CZ 455 rifle with changeable barrels

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

CZ 455 rifle with changeable barrels

Post by zobster » 17 Aug 2015, 8:12 am

Any of you guys own the CZ 455 with the 3 barrels?

I had one for about 6 months now, during which I've swapped the barrels once, 22lr -> 22mg -> 17hmr -> 22lr and not changed it back until last sat. I didn't hunt with it, just plinking and trying out the new barrels. Last sat I put on the 22mag barrel and was trying to zero it. For some reason, it will not group smaller than 3 inches at 68m. I was using cci 22mag maxi mag. After trying for about 40 shots, I decided it was good enough and when wallaby shooting (chest shots at about 25m).

When I got home, I took it apart for cleaning and found that the barrel was quite dirty as compared to my howa 223. Both rifles shot approximately the same number of rounds the whole trip but it looks to me the 223 hardly needs any cleaning at all.

I'm confused.

When you change the barrel on your cz, how much do you tighten the screws? I go finger tight on the short end, then finger tight on the long end, then another 1/8 of a turn.

On a totally different subject, what ammo actually penetrates, expands and dissipates all its energy into the target? I'm asking that because, the 22lr and mag seems to be punching holes straight through the animal, based on the dirt "cloud" behind.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Changing Barrels on CZ 455

Post by zobster » 19 Aug 2015, 9:32 am

I figured out what went wrong, I forgot to loosen the magazine screw before swapping the barrels over this time.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Blackened » 25 Aug 2015, 4:28 pm

Made a new topic for your ammo question, Zobster, as it'll get more of a response in a dedicated topic rather than an afterthought here ;)

22lr and 22mag hunting ammo
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Bosbefok » 25 Aug 2015, 10:07 pm

I have been considering this rifle with multi barrels. You mentioned you found the problem. Does the rifle shoot accurately again? How are you finding the rifle and is it accurate? I am looking for an accurate rimfire.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by zobster » 26 Aug 2015, 2:24 pm

Thanks Blackened.

I'm very happy with this rifle, it shoots well and is very accurate for what you pay. Before I swapped the 22lr barrel for the mag, it was getting 3/4" groups at about 75yrds using federal bulk 22lr. I have yet been able to head out again after I loosen the magazine screw, loosed the barrel screw, remove barrel, re-insert barrel, tighten barrel and tighten magazine screw.

Overall, I like the way the rifle looks and feels, any accuracy problems is solely due to me. The only thing that bothers me is the blued barrel, I know it's a non-issue but for me I feel that blued barrels require more TLC as compared to a stainless barrel. I like the timber stock but being timber, I feel more "pain" when I get a ding on the stock. If cz were to come up with a stainless version of the 455, that's the one I'll upgrade to. But in the mean time, I'm keeping the current cz.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Bourt » 27 Aug 2015, 2:13 pm

Have you gone from the 22lr barrel to something else then back to the 22lr barrel?

How close to the same zero was it after the barrel change? (if you've done it yet)
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by zobster » 27 Aug 2015, 4:46 pm

I've done it once when I first got the rifle, I zeroed @ 50m using 22lr then put on the 22mag and zeroed again @ 50m then put on the 17hmr and zeroed again @ 50m. I made notes of the elevation and windage setting on the turrets for each of the barrels. I found that when I switch between barrels they will be a little off but not much, maybe 4/5 clicks? I don't remember exactly as I have since misplaced my notes.

After this session, I put back on the 22lr barrel and have let it on until a couple of weeks ago when I scored some cheap 22mag ammo and decided to use them up first.

The thing is that I don't have a troque screwdriver and that each time I change the barrels, there is going to be small differences in how tight the screws are done up and thereby affect the POI. My standard is I use the long end and get it finger tight, then I switch to the short end and turn it another 1/8 of a turn. Financial consultant aka partner says that I need to slow down on buying gun stuff, especially after I bought my 223. LOL! Anyways, I'm saving up for the F.A.T wrench as a Christmas present for myself.

Then there also the issue of which brand of ammo the rifle likes. I found out that mine like cci 22lr, mostly the high velocity cartridges, partial with federal bulk 22lr / highland and don't really like winchester anything. 22wmr wise, it likes hornandy/cci, that's all I manage to find anyway. 17hmr I've only manage to try cci, this the rifle likes the best.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Elek » 31 Aug 2015, 9:43 am

zobster wrote:I found that when I switch between barrels they will be a little off but not much, maybe 4/5 clicks?

Not too bad. Not going to cost you a shot/miss at rimfire ranges of course.
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles