I want a bigger bang...

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: I want a bigger bang...

Post by anthillinside » 28 Aug 2015, 10:28 pm

Title_II wrote:How about a 37mm gun? Rifled, cartridge rounds (not high explosive).

YES PLEASE :D

I can just see the result of submitting a Permit To Acuire .... Instant street party of red and blue disco lights ... and an extended stay at one of her majestys bed and breakfasts. :silent:
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 29 Aug 2015, 2:25 am

aaronjo wrote:Allrighty, it's done and dusted!

Sako A7 Stainless in 7mm-08 with a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 and Leupold PRW rings.

Great choice, quality rifle and scope but I'm no fan of the Leupold PRW rings as I don't like springing them apart to fit over the tube. I use cellophane tape on the scope to protect it while using a pair of T-Handle hex keys to spring them open and over the tube before removing the tape. I'm sure you'll get a lot of satisfaction with this package, enjoy and let us know how it performs.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 29 Aug 2015, 9:15 am

Hey, do any tasmanians here know whats the biggest calibre allowed in the state? I've seen 338. projectiles + full ammo stocked up in my LGS, but I'm not entirely sure if I could even put in a permit to acquire on that one. I did try ringing up Firearms Services, but the kind lady on the other end didn't even sound like she knew what a bullet was :crazy:
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Chronos » 29 Aug 2015, 10:31 am

Heckler303 wrote:Hey, do any tasmanians here know whats the biggest calibre allowed in the state? I've seen 338. projectiles + full ammo stocked up in my LGS, but I'm not entirely sure if I could even put in a permit to acquire on that one. I did try ringing up Firearms Services, but the kind lady on the other end didn't even sound like she knew what a bullet was :crazy:

I know one bloke down in tassie with a .50 Alaskan, don't know if there's a "caliber" limit as such, your licencing service should be your guide, if you can't get a straight answer i don't know what the next step would be

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 29 Aug 2015, 9:25 pm

Well after talking again to firearms services I found out the following:

There is practically no limit on caliber here in tasmania. Just as long as it doesn't go past 50BMG in terms of 'power' you're all good.

Actually, there's a range I could go to that offers 375, 416, 460, 577 and 600 NE, all the way up to (if you're bloody well rich enough) trying your hand at the 700 nitro express. Maybe I should borrow the 700 for rabbit plinking :D
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by ebr love » 01 Sep 2015, 9:16 am

Title_II wrote:How about a 37mm gun? Rifled, cartridge rounds (not high explosive).

Non explosive? Why ruin the fun? :mrgreen:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 01 Sep 2015, 11:15 am

ebr love wrote:

Non explosive? Why ruin the fun? :mrgreen:

Trying to keep it simple :)

I really can't have explosive rounds larger than 20mm here in Pennsylvania unless I start a gun business. In other states you need to register each round that contains more than 7 grams of explosives (unless you decide to get a license) so most average joes stay away from them.

Explosives that are not weapons are fine as long as you use them within 24 hours, such that there is no need to store them. If you want to store them there are requirements and if you want to transport them there are even more requirements.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Noisydad » 01 Sep 2015, 12:57 pm

Most black powder clubs (including mine) do a live firing target comp for cannon.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 01 Sep 2015, 1:23 pm

I haven't seen a large BP cannon fire in a long time. I started looking into them a few years ago but the big ones are several thousand dollars in America :(. And then they want a few thousand for the carriage.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 02 Sep 2015, 8:49 am

bentaz wrote:We looked into a bit, my dad is a big BP buff, we think it would be heaps cheaper to get one made.
Buy the lump of steel, get someone to turn it and drill it for you and build your own carriage.
Might not be as pretty as an old one but who could tell with that much smoke in the air.
Main thing that stopped the old man going further into it was the cost to shoot it, he was looking at between 30 N 50 bucks a shot

So shoot it once per range trip :)

Other people will want to shoot it, tell them they have to buy a load since $50 doesn't grow on trees. Honestly, I ask most of my friends to bring ammo when they shoot my MGs. Not that I wouldn't let them shoot my ammo, I would. It just adds up with 4 or 5 people running them all day.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Rocker » 09 Sep 2015, 11:28 am

No one is going to take the opportunity with this title for a "that's what she said" joke? :lol:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 09 Sep 2015, 1:04 pm

Rocker wrote:No one is going to take the opportunity with this title for a "that's what she said" joke? :lol:

When I read it I actually thought he was a chubby chaser :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Rippah » 10 Sep 2015, 11:50 am

Has probably been 50 jokes and mods are clearing them out :lol:
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah