Question about ordering ammo online

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Question about ordering ammo online

Post by juststarting » 11 Aug 2015, 12:07 am

Does anyone order ammo online, e.g. from QLD to VIC; and
From overseas to Australia (VIC specifically).

Is it even legal, what are the requirements to do so, any recommendations on shops?

Cheers
sb
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Question about ordering ammo online

Post by TheDude » 11 Aug 2015, 6:17 am

I have from NSW to QLD. dangerous goods freight was about $80 for a crate of 880 rounds of 7.62x54r milsurp.

Importing from OS is a different story, don't know what's involved but most likely cost prohibitive

What are you after? You would want to buy a lot for the DG freight to be worth it over buying locally.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 13 Aug 2015, 12:00 am

@TheDude, nothing specific, just a brain fart, that's all.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 13 Aug 2015, 8:13 am

Importing from the U.S is cost prohibitive unless you have no other choice or you're buying a large quantity due to cost of export permits and import costs. Interstate is generally fine for loaded rounds but they'll need to go DG freight which may erode any savings made. Get into reloading or make friends with someone who reloads as it'll save you time and money.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by zobster » 13 Aug 2015, 8:55 am

I'm actually toying with that idea myself, ammo is expensive in tassie, but the freight cost almost cancel out any significant cost savings. A good reason might be because the local don't have what you want, eg, my LGS don't have any cci rimfire rounds
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 13 Aug 2015, 9:23 am

Do you have any friends down there that shoot? maybe get together, combine funds and see if you can negotiate a bulk order with shipping from Melbourne?
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by zobster » 13 Aug 2015, 12:27 pm

Too much trouble in organizing bulk buy/combined shipping. shipping is $130 / 10kg mainland to tassie, regardless of where on the mainland.

I have resigned myself to paying extra here in tassie, what is considered a good deal / "mates rates" is normal price on the mainland.

Anyways, will be going to Melbourne in September with the better half so might buy my limit back. Wished she has her firearms license.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Turkle » 17 Aug 2015, 3:20 pm

Depends on how much you want at a time but if you got the boat across with your car is there any reason you couldn't load up and take it back that way?
Tikka T3 Super Varmint - .22-250 Rem
Marlin XS7 - 7mm-08
Winchester 1902 - .22
Burris Eliminator / Weaver Super Slam
Turkle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rick » 03 Sep 2015, 11:34 am

A similar thought to me the Turkle.
Winchester Model 06 .22 Pump
Winchester Model 9422 .22WMR Lever, with scope
Marlin Model 1895 45-70 Government, Lever
3 shotguns, all 12 Ga, U/O, SKB, FEG (coach) and Fausti
maybe a Boito coach gun, just because I should have a SXS in the safe.
Rick
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by inventurkey » 07 Sep 2015, 10:08 am

TheDude wrote:I have from NSW to QLD. dangerous goods freight was about $80 for a crate of 880 rounds of 7.62x54r milsurp.

What that $80 total or just for the 'dangerous goods' stamp, plus the regular shipping?
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by zobster » 07 Sep 2015, 10:37 am

The boat option is a no go, some bloody clown tried driving a tonne of shotgun shells over from the VIC to TAS in a ford transit. He was not allowed to board and the boat has ever since imposed an ammo restriction. But the problem is that taking the boat is about $500 return. Not worth the time and money especially with the ammo restrictions.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 07 Sep 2015, 11:08 am

zobster wrote:I'm actually toying with that idea myself, ammo is expensive in tassie, but the freight cost almost cancel out any significant cost savings. A good reason might be because the local don't have what you want, eg, my LGS don't have any cci rimfire rounds

That's why handloading is a priority. You could buy at my LGS a pack of 100 30 cal projectiles at 25 a box. Wish I did get them though, they sold like hotcakes and now they're probably ordering in new stock.

Rimfire ammo is dirt cheap tho. I saw 22lr at 8$ a brick of 50, and that was the CCI mini-mag stuff. Good quality. 17HMR ranges from 20-30c a bullet depending on the brand, but hornady usually sells around the 30c per 17HMR though.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by zobster » 07 Sep 2015, 11:23 pm

May I ask which lgs are you talking about?

I was just at Launceston sports hut and hornady 17hmr was $26 per box of 50. Highland 22wmr hp was $20 per box of 50.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Title_II » 07 Sep 2015, 11:32 pm

zobster wrote:Anyways, will be going to Melbourne in September with the better half so might buy my limit back. Wished she has her firearms license.

How is the amount of ammo you buy limited?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by juststarting » 07 Sep 2015, 11:36 pm

Just to repoint this discussion, can anyone suggest/link to actual shops that sell ammo online? Not anecdotal, specifics please.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 07 Sep 2015, 11:55 pm

;) Let your fingers do the walking.... ;)

Or, in this case...Google.

I have purchased powder and rimfire ammo online and not in small quantities, cost $10 shipping each time. NSW only.

I'm not about to say from where on a Forum nor even by PM. I don't want to loose my source. In this case they will not ship interstate as there is a risk it will go by air.

Keep looking, you will find someone.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 08 Sep 2015, 12:02 am

Understandable.

Yeah, Melbourne is proving to be difficult. May try regional stores, but all metropolitan ones don't seem to do it, unfortunately.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by zobster » 08 Sep 2015, 12:56 am

Airlines have a 5kg ammo limit, that's 5kg gross weight. Got to email them 48h in advance to inform them that you'll be flying with ammo as well
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by zobster » 08 Sep 2015, 11:13 am

juststarting wrote:Just to repoint this discussion, can anyone suggest/link to actual shops that sell ammo online? Not anecdotal, specifics please.

http://www.extremeoutdoorsports.com.au/

Give these people a call, they do sell online but freight is a bit of a pinch.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 08 Sep 2015, 6:47 pm

zobster wrote:May I ask which lgs are you talking about?

I was just at Launceston sports hut and hornady 17hmr was $26 per box of 50. Highland 22wmr hp was $20 per box of 50.

Crap, I WAS talking about sports hut. Thanks for refreshing current prices, I've actually not been there for months.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Rippah » 10 Sep 2015, 11:52 am

zobster wrote:Airlines have a 5kg ammo limit, that's 5kg gross weight. Got to email them 48h in advance to inform them that you'll be flying with ammo as well

That'd be some trip to need 5kg of ammo :lol:
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Heckler303 » 12 Sep 2015, 12:05 pm

Rippah wrote:
zobster wrote:Airlines have a 5kg ammo limit, that's 5kg gross weight. Got to email them 48h in advance to inform them that you'll be flying with ammo as well

That'd be some trip to need 5kg of ammo :lol:

Maybe its lotsa bunnies where they are heading to.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by zobster » 14 Sep 2015, 9:57 am

5 kg of ammo isn't exactly a lot, think about it, a 20 cartridge pack of 308 is about 560g. So 5 kg would only approximate to 200 cartridges. That's not a whole lot when you consider tassie ammo prices and you would like to stock up when you get to fly interstate.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Title_II » 14 Sep 2015, 10:34 am

Actually,we have have some sort of limit for total mass of ammo in checked baggage in the US on airplanes as well. The difference being nobody here is flying around looking for ammo deals. I know there are rare instances where people ship ammo to their hotel or to destination contacts if they travel to subgun matches or MG shoots, although most people would be willing to drive a day or two if they were bringing that much gear for fear of theft. Keep in mind you can mail several thousand rounds of rifle ammo in the US for maybe $30. I buy cases (1000 rounds) online when there are free shipping offers. I know you guys pay way more to ship ammo.

I've only carried half a case of ammo at most on airplanes for self defense and maybe a quick range trip at my destination. Places to buy ammo are not exactly rare in the US, so I can get regular amounts of ammo when I get where I am going.

I've also been lucky in that all the states I have flown to in recent years allow me to carry in the airport. So I am armed when check my guns with the counter, and I rearm at my destination in the bathroom before I leave the airport. TWO TIMES I had baggage counter women ask me a weird question when I said I needed to check a firearm.

"OK, do you want to check it in you checked baggage or do you want to carry it onto the plane?"

WTF?

What I wanted to say was, "Well, what are my options? :D"

What I did was look around, and then say, "I think I'm going to check it in my baggage"

:D

No idea where that comes from. I guess they are thinking of air marshals or pilots.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by fawksel » 14 Sep 2015, 11:38 am

zobster wrote:5 kg of ammo isn't exactly a lot, think about it, a 20 cartridge pack of 308 is about 560g. So 5 kg would only approximate to 200 cartridges. That's not a whole lot when you consider tassie ammo prices and you would like to stock up when you get to fly interstate.

True. Sounds like a lot when you just say 5kg though IMO.
Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum
Remington 770 Stainless Camo .270 Win
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR
fawksel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles