My New Toy!! Please show me some Photos of yours!

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

My New Toy!! Please show me some Photos of yours!

Post by MalleeFarmer » 11 Aug 2015, 6:23 pm

Ok Not new. But damn it's good. It's an April 76 Interarms Mark X Whitworth. Just had it rebarreled By Ziersch Custom Rifles in .308 with a 20' Kreiger #5 Bull Sporter it has an 11degree recessed target Crown and iron Sights off a Mini Mauser. Had a complete Re Blue And action polish. Still had original stock not too bad but few nicks and dings. do you like it or hate it? What is your preferred hunting rifle?

1.jpg
1.jpg (59.97 KiB) Viewed 6607 times

2.jpg
2.jpg (54.41 KiB) Viewed 6607 times

3.jpg
3.jpg (45.49 KiB) Viewed 6607 times

4.jpg
4.jpg (57.44 KiB) Viewed 6607 times

5.jpg
5.jpg (47.12 KiB) Viewed 6607 times
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: My New Toy!! Please show me some Photos of yours!

Post by brett1868 » 11 Aug 2015, 6:47 pm

Try resizing the pictures to around 1280x960 before uploading, makes seeing them a bit easier. I see a shiny bolt and real potential in the stock. I assume you're making a project of it to restore to all its former glory?
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Aug 2015, 7:05 pm

Very nice mate, I'd strip the stock and then swell the dents out with an iron and damp tea towel, it should get most of the dents out without too much fuss (so long as the grain hasn't been cut type thing) I've got a soft spot for the older style firearms myself.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 11 Aug 2015, 7:22 pm

Cheers for the Heads up on the upload size. :roll: next time. Yea planning on trying to get it close to original though the bull barrel is a little heavier than the sporter that was on there and 6' shorter. but also I don't want to be too precious about it being a looker so that it ends up being a useless safe queen. :thumbsdown: I like the older style hunting rifles as well. mausers and CRF actions and iron sights they were a special request of mine the Gunsmith didn't want to do it but he did and it came out a treat. Even found some 2nd Hand ones that were off of a short barrel so focused right on the 20' barrel.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Aug 2015, 7:30 pm

You should open a Imgur account mate, upload ya photos to that (I use it and its simple and quick to use and costs nothing, I find it better than the photobucket account I had previously. :thumbsup:

http://imgur.com/
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Aug 2015, 8:10 pm

Looks great. Sometimes we forget a rifle is good for a few thousand rounds.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 18 Aug 2015, 1:20 pm

Gotta find the bloody battery for the camera.

Why doesn't everything use AA's :x
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by dogmatix » 20 Aug 2015, 12:02 pm

My new toy is the evil looking black thing sticking out the bottom! One of two actually.

Rifle is a Molot Vepr in .308Win, so you can imagine the fun it is to source mags larger than 5 rounds, as Saiga 308 mags don't fit.
No one in NZ wanted to deal with the distributors in Russia for factory 10 rounders for me.
The best after market mags are CSSpecs, who make steel 10, 20 and 25 rounders, but they don't export from the USA.
So I finally managed a special order with the lovely folks at Brownells (real good price too) for 2 Promag branded 20 round mags.
Ordered two initially to check the fit.
After a loooong 17 week wait, the mags finally arrived.

As expected with Promag, a few hours of fitting were required to: A - make then fit the mag well, B - remove all the sharp edges off everything, to save my fingers and palms.
Seems to cycle well with snap caps, will find out if they do with the real thing this Sunday.
If all goes to plan, I'll get another import permit and then order some more.
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by Title_II » 20 Aug 2015, 12:27 pm

dogmatix wrote:My new toy is the evil looking black thing sticking out the bottom! One of two actually.

I hope your bottom gets well soon ;)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by dogmatix » 20 Aug 2015, 12:31 pm

Haha... yes that may have come across the wrong way. Hopefully the only eyes that will water will be the feral goats, pigs and hopefully a nice red deer.
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by Blackened » 25 Aug 2015, 11:10 am

brett1868 wrote:Try resizing the pictures to around 1280x960 before uploading, makes seeing them a bit easier. I see a shiny bolt and real potential in the stock. I assume you're making a project of it to restore to all its former glory?

MalleeFarmer wrote:Cheers for the Heads up on the upload size.

Sorted now. Sized them all down a bit.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 26 Aug 2015, 6:14 pm

dogmatix wrote:My new toy is the evil looking black thing sticking out the bottom! One of two actually.

Rifle is a Molot Vepr in .308Win, so you can imagine the fun it is to source mags larger than 5 rounds, as Saiga 308 mags don't fit.
No one in NZ wanted to deal with the distributors in Russia for factory 10 rounders for me.
The best after market mags are CSSpecs, who make steel 10, 20 and 25 rounders, but they don't export from the USA.
So I finally managed a special order with the lovely folks at Brownells (real good price too) for 2 Promag branded 20 round mags.
Ordered two initially to check the fit.
After a loooong 17 week wait, the mags finally arrived.

As expected with Promag, a few hours of fitting were required to: A - make then fit the mag well, B - remove all the sharp edges off everything, to save my fingers and palms.
Seems to cycle well with snap caps, will find out if they do with the real thing this Sunday.
If all goes to plan, I'll get another import permit and then order some more.

You Lucky bugger!!! Dang I wish I were in NZ here in Aus the more privileged of us can get a semi auto rimfire the rest have to settle for bolt or lever actions
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 26 Aug 2015, 7:34 pm

bentaz wrote:My new toy, Winchester 37A :thumbsup:

Nice mate! :thumbsup:
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigtone » 26 Aug 2015, 8:23 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Looks great. Sometimes we forget a rifle is good for a few thousand rounds.

Only a few thousand rounds! My brother put 2800 rounds through his tikka 223 last trip. It still shoots better than 1moa and its had about 8000 rounds through it this year so far. He better start saving for a new one!
It's not banned in Queensland but you just can't have one!
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Sender » 27 Aug 2015, 2:32 pm

bentaz wrote:My new toy, Winchester 37A :thumbsup:

What're they going for these days mate?
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Wes » 31 Aug 2015, 3:53 pm

bigtone wrote:Only a few thousand rounds! My brother put 2800 rounds through his tikka 223 last trip. It still shoots better than 1moa and its had about 8000 rounds through it this year so far. He better start saving for a new one!

2,800 in one trip :lol:

Go man go!
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 07 Dec 2015, 12:59 pm

Ok so I have refinished the stock I sanded the whole thing back except the checkering. That was my bane. :oops: the stock came up for the most part I think better than the 30yo varnish/Pu finish it previously had but the stock had some damage that I could not remove in the form of deep dents and scratches even with an iron and damp rag. Tried removing varnish from checkering with a toothbrush and oven cleaner it worked to some extent but the checkering still came out much darker than the rest of the stock. I then oiled it probably a dozen times with pale boiled linseed oil. Since it was my first effort refinishing a stock I'm quite happy with the outcome.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 5254 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 5254 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 5254 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 5254 times
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 07 Dec 2015, 1:02 pm

Personally, I actually like the extra contrast of the checkering
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 07 Dec 2015, 11:03 pm

As above, the darker checkering sets off the lighter timber. Nice job mate, I still love the look and feel of timber.
Last edited by brett1868 on 07 Dec 2015, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 07 Dec 2015, 11:27 pm

Got some new toys as well...

Nothing screams small man syndrome like a Desert Eagle 44 Magnum. Bought and paid for but will have to wait till March before I can pick it up. Need to get off my provisional pistol license and apply for the High Caliber Permit. At least it's there when I'm ready and I'm safe from any price hikes between now and then. Going to get myself a 45ACP 1911 Colt along with a pair of single action revolvers for Western action as I can see myself taking that up in the near future, a mate shoots Western Action and I'm tired of hearing about all the fun he's having.
IMG_1986.JPG
Desert Eagle 44 Magnum with brake...Yeehaa
IMG_1986.JPG (159.97 KiB) Viewed 5223 times

Was looking at these some time ago and was going to buy online from the U.S but whilst in Santa Barbara last month I was looking round the Apple store and found it on the shelf at a much better price. This is one very cool gadget with many uses, my primary aim is to use it to spot game at night or to track wounded animals so I can finish them off ethically though the range is listed as only 30m but I'll see if it'll "See" further. Comes in great for playing hide and seek with the cat in pitch black conditions. Has a nice feature of displaying the temp in the reticle. Plenty of uses for this toy :) It's a small dual lens camera not much bigger than a match box that connects to an Apple lightening port, one lens is the FLIR sensor and the other a conventional camera which overlays the visible image on the thermal image. Cost me just over $300 which is a lot of tech for very little coin.
IMG_1992.JPG
Flir One clip on for the iPhone
IMG_1992.JPG (261.66 KiB) Viewed 5223 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 08 Dec 2015, 6:45 am

bigtone wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Looks great. Sometimes we forget a rifle is good for a few thousand rounds.

Only a few thousand rounds! My brother put 2800 rounds through his tikka 223 last trip. It still shoots better than 1moa and its had about 8000 rounds through it this year so far. He better start saving for a new one!

I own two full autos and I have never fired 2800 rounds on a range trip. Your brother is awesome! :)

I bet he was really nice to his wife, because he probably couldn't masturbate for a week after running that bolt 2800 times!
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 08 Dec 2015, 9:39 am

Title_II wrote:
bigtone wrote:

I own two full autos and I have never fired 2800 rounds on a range trip. Your brother is awesome! :)

I bet he was really nice to his wife, because he probably couldn't masturbate for a week after running that bolt 2800 times!

That's somewhere around 60+ rounds an hour for 8 hours a day over a 7 day trip. And, at 50c a round that's still $1400.

Wouldn't need to save for a new rifle if he can afford to shoot those volumes!!!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 08 Dec 2015, 9:42 am

Rifle looks god, BTW, Malley.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 08 Dec 2015, 10:21 am

That looks like a nice Zasty, sorry Interarms Mark X Whitworth ;) .. for a 40yr old rifle, it mustn't have done much work if any, I wouldnt believe the old barrel was worn as that action could pass for a near new (at least from this distance...)... with a bit of wear from the extractor visible on the bolt and thats about it.

I'd strip the stock and maybe oil it.....
The 20inch is a good handy size, and open sights to boot....enjoy

edit to add.... OK, you done the refinish thing :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 08 Dec 2015, 10:30 am

Title_II wrote:
bigtone wrote:

He should be alright... the thumbs get the workout firing all those rounds.... on Xbox that is :P
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 08 Dec 2015, 7:03 pm

"I bet he was really nice to his wife, because he probably couldn't masturbate for a week after running that bolt 2800 times!"

Gets my vote for best one liner in ages... :lol:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 08 Dec 2015, 9:12 pm

I like the older style hunting rifles as well. mausers and CRF actions and iron sights they were a special request of mine the Gunsmith didn't want to do it but he did and it came out a treat. Even found some 2nd Hand ones that were off of a short barrel so focused right on the 20' barrel.

how hard was it for him to put the sights on ?
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 09 Dec 2015, 12:55 pm

Not new but had a nice photo of my two favourite toys sitting here so here they are :D

Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 09 Dec 2015, 12:55 pm

bear foot bowhunter wrote:
I like the older style hunting rifles as well. mausers and CRF actions and iron sights they were a special request of mine the Gunsmith didn't want to do it but he did and it came out a treat. Even found some 2nd Hand ones that were off of a short barrel so focused right on the 20' barrel.

how hard was it for him to put the sights on ?

I don't know how hard it was for him to put them on but he didn't want to do it. They came up a treat though.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 09 Dec 2015, 12:59 pm

brett1868 wrote:Got some new toys as well...

Nothing screams small man syndrome like a Desert Eagle 44 Magnum. Bought and paid for but will have to wait till March before I can pick it up. Need to get off my provisional pistol license and apply for the High Caliber Permit. At least it's there when I'm ready and I'm safe from any price hikes between now and then. Going to get myself a 45ACP 1911 Colt along with a pair of single action revolvers for Western action as I can see myself taking that up in the near future, a mate shoots Western Action and I'm tired of hearing about all the fun he's having.
IMG_1986.JPG

Was looking at these some time ago and was going to buy online from the U.S but whilst in Santa Barbara last month I was looking round the Apple store and found it on the shelf at a much better price. This is one very cool gadget with many uses, my primary aim is to use it to spot game at night or to track wounded animals so I can finish them off ethically though the range is listed as only 30m but I'll see if it'll "See" further. Comes in great for playing hide and seek with the cat in pitch black conditions. Has a nice feature of displaying the temp in the reticle. Plenty of uses for this toy :) It's a small dual lens camera not much bigger than a match box that connects to an Apple lightening port, one lens is the FLIR sensor and the other a conventional camera which overlays the visible image on the thermal image. Cost me just over $300 which is a lot of tech for very little coin.
IMG_1992.JPG

Ah that's a nice looking toy Brett. I'd love a pistol but I live about 2h from my nearest pistol club. :cry: ah well rifles it is for me! :drinks:
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles