New rifle advice - Ruger Scout and Mossberg MVP

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: New rifle advice - Ruger Scout and Mossberg MVP

Post by sandgroperbill » 10 Oct 2015, 1:30 am

That's what Rugers are designed for. Simple, solid and reliable. I have a couple and love em. They're not bench rest rifles, they're hunting rifles designed as such.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Oct 2015, 9:36 am

http://www.centrewayfirearms.com.au
Try here, prices are usually ok and not far from where u are looking.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigtone » 11 Oct 2015, 8:22 pm

I bought a mossberg mvp 223 with a 24 inch barrel last week and took it out culling. Put 1770 rounds through it in 4 days. after about 1000 rounds the harshness of the bolt's action starts to polish up a bit and gets a bit smoother. I have 2 polymags for it which feed nicely. The factory steel mags are a bit harsh feeding even though they appear to be of acceptable quality. The staggered round mags (AR style) are easy to load and can be used with a mag charger if needed. The rifle shoots like a laser with my 3-12 x 50 Zeiss Duralyt on top. Has a threaded barrel for no reason in Oz because silencers are not permitted. The butt pad is totally horrible and will be changed tomorrow for something more rounded, problem solved. My only real gripe is with the bolt which really can be overcome with the technique of closing the bolt with your thumb at the base of the bolt handle before latching the bolt normally. Its a great thrasher otherwise. 8/10.
It's not banned in Queensland but you just can't have one!
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Browning » 11 Oct 2015, 11:10 pm

Wow!! That's a lot of rounds in 4 days!
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supporter » 13 Oct 2015, 8:42 am

sandgroperbill wrote:That's what Rugers are designed for. Simple, solid and reliable. I have a couple and love em. They're not bench rest rifles, they're hunting rifles designed as such.

:thumbsup: Yep they're a workhorse.

NFI about the people who bought a Gunsight Scout for the cool factor then only shoot it off the bench :unknown:
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles