Which one gun would you have if your life depended on it

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Which one gun would you have if your life depended on it

Post by Heckler303 » 03 Oct 2015, 5:42 pm

Just an interesting thought I had, if suddenly worse came to worse, and we had to only rely on one particular gun we could legally acquire ourselves under current law, what would you choose as your one true piece to go with?

If I had too, I'd get a jungle carbine lee enfield and load 174grn steel core projectiles. Not many critters would need more than one shot with one of those in good hands.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Re: If your life depended on it

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Oct 2015, 8:20 pm

Easy, 22lr or 12g
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Oct 2015, 8:32 pm

Double barrel 12 gauge, so versatile. And it can be used as a muzzle loader if times get tough.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 04 Oct 2015, 2:52 am

Combo gun 12g/308. Will take care of anything...

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 04 Oct 2015, 10:10 am

Ruger Scout. Fast handling, accurate enough at modest ranges, plentiful ammo, 10 round detachable mag for fast reload, not particularly heavy so you can lug it for extended periods
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pajamatime » 04 Oct 2015, 10:34 am

Baldrick314 wrote:Ruger Scout. Fast handling, accurate enough at modest ranges, plentiful ammo, 10 round detachable mag for fast reload, not particularly heavy so you can lug it for extended periods

the Ruger gunsite scout is one rifle I probably would have mentioned and the Mossberg MVP scout (not in Australia yet) a highly versatile rifle. Can use allot of different types of mags so magazines will be cheaper, full length rail to accommodate front and back scope positions, left and right side rails. Only down side is I don't think its in 223 its only in 308 . If you want to get a feel for the MVP scout the closest thing would be the MVP Patrol as they are very similar rifles.

I really like the Ruger scout though so its a hard decision ^_^
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baldrick314 » 04 Oct 2015, 11:34 am

pajamatime wrote:the Ruger gunsite scout is one rifle I probably would have mentioned and the Mossberg MVP scout (not in Australia yet) a highly versatile rifle. Can use allot of different types of mags so magazines will be cheaper, full length rail to accommodate front and back scope positions, left and right side rails. Only down side is I don't think its in 223 its only in 308 . If you want to get a feel for the MVP scout the closest thing would be the MVP Patrol as they are very similar rifles.

I really like the Ruger scout though so its a hard decision ^_^

The MVP has been released here but isn't readily available yet I don't think. And you can get the scout in 223 now too if that's your preference :)
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 04 Oct 2015, 11:49 am

I'm not sure I understand the scenario. Are we talking a run of the mill complete breakdown of regional countries and society? In that case I would have to pick a handgun. I like rifles, and handguns not so much. And rifles are far more effective. But every time since the start of the 20th Century, when stuff has gone bad, nobody was walking around with a longarm unless they were the government about to murder 60 million of their own citizens, police and military instituting martial or interim law, or roving hoards of bandits and warlords. I always have many guns. If I can only have one gun then the situation has forced this on me and I guess I would take a handgun so I can at least be armed and not shot at or arrested.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Heckler303 » 04 Oct 2015, 1:43 pm

Maint point was of you suddely were thrown into a scenario like that of mad-max, with no one around and you have to fend for yourself, whether it be getting food, fending off attackers or just keeping it for the sake of security
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Title_II » 04 Oct 2015, 2:00 pm

Heckler303 wrote:Maint point was of you suddely were thrown into a scenario like that of mad-max, with no one around and you have to fend for yourself, whether it be getting food, fending off attackers or just keeping it for the sake of security

I guess down under, with "Mad Max" and my primary concern being defense against two-legged critters and my secondary concern being killing wild animals for food on the table, I would pick the AR-15 but you said Aussie legal.

If "Mad Max" happened in the US there would be no game to shoot after 2-3 weeks.

BTW, I think Mel Gibson is a riot when he gets drunk :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Lorgar » 07 Oct 2015, 9:52 am

My 7mm Tikka would do me.

If we're talking doomsday though a 10 shot mag instead of the 3 wouldn't hurt ;)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 07 Oct 2015, 11:47 am

.22lr. any .22lr. In that sort of event you can hunt and kill anything with it, it's perfectly effective for self defense, accurate, for every ten rounds of a centre fire Cal or shotgun shells I can carry 50 .22s and more ammo would be much easier to find. So my .22 would still be firing long after someone with a centre fire has reverted to a home made bow and arrow
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Tiger650 » 07 Oct 2015, 4:50 pm

Remington Nylon 66 primarily and if I were allowed two rifles a .357" lever action rifle would be the second.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 07 Oct 2015, 5:14 pm

I would go 308.

With spare .243/260/7mm-08 barrels I will have several guns in 1,sice they are all .308 based the magazines will fit all these rounds.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Hinky » 13 Oct 2015, 8:30 am

Not sure about this 22lr.

Need something a little bigger if you want to live of something other than rabbits (of foxes, yuck)

.223 with heavy pills?
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 13 Oct 2015, 10:45 am

Not sure what is Australia legal, I'm not so restricted yet, so I would opt for my No4 MkI Enfield. Here in Oklahoma my first choice out of the safe would be the M-1 Garand, followed by the Mini-14.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Sender » 14 Oct 2015, 8:42 am

Most of just just not allowed the Mini-14 there.
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles