How Do You Apply Solvent To Your Bore?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

How Do You Apply Solvent To Your Bore?

Post by Baldrick314 » 04 Sep 2015, 6:01 pm

I've always applied solvent directly to the brush and scrubbed the bore then patched out with dry patches. The other day I read a few different articles and something I noticed was the common theme is they all use a patch to apply solvent. So today I tried that method.

Usually I have to apply solvent 2-3 times patching out with 3-5 patches per time and the patches come through clean. Using the patches to apply solvent I had to reapply about 5 times and the patches were still coming out with black streaks so I finally gave up and went back to my old method and it only took one application and two dry patches before it was completely clean.

That could just be coincidence that it cleaned up so quickly. When I shot the rifle I didn't put any more rounds than normal so I can't account for the extra work to clean it apart from the different method.

So how do you guys do it? And is there any potential downside to applying the solvent directly to the brush?
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: How Do You Apply Solvent To Your Bore?

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 04 Sep 2015, 6:16 pm

milsurp or commercial?
a loose patch will hold more solvent than a brush....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by AusTac » 04 Sep 2015, 6:56 pm

I get solvent in the tube via a patch also, i just find it easier apart from any other reason
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Baldrick314 » 04 Sep 2015, 7:25 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:milsurp or commercial?

Commercial. Fair enough. It seems to me like I'm getting more solvent in there on the brush. Perhaps my patches are tight or something but doesn't feel tight. I'm using sweets so it's quite thick and clings to the brush instead of running off
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 04 Sep 2015, 7:26 pm

I used to patch through but now I put the rod through then attach the nylon brush then pour some solvent over the brush pull back through the barrel then repeat, this makes sure the solvent is right through the bore then scrub let sit for a few minutes wile I clean over the outside then patch out the barrel until clean
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 04 Sep 2015, 7:53 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:milsurp or commercial?

Commercial. Fair enough. It seems to me like I'm getting more solvent in there on the brush. Perhaps my patches are tight or something but doesn't feel tight. I'm using sweets so it's quite thick and clings to the brush instead of running off

Maybe the brush-solvent method is showing clean patches quicker because its dissolving less crud/copper???
Each to their own method I say, but commercial ammo, a little solvent on the brush to moisten, a plentiful amount on the patch for wet patching, at the end dry patching....not too tight as I like to leave some residue (solvents evaporate to leave oils) for protection.....

Milsurp whole different kettle of fishies, I first fill up the bore with ammonia....... :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by juststarting » 04 Sep 2015, 8:14 pm

What about bore mop? That would give you full surface area... Don't know. I bought some but haven't had a chance to use them. Couple of wet patches does the job pretty well. But once everything is clean, I run a slightly (very very slightly) oiled patch and that comes out dirty again. So I don't know either.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Sep 2015, 8:55 pm

I do both patch or brush when doing solvents. I usually put a few solvent soaked patches through first then put the brush through with solvent too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 05 Sep 2015, 12:21 am

I use wet patches, run a few through with a loop jag, up then back, turning the rod as i go. Then i let it sit for a few minutes, then dry patch.

Occasionally i'll use a mop if its real dirty.

I try to avoid brushes. Occassionally i'll need a brass brush, and yes, i know the argument that brass is softer than steel, so does no harm, but i just don't like metal on metal. And I'm not a fan of nylon brushes, either. So for me its patches and occassioanally mops.

But the patches do a good enough job with a little patience
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Sep 2015, 7:32 am

Guess I do it a bit different to everyone else.. I use a syringe with hosing and insert it into a bore guide and squirt around 2ml or so directly into the barrel. . Then use a nylon brush and pass it through around 5-7 times then patch through until dry. Once in a while I'll use a bronze brush aswell
Member-Deleted

Post by tom604 » 05 Sep 2015, 9:29 am

brush with solvent, a few times up and down to foam it up a bit,wait a while,wet patch, dry patch, repeat ,maybe another brush if the patches keep coming out dirty and an oily patch at the end :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bluerob » 05 Sep 2015, 9:51 am

If I am using copper jacketed ammo, soak a patch with Sweets 7.62, then brush, then patch. I always use a bore guide.

If I am shooting lead, Hoppes No 9 soaked patch, brush, then Kleenbore's lead remover (this stuff is insane on cleaning lead). Patch until the patch isnt dirty.

I'm not a fan of the Snake bore cleaners. Just not convinced they are doing what the above processes are doing, even using the Venom spray cleaner that you soak the snake with.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 05 Sep 2015, 10:57 pm

So all this solvent talk motivated me enough to update my blog on this topic (http://myshootingjourney.com/2015/09/05 ... -cleaning/). Something everyone kind of takes for granted, but seriously this is an overwhelming (at least for me) topic. Especially when you have never cleaned a rifle, in the back of you mind there is a nagging 'you could damage your barrel' voice and you really don't want to f*#ck your first rifle up before you even get a chance to shoot it.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Sep 2015, 11:53 pm

juststarting wrote:So all this solvent talk motivated me enough to update my blog on this topic (http://myshootingjourney.com/2015/09/05 ... -cleaning/). Something everyone kind of takes for granted, but seriously this is an overwhelming (at least for me) topic. Especially when you have never cleaned a rifle, in the back of you mind there is a nagging 'you could damage your barrel' voice and you really don't want to f*#ck your first rifle up before you even get a chance to shoot it.

Trust me I can definitely relate.. I started shooting from scratch aswell and the one thing I've learned is everyone does it there own way and despite people saying "omg ur gonna wreck ur gun" I think in reality it would take a fair bit to damage it...how bad is a brush or whatever passing through compares the ammo blasting through it true!
Member-Deleted

Post by Title_II » 05 Sep 2015, 11:58 pm

Same way I load my mags. I hand it all over to my mate's daughters for a couple hours while we watch football :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by anthillinside » 05 Sep 2015, 11:58 pm

Patches, Nylon Brush or Mop it depends on how dirty it is any my feel for how clean it's getting.
In some cases a gallon of hot soapy water does the trick. ;)
The barrel is steel after all, As long as you take a bit of care you an't gonna stuff it.
Just follow this simple procedure ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skus7HWi_8
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Sep 2015, 10:54 am

Baldrick314 wrote:I've always applied solvent directly to the brush and scrubbed the bore then patched out with dry patches. The other day I read a few different articles and something I noticed was the common theme is they all use a patch to apply solvent. So today I tried that method.

Usually I have to apply solvent 2-3 times patching out with 3-5 patches per time and the patches come through clean. Using the patches to apply solvent I had to reapply about 5 times and the patches were still coming out with black streaks so I finally gave up and went back to my old method and it only took one application and two dry patches before it was completely clean.

That could just be coincidence that it cleaned up so quickly. When I shot the rifle I didn't put any more rounds than normal so I can't account for the extra work to clean it apart from the different method.

So how do you guys do it? And is there any potential downside to applying the solvent directly to the brush?

Good article here,
http://ssaa.org.au/stories/hints-tips-h ... euPXSg_7MI
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Sep 2015, 12:52 pm

At last year's shot show in Perth, my brother and I (also worth mentioning we got in cheaper by purchasing a family pass... the girl at the gate asked why we bought a family pass, we just answered we're brothers, so still family and it was cheaper. Fair enough, in ya go) went to watch one of the presentations. They played a video of the "correct" way to clean a new rifle.
You could see the whole audience cringing with the harsh scraping noise, almost like an anchor being dragged down the barrel, and the sight of this guy forcing the rod down the barrel at an angle...
Having seen this, I wouldn't trust many people to clean my barrels...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by pomemax » 06 Sep 2015, 1:42 pm

Someone has to say it Cleaning is over rated.
.A lot of people clean differently to you because your doing it wrong or they are doing it wrong they are going to damage the bore or you are .
Some do clean ever time they use the firearm be it pistol or rifle some have a count system get to a number and clean .some clean when they get a bad hit on beast or target .
I have watched a guy at a range Strip a pistol and clean in jars and tupperware container of solvent yer dipping it into it then WIRE BRUSH not bronze or nylon after every 10 shots then lube then fire 10 clean was really weird to watch was taking about 15 min to clean each time when i asked why ITS SHOOTS BETTER ( it was a .22 Browning FN Model:Challenger i think) he asked when do you clean you pistol,s I walk away saying do you have to clean them and shot another 200 rounds down range with him looking on.
Didn't have the hart to tell him i throw them in sonic cleaner at home wish i had a sonic cleaner for rifle barrels lol .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 07 Sep 2015, 9:17 am

I apply direct to the brush too.

Dip the nylon brush in the solvent and run it though. Always is enough I found, no problems holding enough liquid compared to a patch.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 07 Sep 2015, 9:34 am

*puts on best Clint Eastwood impression*

"There are two kinds of people in the world. Grown-ups with loaded guns, and kids who load mags and clean bores.

You load mags and clean bores."

:D

And mow the damn lawn.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 07 Sep 2015, 11:08 am

That's why you merikans can't shoot straight :sarcasm:

On a serious note, though, the most important part of cleaning for me is the application of oil, but I'm not going to apply oil to a dirty barrel, so I clean it first.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 07 Sep 2015, 11:26 am

Nice mate! :D

Not sure if there was confusion, but just to be clear, I was not calling Aussies kids.

Kids need to see their moms and dads cleaning and inspecting their own guns. Leading by example. But when we set up a shoot similar in scale to the invasion of the Falkland Islands, kids keep the guns running. They load mags, they break down weapons, and they maintain them. Chores are the price of admission and fun. There are few greater examples of work = reward. And there is a lot of experience and training learned. Like The Karate Kid movie from the 80s - Wax On, Wacks Off ;)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 07 Sep 2015, 11:44 am

lol it's cool :)

Just poking a bit of harmless fun.

To be honest, I've been impressed with this thread. I've seen elsewhere on the internets big arguments break out over cleaning regime and break in regimes because everyone does it differently, and only their way is right. None of that here, it's been quite grown up and respectful.

For what it's worth, I don't like to over clean. As I said earlier, I can normally get the job done just using patches, and I try to avoid brushes, but that's just me and I totally understand and respect other people using other methods, including brushes (though that wire brush comment made me cringe).

I clean after every trip, but that's more because I need to oil them as they only get out every few weeks or so. Having said that, as they're hunting rifles and only get a few rounds put through them during any given outing, they're normally not too bad. Load development and testing was a different matter, but the patches and a mop worked fine for me.

Now, If I was target shooting and putting hundreds of rounds through at a time, that would be a little different.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Shorti85 » 07 Sep 2015, 3:33 pm

Dip the brush in Hoppes, feed through and partially back, pour solvent down barrel and then brush 7-10 times, let it sit for a bit and patch it out. Repeat process with Sweets. Then at the end I spray Carby cleaner down the bore and action then patch that out
if you don't get stuck, your not trying hard enough
Shorti85
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 07 Sep 2015, 4:02 pm

Shorti85 wrote:Dip the brush in Hoppes, feed through and partially back, pour solvent down barrel and then brush 7-10 times, let it sit for a bit and patch it out. Repeat process with Sweets. Then at the end I spray Carby cleaner down the bore and action then patch that out

That sounds like a very messy process indeed. Glad it's not my firearm.

Gave up using Hoppes and Sweets a long time ago for both normal and target rifles.

Get some Bore Tech Eliminator, especially try some after using Sweets and you will see just how much Sweets doesn't clean in the way of copper.

Use a quality Bore Guide, like a Possum Hollow with a Solvent Port and keep all solvents away from your action internals. Cover the stock in case of drips.

Eliminator, a half dozen drops on a not so tight patch. Push through only, repeat a few times. Insert a Nylon Brush into the Bore Guide partly and apply a dozen or so drops of Eliminator and cycle through the bore 10-20 or so times, push all the way through and back out without changing direction mid stream. Push out and remove brush. Wash brush in warm soapy water and dry, or in Shellite.

Be careful with the Muzzle Crown, don't go agressive pulling back.

Let the Eliminator sit in the bore from a few minutes to a half hour or more, your call. It's not dangerous like Sweets.

Push through a couple of fairly tight dry patches until they look clean, if not repeat the process and let sit longer.

After a final dry patch push through a patch damp with Shellite, let dry or another dry patch. This will neutralise the Eliminator if any is left. Run a patch with a few drops of quality gun oil through and you are ready for next session of shooting.

No solvent or fluid should be seen around the action, at worst a few drops might be around the muzzle end. Better to keep the muzzle end pointed slightly downhill. When finished wipe everything over with a clean slightly oily soft rag. I use Inox and/or Ballistol.

BTW...Ballistol is great on a Chamber Mop for cleaning out the fresh carbon from the neck area of the chamber. Also a small amount on a soft rag for wiping the soot / carbon off your case necks. If used as soon as possible after firing it will just about clean every trace off the case neck and keeps the crud out of reloading dies.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 07 Sep 2015, 5:03 pm

I never pull a bronze brush back through the muzzle. It's always a one way thing for me. I do it sometimes with a Nylon brush but never on the first run through. The first one is to get rid of the surplus crud and I don't like the idea of pulling that back through the bore. Second pass is either with a patch or a brush then let the solvent do it's work. I use Butch's Bore Shine and stay away from Sweets, it's too easy to leave it too long and the stuff is corrosive. I've tried patches, mops and brushes but if the solvent is doing its job you shouldn't need a bronze brush. Having said that I can't see it doing any damage. The muzzle crown is the vulnerable bit, and going one way only should be sufficient.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Shorti85 » 07 Sep 2015, 5:08 pm

Apollo wrote:
Shorti85 wrote:Dip the brush in Hoppes, feed through and partially back, pour solvent down barrel and then brush 7-10 times, let it sit for a bit and patch it out. Repeat process with Sweets. Then at the end I spray Carby cleaner down the bore and action then patch that out

That sounds like a very messy process indeed. Glad it's not my firearm.

Gave up using Hoppes and Sweets a long time ago for both normal and target rifles

I'm new to owning firearms and cleaning my guns as per instructions from my LGS. Hope I'm not doing anything wrong or doing something to cause damage to my firearms
Shorti85
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 07 Sep 2015, 5:59 pm

There are so many opinions on cleaning that no matter what you do someone will think its wrong.

My advice is don't be too rough. The barrel is tough, but the vulnerable part is the rifling, especially at the crown. You want the rifling to stay defined, and not interrupt it at the crown, as this will have an impact on your accuracy (damage the rifling where the bullet exits and you can destabilise the bullets on exit).

Whatever your cleaning regime, make sure all solvent is gone afterwards and the surfaces have a light coat of oil. Other than this, how best to clean is a matter of opinion, there is no clear and definite right way.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Shorti85 » 07 Sep 2015, 6:43 pm

I was told when using the wire brush to make sure it is pushed all the way through before pulling it back through
Shorti85
Private
Private

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles