Queensland Calibres and categories of weapons.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Queensland Calibres and categories of weapons.

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Aug 2015, 9:05 am

What benefit does this restricting firearms use to a property you have permission for do to prevent crime, after all isn't that the whole reason for all this crap in the first place is to save people from the crazy gun owners of Aus!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by David Brown » 28 Aug 2015, 1:11 pm

Here is my friends reply

In a nutshell this is their policy, a prime example of how they won't stick by the legislation and instead go above and beyond to make policy that suits their personal feelings on what you should and shouldn't be allowed. You can still get those calibre but they restrict you to actual properties (as if you were a primary producer with category d firearms!). If you apply for these calibre, they must approve it if you have a large property to shoot on or you're shooting at the Tin Can Bay SSAA that permits those calibres. They will drag their heels with permitting it and you need to be very clear after they have had it for a few weeks - either grant the PTA or send your rejection letter so I can take the matter to QCAT. You will then see it being granted in most cases...
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Harper » 31 Aug 2015, 2:30 pm

bigfellascott wrote:What benefit does this restricting firearms use to a property you have permission for do to prevent crime, after all isn't that the whole reason for all this crap in the first place is to save people from the crazy gun owners of Aus!

Maybe if your reason is cattle rustling you haven specify the properties you're going to steal from and are limited to those :lol:
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by bigtone » 31 Aug 2015, 4:30 pm

It's interesting that you say that Tin Can Bay range can handle those calibres. QWL said that there are NO ranges in queensland that can handle that calibre. Part of the condition that they are hoping to apply to my license is that i cannot fire the rifle at any range in queensland without the express prior written approval of the Authorized Officer. Also noteworthy is that the same AO has verbally advised the Amamoor range that the 375/408 cheytac and the 416 barrett are NOT to be discharged at that range. Note that it was NOT in writing. Also noteworthy is that there are a list of license conditions in schedule 1A of the weapons regulation and surprisingly there is no such thing as a "999" code. I always thought that cops were supposed to uphold and enforce the law, NOT make up laws!
It's not banned in Queensland but you just can't have one!
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 01 Sep 2015, 10:49 am

Probably explains a lot….

I'm mobile right now so I can't quite the exact section but an authorised officer has the authority to impose whatever restrictions they wish under a condition code, hence the reason Tom Cavanagh up there refers to himself as "God".

Everyone with the high calibre gets a restriction placed on them like a cat d which limits them to properties only. I wouldn't accept that no range business and I'd be asking for tin can bay SSAA which is approved for those calibres.

Wlb just use that power of the condition code to restrict and ultimately confiscate firearms as they see fit... And no one seems to want to do anything about that!
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kipper » 01 Sep 2015, 11:31 am

bigtone wrote:QWL said that there are NO ranges in queensland that can handle that calibre.

QWL said officially said? or some guy at the registry who wouldn't know a muzzle from a butt said?
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigtone » 01 Sep 2015, 9:05 pm

Kipper wrote:
bigtone wrote:QWL said that there are NO ranges in queensland that can handle that calibre.

QWL said officially said? or some guy at the registry who wouldn't know a muzzle from a butt said?

Yep AO Authoriton actually put that on paper. Strange that he needed the "999" code to say that as well.
Checked with the range owner today at Amamoor and she said that she would not allow the 416 to be fired there. I know from a previous conversation with her that the AO Authoriton has previously advised her (verbally and not on paper) that the 416barret is not to be fired there. I checked the range restrictions and it turns out that the Amamoor range and the Madden range seem to have the same restrictions being 9000ft-lbs of muzzle energy or 4100feet/sec muzzle velocity. If you load a 416 barrett with a 400grain round nose projectile and use a starting load to push the projectile at around 2450-2500 ft/sec then the muzzle energy is only 5500ft-lbs. How is that banned from being discharged then?

He does know the difference. He's perfected being a butt!
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 01 Sep 2015, 11:28 pm

If you load a 416 barrett with a 400grain round nose projectile and use a starting load to push the projectile at around 2450-2500 ft/sec then the muzzle energy is only 5500ft-lbs. How is that banned from being discharged then?

Problem with the Barrett in Aus is the lack of projectile choices, there's the hand painted black 400Gr brass VLD from Ultratech in W.A or the you beaut Krusty brand custom made for me by Woodleigh 395Gr VLD. Any other non Barrett specific .416 projectile is not suitable for the Barrett and importing from the U.S is prohibitive based on cost. To get the best from these projectiles they need to be loaded to 3150fps to stabilise them properly, any slower then 3000fps and you're starting to waste money. I really don't understand the problems government fellas have with these calibers, yes they are powerful but they are very expensive to own and just as expensive to feed. No to mention a light version of the .416 is 12kg so not something the average crime would use to rob the local Qik-E-Mart.
Admittedly I have been tempted to try some other .416 projectiles as used in the Rigby but haven't had the time or seen any to try so what I've typed above may all be B.S but it's an educated theory :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigtone » 02 Sep 2015, 8:34 pm

It's banned by the fact that the "999" code says that it can't be fired there without the written express permission of Authoriton.
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Tonit » 09 Sep 2015, 10:56 am

All too complicated, and for the sake of what? :roll:

Take me back 20 years when were were trusted to not be criminals :cry:
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by New_shooter » 04 Jul 2016, 12:31 pm

You can get these high powered calibres in qld if you give weapons licencing supporting documents to prove you need such a high calibre rifle you need a letter of reference from the property owner stating why they need such weapons on their land and it also needs to state all other calibres that he allows on the land on top of that you need to do a stat dec on the experience you have had with these weapons and proof that you can provide accuracy on long range shots the only reason i know this is because i called weapons licencing this morning to ask the same thing
New_shooter
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles