Question about ordering ammo online

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Question about ordering ammo online

Post by zobster » 08 Sep 2015, 11:13 am

juststarting wrote:Just to repoint this discussion, can anyone suggest/link to actual shops that sell ammo online? Not anecdotal, specifics please.

http://www.extremeoutdoorsports.com.au/

Give these people a call, they do sell online but freight is a bit of a pinch.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 08 Sep 2015, 6:47 pm

zobster wrote:May I ask which lgs are you talking about?

I was just at Launceston sports hut and hornady 17hmr was $26 per box of 50. Highland 22wmr hp was $20 per box of 50.

Crap, I WAS talking about sports hut. Thanks for refreshing current prices, I've actually not been there for months.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Rippah » 10 Sep 2015, 11:52 am

zobster wrote:Airlines have a 5kg ammo limit, that's 5kg gross weight. Got to email them 48h in advance to inform them that you'll be flying with ammo as well

That'd be some trip to need 5kg of ammo :lol:
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Heckler303 » 12 Sep 2015, 12:05 pm

Rippah wrote:
zobster wrote:Airlines have a 5kg ammo limit, that's 5kg gross weight. Got to email them 48h in advance to inform them that you'll be flying with ammo as well

That'd be some trip to need 5kg of ammo :lol:

Maybe its lotsa bunnies where they are heading to.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by zobster » 14 Sep 2015, 9:57 am

5 kg of ammo isn't exactly a lot, think about it, a 20 cartridge pack of 308 is about 560g. So 5 kg would only approximate to 200 cartridges. That's not a whole lot when you consider tassie ammo prices and you would like to stock up when you get to fly interstate.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Title_II » 14 Sep 2015, 10:34 am

Actually,we have have some sort of limit for total mass of ammo in checked baggage in the US on airplanes as well. The difference being nobody here is flying around looking for ammo deals. I know there are rare instances where people ship ammo to their hotel or to destination contacts if they travel to subgun matches or MG shoots, although most people would be willing to drive a day or two if they were bringing that much gear for fear of theft. Keep in mind you can mail several thousand rounds of rifle ammo in the US for maybe $30. I buy cases (1000 rounds) online when there are free shipping offers. I know you guys pay way more to ship ammo.

I've only carried half a case of ammo at most on airplanes for self defense and maybe a quick range trip at my destination. Places to buy ammo are not exactly rare in the US, so I can get regular amounts of ammo when I get where I am going.

I've also been lucky in that all the states I have flown to in recent years allow me to carry in the airport. So I am armed when check my guns with the counter, and I rearm at my destination in the bathroom before I leave the airport. TWO TIMES I had baggage counter women ask me a weird question when I said I needed to check a firearm.

"OK, do you want to check it in you checked baggage or do you want to carry it onto the plane?"

WTF?

What I wanted to say was, "Well, what are my options? :D"

What I did was look around, and then say, "I think I'm going to check it in my baggage"

:D

No idea where that comes from. I guess they are thinking of air marshals or pilots.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by fawksel » 14 Sep 2015, 11:38 am

zobster wrote:5 kg of ammo isn't exactly a lot, think about it, a 20 cartridge pack of 308 is about 560g. So 5 kg would only approximate to 200 cartridges. That's not a whole lot when you consider tassie ammo prices and you would like to stock up when you get to fly interstate.

True. Sounds like a lot when you just say 5kg though IMO.
Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum
Remington 770 Stainless Camo .270 Win
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR
fawksel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles