Fixing of woodwork

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Fixing of woodwork

Post by EmmaFitzy » 12 Sep 2015, 12:36 am

Hey guys,
So I've just bought a second hand akkar Churchill trap gun and as it came from NSW only saw it from pictures, now that it's arrived I've noticed that it looks like there are chips on the stock, like it been dropped on a rock of some sort, what is the best way to fix this or just best to take it to a gunsmith? I know it sounds picky, but being the first gun I've bought for myself particually for trap I want to have it great nick.
Cheers- Em
Attachments
image.jpg
Not a great photo of it but it is a bit worse than this
image.jpg (402.61 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
EmmaFitzy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Fixing of woodwork

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Sep 2015, 6:39 pm

Google and watch some of the many vids on how to get dents out of gun stocks.

Steam applied in a myriad of ways.

Not really successful tho, if the indents are sharp, deep, and broken/cut the surface.
:)
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by EmmaFitzy » 12 Sep 2015, 10:37 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Google and watch some of the many vids on how to get dents out of gun stocks.

Steam applied in a myriad of ways.

Not really successful tho, if the indents are sharp, deep, and broken/cut the surface.
:)

Thanks, they have cut the surface and a bit deep, but will look into it!
Cheers!
EmmaFitzy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 13 Sep 2015, 8:05 am

You can also make a perfect filler by sanding a flat surface of the timber and mixing the dust into a paste with linseed oil or some suitable gun stock finish. The paste will dry the same colour as the stock.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Yelp » 16 Sep 2015, 10:31 am

Sanding, filling and re-staining the whole stock would be the way to get it as-new if you really want to go that far.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 16 Sep 2015, 4:19 pm

Are they the only marks on the stock?

I wouldn't worry about it,if I was then some type of epoxy wood filler applied very carefully could mask it yet you would never blend the filler in 100% to the wood so it will still be seen.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Sep 2015, 5:32 pm

You should be able to rework just the triangular area that's affected. The sharp edges of the stock where it steps down from the flat triangular area to the curves will hide minor surface differences well.

I'd sand the lacquer off from that area working my way down to a very fine paper and then a final sand with fine steel wool, apply same matching coloured wood filler ( they come in a vast array of colours ) and repeat the sanding and polishing with fine sand paper then steel wool being careful not to sand out the filler.

Determine if the lacquer had a stain mixed with it and match that.
Mask off the rest of the stock and re lacquer that area polishing it with fine steel wool between coats untill your final coat where you will apply it just right so your brush marks don't show.
The beauty of this type of work is that if it looks bad once you've finished you can get the sand paper out and start again.

Just make sure you give it plenty of time between coats .. I give it 24 hours between coats and 3 to 4 coats will normally be enough to give a glass smooth finish.

Or you could just leave it and call it christened.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sender » 17 Sep 2015, 10:07 am

EmmaFitzy wrote:now that it's arrived I've noticed that it looks like there are chips on the stock

Very annoying :x
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by BBJ » 23 Sep 2015, 9:51 am

Gwion wrote:You can also make a perfect filler by sanding a flat surface of the timber and mixing the dust into a paste with linseed oil or some suitable gun stock finish. The paste will dry the same colour as the stock.

Being bound with just oil does it not crumble out over time?
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Return to Centerfire rifles