The better gun: Lee Enfield No 1 mk 3 or K98 Mauser

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

The better gun: Lee Enfield No 1 mk 3 or K98 Mauser

Post by Heckler303 » 05 Oct 2015, 7:25 pm

Had a great idea of starting these threads inbetween the political stuff that goes on and other issues, just focusing on the guns themselves and making these comparitive threads for discussion and open thoughts about each. The 'better gun threads' will put out a question for what you think would be the better gun, as the title says, and what you'd pick if you were given the choice.

First, No 1 mk 3 Lee enfield in .303 vs the K98 7.92x57 Mauser. Which would you choose, and why?

If I had the choice, I may just have to side with the lee enfield, although the mauser in itself would be fantastic, the lee enfield would probably suit me more.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Re: The better gun: Lee Enfield No 1 mk 3 or K98 Mauser

Post by Ed9362 » 05 Oct 2015, 7:46 pm

If I was going to war I would be taking the 303 super fast action and a ten shot mag,
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by newsteadvic » 05 Oct 2015, 7:50 pm

Seems a bit of a Dorothy Dixer, given your username and signature.

However I would say 303 as well. I don't like the Mauser 98 sights, just too small. The aperture on something like the Mark 4 is far superior. The Mauser makes the better sporter option however.
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 05 Oct 2015, 8:50 pm

newsteadvic wrote:Seems a bit of a Dorothy Dixer, given your username and signature.

Seems that way :D
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by GLS_1956 » 05 Oct 2015, 11:03 pm

What am I going to be doing with it? I have a No4 Mk1 Enfield and an M48 Yugoslav "Mauser", and since you don't specify I'll guess just general shooting/plinking. In that case I'll take the Mauser, I like its cock on opening as opposed to the Enfield's cock on closing, also the 8mm Mauser round is more popular here in Oklahoma. That said, my personal choice would be a 1903A3 "Springfield" made by either Remington or Smith-Corona.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by GLS_1956 » 05 Oct 2015, 11:17 pm

Ed9362 wrote:If I was going to war I would be taking the 303 super fast action and a ten shot mag,

Many, many years ago, decades really, I read an article on the battle rifles of the First World War. The Russian M91 and Italian rifles were considered good working, if not anything special, service arms. The American Springfield's were viewed as target/match rifles, by far the most accurate guns. The Mausers were seen as hunting rifles, less accurate than the Springfield more accurate than the Enfield as well as being a handy rifle. But it was the British Enfield that was the only battle rifle. Accurate enough for the job given, durable, reliable, and held twice as much ammo onboard as any competitor.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Heckler303 » 06 Oct 2015, 7:01 am

GLS_1956 wrote:What am I going to be doing with it?.

Anything, use it to to onto the front lines, plink, hunt, use as a coat rack. But a point was made about the whole war business, fast action and just how much ammo one rifle held, which is what you would want, no fussing about with charging clips every 5 shots and throwing a heavy bolt back and forward.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Homer » 06 Oct 2015, 7:57 pm

G'Day Fella's,

Heckler 303, they are two different rifles (obviously, I hear you say)!
The way I put it is, the Mauser 98 is an exceedingly strong (given its design age and when compare to the SMLE), and a great sporting rifle, that was put to good use during war!
The SMLE is widely recognised as The BEST, Bolt Action Battle Rifle ever developed!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by lole » 12 Oct 2015, 9:36 am

Ed9362 wrote:If I was going to war I would be taking the 303 super fast action and a ten shot mag,

Relax, things haven't gotten that bad yet :lol:
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wobble » 12 Oct 2015, 1:01 pm

bentaz wrote: I'd take the no.1 mk. 3 just for the nostalgia factor.

Works for me.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles