Importing wood stocks, magazines and other parts from the US

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Importing wood stocks, magazines and other parts from the US

Post by Flyer » 08 Sep 2015, 10:32 pm

Is it possible to import wooden/synthetic rifle stocks into Australia without any drama? Are they classified as "firearms" (parts?) or simply treated the same as any other piece of wood or merchandise?

What about trigger kits and spare magazines? I know they sell all these things on eBay, which doesn't allow firearms listings. So are certain parts OK to buy without needing a firearms certificate?

Thanks.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Re: Importing wood stocks, magazines and other parts from th

Post by happyhunter » 09 Sep 2015, 9:56 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 13 Feb 2017, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Flyer » 09 Sep 2015, 8:44 pm

Thanks. What about magazines and other parts?
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by brett1868 » 10 Sep 2015, 12:40 am

Mags are classed as firearms parts so if customs picks them up you'll need to do some paperwork and pay some money. I heading to the U.S in October and thinking to buy some STI & Glock mags for my pistols so I'll be double checking the rules. Believe it or not but a Barrett Monopod as used on the M99 was classed as dangerous goods and subject to ITAR clearances which is why I didn't buy one directly and instead paid NIOA $190 for a piece of metal with a plastic knob on it. Some rules are retarded on both ends...
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harper » 10 Sep 2015, 1:38 pm

B709A is the forum you need for importing firearm stuff.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Flyer » 10 Sep 2015, 9:37 pm

Thanks for that. I'm looking at getting a CZ lux or full stock for my 455 American. I've only been able to find them online in the US.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by heeple » 11 Sep 2015, 11:11 am

Full length stock :thumbsup:
Remingtion 700 XCR in 7mm-08
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 11 Sep 2015, 6:52 pm

I know! I just bought a 527FS in .223 and am waiting for it to arrive. I also bought a three-barrel 455 Special and am looking to replace the stock as I figured it was more economical to buy three matching barrels with the receiver and replace the stock than buy a Lux or FS and add new barrels to it.

Looks like most places in the US that sell stocks won't export them. Anyone know where to buy CZ455 stocks in Oz?
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by brett1868 » 11 Sep 2015, 10:51 pm

https://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2012C00563/Html/Text#_Toc333391133

Section 4F is relevant to your question, essentially anything meeting the descriptions will need a B709 General Application Form + at least 1 Ancillary B709 form covering the items you intend to import.

I'm going to lodge one this week to cover me bringing back some mags, projectiles and brass from the U.S in October. Ill have to check how many .416 Barrett cases add up to 74kg less the weight of the suitcases :) I figure 3 people with 37kg baggage allowance each we should be able to pack all the clothes in one case and fill the others with stuff I want.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 12 Sep 2015, 12:33 am

brett1868 wrote:https://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2012C00563/Html/Text#_Toc333391133

Section 4F is relevant to your question, essentially anything meeting the descriptions will need a B709 General Application Form + at least 1 Ancillary B709 form covering the items you intend to import.

I'm going to lodge one this week to cover me bringing back some mags, projectiles and brass from the U.S in October. Ill have to check how many .416 Barrett cases add up to 74kg less the weight of the suitcases :) I figure 3 people with 37kg baggage allowance each we should be able to pack all the clothes in one case and fill the others with stuff I want.

Where are you going? If it's within a state of me I can show you a good time (no homo) :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 12 Sep 2015, 2:46 am

Title_II wrote:
brett1868 wrote:https://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2012C00563/Html/Text#_Toc333391133

Where are you going? If it's within a state of me I can show you a good time (no homo) :)

Santa Barbara California to visit my wife's sister and her husband. My son turns 10 on the 17/10 and he flies out on the 18th with the missus returning 23/11, ill join them for a week in the middle sometime. My job will be to hire a car and hit all the attractions during the week I'm there, Disneyland, SeaWorld, universal Studios, Lego land and fit a few gun shop visits in between playing taxi driver. The brother in law was a cop for 20+ years and last trip I got to hang out with him, drive a cop car, visit various jails, meet the Sherriff, chain up the missus with prison irons (pity she found the key). The brother in law is a cool guy and I'm probably closer to him than my actual blood brother. Looking forward to the trip and wish I could stay longer but being a contractor, if I don't work I don't get paid and at the moment I need every cent I can get my grubby little paws on :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 12 Sep 2015, 2:59 am

OK, not only is that pretty far from me, it's also basically East Australia as far as guns are concerned. Not sure if you have been to the States before but Cali is not one of them, so don't judge us based on them! And considering the very strange laws they have about guns and even ammo, not sure you can get the deals or the items you could get in the States.

That being said, California is a nice place for being a communist territory. If you avoid gang areas, etc., you should have a really nice time. Shower before you get on the plane, Cali has severe water restrictions these days :)

Happy hunting :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 12 Sep 2015, 3:26 am

Title_II wrote:OK, not only is that pretty far from me, it's also basically East Australia as far as guns are concerned. Not sure if you have been to the States before but Cali is not one of them, so don't judge us based on them! And considering the very strange laws they have about guns and even ammo, not sure you can get the deals or the items you could get in the States.

That being said, California is a nice place for being a communist territory. If you avoid gang areas, etc., you should have a really nice time. Shower before you get on the plane, Cali has severe water restrictions these days :)

Happy hunting :)

Spent a year in Laverne Heights L.A as an exchange student long ago and 6 weeks in San Louis Obispo 2003, enjoyed both trips very much. The people there are great, so friendly, helpful and very polite. Brother in law carries a H&K 45 on a concealed carry permit and he's always packing anytime he leaves the house. Shooting was a bit like bowling down here, you rock up, choose the pistol/s you wanted to shoot, bought a bucket of shells and hit the range. Very casual, enjoyable and safe, if possible I'll take the boy with me when I'm there.
My mate Brian is over in Indiana and he's the definition of redneck gun lover, his missus chooses her purse based on what gun she's packing when she goes out.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 12 Sep 2015, 4:39 am

Well according to the laws, unless it's a (d) folding stock; (e) detachable stock; (f) telescopic stock; or (g) collapsible stock, it's perfectly legal to import. That includes wood or synthetic stock.

On a semi-related note, California is a beautiful state. It has everything: beaches, forests, mountains, lakes, deserts and everything in-between. LA is not my favourite place (bit fake), but I really like San Diego, and San Francisco and surrounds aren't bad, either.

If you think eastern Australia is tough on firearms, don't even think of heading west! :lol:
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by trekin » 12 Sep 2015, 5:32 am

Flyer wrote:I know! I just bought a 527FS in .223 and am waiting for it to arrive. I also bought a three-barrel 455 Special and am looking to replace the stock as I figured it was more economical to buy three matching barrels with the receiver and replace the stock than buy a Lux or FS and add new barrels to it.

Looks like most places in the US that sell stocks won't export them. Anyone know where to buy CZ455 stocks in Oz?

What style of stock are you after?
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 12 Sep 2015, 10:36 am

From memory ( 18 months and 2 years )

Wooden gun stocks are classed as 'Manufactured wood products' and you don't need a permit to import, but ....

.... an inspection by the Agriculture / Quarantine folk is required. ( but avoidable. :D )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 12 Sep 2015, 1:00 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:From memory ( 18 months and 2 years )

Wooden gun stocks are classed as 'Manufactured wood products' and you don't need a permit to import, but ....

.... an inspection by the Agriculture / Quarantine folk is required. ( but avoidable. :D )

We don't have cooties :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Flyer » 12 Sep 2015, 8:40 pm

trekin wrote:What style of stock are you after?

CZ455 Lux. Or maybe a CZ455 Full Stock. I have a 452 Standard with the Euro style drop stock, which fits nicely, but the CZ455 three-barrel Special (.22lr, .17hmr. .22wmr) I just bought only comes with the American style stock.

I don't usually like high stocks, and won't know if I like the American or not until it arrives, but I bought it half-expecting to change the high stock at some point for a Lux or Brno style drop stock.

I would have bought a three-barrel Lux set if CZ sold them; it's more economical to buy the American set with matching barrels and change the stock than it is to buy a Lux and add barrels to it (which then have to be matched).
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Usurper » 16 Sep 2015, 9:05 am

Title_II wrote:We don't have cooties :)

That's what they all say :P
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Biggus » 21 Aug 2016, 3:49 am

happyhunter wrote:Bought several from Boyds without any drama. It's just a piece of wood.

Hi, how did you get past the $100 USD export restriction Boyds place on orders to OZ? I've tried to order from them and they won't allow it.......????
Biggus
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by chacka » 25 Aug 2016, 10:35 am

I've read that is a recent change.

Never ordered one myself, but in the past I believe Boyds would tweak the invoicing so instead of charging you $129 for the stock and $100 shipping they'd charge you $99 for the stock and $130 for shipping, so that it came in under the $100 limit.

I guess maybe the powers that be there were clamping down a bit and they've stopped doing it.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bluerob » 26 Aug 2016, 11:38 am

Is it possible for a new POTUS to repeal ITAR Laws or is it a massive congressional issue that'd take months of arguing or can an Executive Order be made?
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 09 Sep 2016, 6:21 pm

I contacted Boyd's a couple of months ago about purchasing a stock that was listed for US$108. I asked them if they could discount the stock $8.01 so I could buy it and import it to Australia. It is important to note that I didn't ask them to fudge the paperwork - just give me an $8 discount so I could buy the stock. I didn't think that was unreasonable, considering I had no other option. Here are the series of replies I got:

Sent: Tuesday, 12 July 2016 10:22 PM
Subject: RE: Stock to Australia

Hello,

We have a federal export limit that we can not get around in any way.

The export limit is $100 before shipping, per order.

You will have to choose a stock priced at $99 or less in order to get a stock directly from us. You can find all of our sale stocks at this link. https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/rapid-fire-closeouts

You could also purchase an uninletted stock for $99 if you wanted to do ALL of the inletting for the action and barrel on your own. You can find them at this link. https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/SearchBy ... rd=Uninlet

The only other option would be to use one of our International dealers. You can find the contact page for all of our dealers at this link. https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/find-a-dealer

We do apologize for this inconvenience.

Thank you for your business

Lynnette

Boyds Hardwood Gunstocks
25376 403rd Ave
Mitchell SD, 57301
(605)996-5011
http://www.Boydsgunstocks.com

Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 8:09 PM
To: Customer Service
Subject: Re: Stock to Australia

Hi, thanks for the response. I'm aware of the export restrictions which is why I asked if it were possible to discount the $108 stock highlighted in my original email to $99 so that I could purchase it. There is little else available on your site that is anywhere near the $100 cut-off limit.

So my question is, is it possible to discount this stock from $108 to $99.99?

Sent: Wednesday, 13 July 2016 11:12 PM
Subject: RE: Stock to Australia

Hello,

We can not alter our invoices to get around a federal export limit.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you for your business

Ashley

Boyds Hardwood Gunstocks
25376 403rd Ave
Mitchell SD, 57301
(605)996-5011
http://www.Boydsgunstocks.com

Sent: Thursday, 14 July 2016 5:21 AM
To: Customer Service
Subject: Re: Stock to Australia

For the record, I was not asking for you to alter your invoice. I was asking if it was possible to discount the highlighted stock by $8 so that it would qualify for export. If this is not possible, I understand. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

ETC

I did end up buying a stock from CZ and shipping it to a friend in the US. She posted it to me no problems.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Return to Centerfire rifles