacticool appeal. As already suggested, work out what you're going to shoot with it and pick the appropriate twist rate then decide on the rifle. I don't have any personal experience with Remington and I don't own a Tikka. I have shot a relatives 30 yr old Tikka 17 Remington and it's still a tack driver so I have a great deal of respect for the brand. Much depends on how you're planning to tart the rifle up as the Remington 700 has piles of aftermarket goodies available due to the popularity of the rifle. I'm very guilty of buying tacticool rifles purely on looks and have several but virtually all my hunting comes back to the same 3 rifles, Sako 204, Sako 22-250 and a Weatherby 257 Mag.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 10 Aug 2015, 8:02 am

Howa 1500 Heavy Barrel, barreled action in 308.
Ebay trigger dude trigger job.
Nice stock to suit.
Pillar & full length bedding.

Easy to top load. Will shoot very well with load development.
You will come out with change from you $1400 that you can put toward ammo or a good scope.

Stay away from the Tikka Lite for TARGET work. It won't do what you want if you are shooting long strings at the range. Perfect for hunting, but not so good for target.

grs-sprvrm-royal.jpg
GRS STOCK: $760 + Howa Action/Barrel: $550 + Trigger Job: $60. (this image from Gun Smiths website, not a Howa)
grs-sprvrm-royal.jpg (134.49 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Title_II » 10 Aug 2015, 8:07 am

I don't know anything about Tikka. 700s have suffered in the quality department in some models and the QC department a bit as well.

I don't know how much "target" your target is but Marlin makes very accurate .30-06s that are very inexpensive. If this is the kind of thing you are going to end up putting $2000 into after the first $1400 is gone then I don't know about Marlin because I don't do that and the 700 has the reputation for that. Savage are obviously good and accurate rifles as well.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Pom » 11 Aug 2015, 1:11 pm

Heckler303 wrote:Ah, sorry, I just checked the facts on that one, you can't top load apparently, and I'd really need that for the target shooting.

EDIT: Actually, according to some other reports, with some of the Tikka T3s, you CAN top load them into an open magazine. Not sure regarding the varmint, but some of the others seem like they can do it. Its just a little bit more fiddly than a proper target rifle with a very easy drop-in system for loading.

You're reading some mixed up terminology here from the sounds of it.

You can top feed a Tikka. That is open the bolt and place a round inside, close it and fire.

You can not top load a Tikka magazine inserted in a rifle. That is feed 3 rounds into the magazine through the open bolt.

e.g. Ruger which has an internal box mag. In the Rugers you open the bolt and feed a round in and push the round directly down into the magazine. The floor plate lowers and the round clicks in.

Tikka magazine do not load the cartridge directly downwards, they slide in and down from the front of the magazine. To top load a Tikka magazine while it was inserted in the rifle you would need to feed the round, move it forward into the barrel chamber, stick your fingers inside the action and push the rear of the round down into the front of the mag then slide it back and down.

Which obviously no one in their right mind would do.
Remington 700 VTR in .308 WIn
Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40
Sako A7 in 243 Win
Pom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 11 Aug 2015, 3:28 pm

Tikka Super varmint is what I would get, in 7mm-08 as well.

The 7mm-08 outperforms a .308 from 300 yards onwards.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 11 Aug 2015, 4:27 pm

Hi mate , I have a Remington 700 sps tactical , love it but now I'm looking at getting in to hunting more I sort of regret not getting something els , recamend getting something with dBm , I haven't got to shoot it much but its acuret , but emptying your 4 shots in to a mob of pigs you sorly wish you had more , a tikka for $600 sounds good tho . the mosberg MVP range looks to have really good velue for what I've seen ( threaded barrel , flueted bolt , flash hider , ext. )
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 13 Aug 2015, 12:05 pm

bear foot bowhunter wrote:a tikka for $600 sounds good tho

:thumbsup:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland