FLOOR PLATE MAGAZINE

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

FLOOR PLATE MAGAZINE

Post by ToyotaBoy » 29 Sep 2015, 9:00 pm

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO guy's and gal's
im seriously considering selling my BROWNING HI-GRADE in 30/06. i was at the LGS and handled a Remington 700 cdl with a stainless flutted barrel.WOW what a nice piece of kit it was to throw up to the shoulder. the only part im not sure about is the hinge floor plate magazine. im used to detachable magazines.
can the brains trust here tell me of any advantages or disadvantages of having a hinge floor plate magazine?

cheers guy's and gal's
keep shooing straight
ToyotaBoy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: FLOOR PLATE MAGAZINE

Post by AusTac » 29 Sep 2015, 9:12 pm

Can't loose your mag, and they rarely have feeding issues, but they can be a bit tight to push rounds in depending on your scope mounting setup/combination you'll get used to it though, but if you really do hate it, chances are there are commercial conversion kits to convert it from a floor plate box magazine into detachable magazine you can ger just about anything you'd like for those remys
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 29 Sep 2015, 10:36 pm

I find my remington 700 a breeze to reload.

Even when I let loose with a volley of shots as you do on a mob of goats , despite only holding 4 in the mag I can easily reach into my pocket, pull out a few shells and push them into the mag as I walk along. They feed in fast and easy once you've got the hang of it.

The drop plate setup is not nearly as fast as slapping in another full mag though. And detachable mags can offer greater capacity than the 4 + 1 that you get with the 700 drop plate.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SendIt » 12 Oct 2015, 8:46 am

ToyotaBoy wrote:im used to detachable magazines.
can the brains trust here tell me of any advantages or disadvantages of having a hinge floor plate magazine?

Much the same either way in terms of use.

People save removing a box mag is quicker because you don't have to handle the round but if you're removing it to finish you have to unload the mag anyway so that makes no sense to me.

Absolute advantage of the of going the floor plate option is you can't lose the thing. Replacement mags aren't cheap.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 13 Oct 2015, 7:53 am

I have a Ruger Hawkeye (floorplate) and a Tikka and much prefer the internal box mag over the removable Tikka one.

Easier/faster to load directly through the action instead of having to remove, load and insert.

Dropping rounds out the bottom isn't a hassle at all.

One less thing to lose.

An advantage of mags is obviously the fast reload if you have several loaded mags but that's no practical benefit to most shooters here IMO.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by BBJ » 19 Oct 2015, 2:16 pm

First time you start using using one with a floor-plate you'll muck it up and drop all the cartridges on the ground a few times. Everyone does :lol:

Just don't get frustrated those first few times and you'll be right :lol:
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Oct 2015, 5:47 am

I've got to be honest and say I don't often open the floor plate up on mine, I generally just cycle the action to empty it of ammo, Just depends what type of shooting I'm doing really.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Humir » 22 Oct 2015, 9:19 am

It's only 3 or 4 rounds in an internal box mag so it's not like it's a lot to manage :thumbsup:
Humir
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Vati » 26 Oct 2015, 2:10 pm

AusTac wrote:Can't loose your mag

More than one hunting trip ruined by that :lol:
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 26 Oct 2015, 2:23 pm

Well I have the cdl in long action with a magazine and I'm keen to change to a floor plate jut because I prefer it. Vso if you do buy it I'll do you a swap haha.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bark » 28 Oct 2015, 1:52 pm

SendIt wrote:People save removing a box mag is quicker because you don't have to handle the round but if you're removing it to finish you have to unload the mag anyway so that makes no sense to me.

Agreed.

Mags can be more of a pain at times IMO.
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ToyotaBoy » 01 Nov 2015, 10:28 am

hey guys thanks for the advice. i got rid of my browning X-bolt and now have a Remington CDL stainless fluted in 30/06. personally it feels and looks better than the browning. now just gotta save the pennies for some quality glass for her

1.jpg
1.jpg (48.16 KiB) Viewed 4180 times

2.jpg
2.jpg (58.67 KiB) Viewed 4180 times

3.jpg
3.jpg (45.22 KiB) Viewed 4180 times

4.jpg
4.jpg (43.13 KiB) Viewed 4180 times
ToyotaBoy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Kipper » 02 Nov 2015, 8:30 am

Just curious is the barrel still floating with the camo tape done around the barrel inside the recess like that, instead of just around the whole fore end?

Did you have to open up the recess more or was is clear from the factory job?
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by ToyotaBoy » 02 Nov 2015, 5:44 pm

i undid the barrel from the stock and wrapped the tape around it, there was already enuf room for the tape to be wrapped around the barrel
ToyotaBoy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Old Fart » 13 Nov 2015, 7:21 am

Bark wrote:Mags can be more of a pain at times IMO.

It hasn't happened to me but we've all read a story where someone dropped and lost their magazine on day 1 of a hunting trip :evil:
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles