I want a bigger bang...

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: I want a bigger bang...

Post by aaronjo » 22 Aug 2015, 8:21 pm

And the battle rages on!

On a side note, not bad for cheap factory ammo. Winny 55gr bulk pack. 100m.

That'll do me...

4 shots in 2 holes.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 4638 times
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Strikey » 22 Aug 2015, 8:28 pm

All I can see is a whole lot of white paper with half a finger/thumb nail on it :? :crazy:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 22 Aug 2015, 9:52 pm

Just get a .50 BMG rifle and be done with it. You know you want to :)

Strikey wrote:All I can see is a whole lot of white paper with half a finger/thumb nail on it :? :crazy:

Group is so tight the hole closed! :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Heckler303 » 22 Aug 2015, 10:02 pm

Strikey wrote:Heckler, have you shot a lot of buffalo with your .308 down there in Tassie? :lol: :lol:

I zipped my maths teacher in the arse with a pen gun, does that count? :D
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by aaronjo » 23 Aug 2015, 12:52 pm

After deciding on the caliber, then it's the rifle, then which scope....

This is just the first stage of selection criteria for a all round, relatively lightweight carry around hunting rifle.

The .223 Tikka Varmint is great for shooting outta a car or on a bonnet but I'm not gonna be walking all day with that...
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 23 Aug 2015, 1:52 pm

So you want something light...

First question I would be asking is how recoil sensitive are you?

Tikka t3, weatherby vanguard/howa 1500 in synthetic or ruger american in .243? Don't get too close to .30cal or it may make it difficult to get your .300wm later on.

But, I go back to my earlier suggestion. Go choose a rifle first. There are a lot of calibres out there that are near enough as makes no difference in terms of hunting applications. Find something nice and light that balances well, fits your shoulder nicely and feels right. This is more important than calibre when it comes to hunting
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 23 Aug 2015, 2:04 pm

aaronjo wrote:After deciding on the caliber, then it's the rifle, then which scope....

This is just the first stage of selection criteria for a all round, relatively lightweight carry around hunting rifle.

Have you decided on calibre let alone rifle or scope...lol.

Nothing wrong with a heavier rifle, it will build up arms shoulders and back carrying it around.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by aaronjo » 23 Aug 2015, 5:00 pm

Current plan is possibly a Sako A7 synthetic stainless in 7mm-08 with a VX3 or Zeiss Conquest.

Heading to the shop this coming week.

Always subject to change when I get there, lol!
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigtone » 23 Aug 2015, 6:14 pm

Lucky you don't live in Queensland where everything bigger than 338 lap is not banned but you just can't have one. Get a 50BMG just because you can. And it makes Queenslanders sad too which might be a bonus too!
It's not banned in Queensland but you just can't have one!
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 23 Aug 2015, 11:14 pm

He's in wa. 50bmg is banned and .338 is effectively banned. It is possible but you have to take it to the administrative appeals tribunal. Also, because of this, nobody stocks .338 lapua ammo.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Broom » 24 Aug 2015, 3:34 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:I am starting to think a .243 is the best first centrefire, it can take more species and saves any urgency to get something bigger,if you start with a .223 you will be getting something bigger it's not a case of if but when.

Only hindered by the fact it's not legal for the larger deer species in a lot of places.

If it was I reckon a .243 with 90gr or 95gr pills would be the all round go-to for a lot of shooters.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Baronvonrort » 24 Aug 2015, 5:28 pm

brett1868 wrote:Only had the ADI data to go off for the 7mm-08 so used it for both just to have an even playing field.
between those 2 choices I'd probably go the 7mm-08 due to lower recoil and less powder.

Nosler have some pretty good data for what they sell,worth having a look if using their products.
www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/7mm-08-remington.

I didn't think less powder and lower recoil would be a factor for you :D
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 24 Aug 2015, 5:47 pm

I didn't think less powder and lower recoil would be a factor for you :D

Touché brother :drinks:

Nothing like throwing 2.5kgs of powder to load 200 rounds to make a short guy feel just that little bit taller. I have to confess that I had my right shoulder surgically enhanced to deal with recoil. (Truth be told, I high sided a Hayabusa doing something stupid and ripped my shoulder out of the joint. It's all screwed together now and as a bonus almost it's impervious to recoil but don't tell anyone :silent: )
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 24 Aug 2015, 7:12 pm

I have been through the motorcycle stage,started (road) with L plates on a RD250LC then moved up to GPZ and GSXR1100's, I recall an old guy saying youngfella there are 2 types of riders, those who fall and those who are going to fall.

You can stand a bit taller knowing we are happy with what you have,someone has to buy the guns that piss the antis off. :drinks:
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 25 Aug 2015, 10:11 am

brett1868 wrote:Nothing like throwing 2.5kgs of powder to load 200 rounds to make a short guy feel just that little bit taller.

Dunno about the feeling taller bit, I just remember my wallet recoiling from the shock when I started loading the .416 :lol:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by aaronjo » 27 Aug 2015, 7:00 pm

Allrighty, it's done and dusted!

Sako A7 Stainless in 7mm-08 with a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 and Leupold PRW rings.
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 28 Aug 2015, 9:15 pm

Cool! Nice caliber and sounds like decent glass.

I have a question. If you live outside Queensland, WA, and other crappy gun law states, is there a limit on caliber/mm? I'm not looking for a state by state breakdown, just wondering if there is an overall limit or if you are allowed to have cannon and stuff.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 28 Aug 2015, 9:55 pm

How about a 37mm gun? Rifled, cartridge rounds (not high explosive).
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by anthillinside » 28 Aug 2015, 10:28 pm

Title_II wrote:How about a 37mm gun? Rifled, cartridge rounds (not high explosive).

YES PLEASE :D

I can just see the result of submitting a Permit To Acuire .... Instant street party of red and blue disco lights ... and an extended stay at one of her majestys bed and breakfasts. :silent:
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 29 Aug 2015, 2:25 am

aaronjo wrote:Allrighty, it's done and dusted!

Sako A7 Stainless in 7mm-08 with a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 and Leupold PRW rings.

Great choice, quality rifle and scope but I'm no fan of the Leupold PRW rings as I don't like springing them apart to fit over the tube. I use cellophane tape on the scope to protect it while using a pair of T-Handle hex keys to spring them open and over the tube before removing the tape. I'm sure you'll get a lot of satisfaction with this package, enjoy and let us know how it performs.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 29 Aug 2015, 9:15 am

Hey, do any tasmanians here know whats the biggest calibre allowed in the state? I've seen 338. projectiles + full ammo stocked up in my LGS, but I'm not entirely sure if I could even put in a permit to acquire on that one. I did try ringing up Firearms Services, but the kind lady on the other end didn't even sound like she knew what a bullet was :crazy:
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Chronos » 29 Aug 2015, 10:31 am

Heckler303 wrote:Hey, do any tasmanians here know whats the biggest calibre allowed in the state? I've seen 338. projectiles + full ammo stocked up in my LGS, but I'm not entirely sure if I could even put in a permit to acquire on that one. I did try ringing up Firearms Services, but the kind lady on the other end didn't even sound like she knew what a bullet was :crazy:

I know one bloke down in tassie with a .50 Alaskan, don't know if there's a "caliber" limit as such, your licencing service should be your guide, if you can't get a straight answer i don't know what the next step would be

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 29 Aug 2015, 9:25 pm

Well after talking again to firearms services I found out the following:

There is practically no limit on caliber here in tasmania. Just as long as it doesn't go past 50BMG in terms of 'power' you're all good.

Actually, there's a range I could go to that offers 375, 416, 460, 577 and 600 NE, all the way up to (if you're bloody well rich enough) trying your hand at the 700 nitro express. Maybe I should borrow the 700 for rabbit plinking :D
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by ebr love » 01 Sep 2015, 9:16 am

Title_II wrote:How about a 37mm gun? Rifled, cartridge rounds (not high explosive).

Non explosive? Why ruin the fun? :mrgreen:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 01 Sep 2015, 11:15 am

ebr love wrote:

Non explosive? Why ruin the fun? :mrgreen:

Trying to keep it simple :)

I really can't have explosive rounds larger than 20mm here in Pennsylvania unless I start a gun business. In other states you need to register each round that contains more than 7 grams of explosives (unless you decide to get a license) so most average joes stay away from them.

Explosives that are not weapons are fine as long as you use them within 24 hours, such that there is no need to store them. If you want to store them there are requirements and if you want to transport them there are even more requirements.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Noisydad » 01 Sep 2015, 12:57 pm

Most black powder clubs (including mine) do a live firing target comp for cannon.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 01 Sep 2015, 1:23 pm

I haven't seen a large BP cannon fire in a long time. I started looking into them a few years ago but the big ones are several thousand dollars in America :(. And then they want a few thousand for the carriage.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 02 Sep 2015, 8:49 am

bentaz wrote:We looked into a bit, my dad is a big BP buff, we think it would be heaps cheaper to get one made.
Buy the lump of steel, get someone to turn it and drill it for you and build your own carriage.
Might not be as pretty as an old one but who could tell with that much smoke in the air.
Main thing that stopped the old man going further into it was the cost to shoot it, he was looking at between 30 N 50 bucks a shot

So shoot it once per range trip :)

Other people will want to shoot it, tell them they have to buy a load since $50 doesn't grow on trees. Honestly, I ask most of my friends to bring ammo when they shoot my MGs. Not that I wouldn't let them shoot my ammo, I would. It just adds up with 4 or 5 people running them all day.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Rocker » 09 Sep 2015, 11:28 am

No one is going to take the opportunity with this title for a "that's what she said" joke? :lol:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 09 Sep 2015, 1:04 pm

Rocker wrote:No one is going to take the opportunity with this title for a "that's what she said" joke? :lol:

When I read it I actually thought he was a chubby chaser :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles