Not loving pump action rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Not loving pump action rifle

Post by stevy » 30 Oct 2013, 9:11 am

Hey,

So I've had my first go on a pump action rifle, and I've gotta say, I was not loving it.

Using lever actions before, I find with my forward arm I can hold it reasonably well on target.

Cycling my 2 bolt actions are nice and smooth.

Cycling the pump action felt like bashing it around and wobbling all over the place.

I hardly ever see anyone at my shooting range with pump actions... I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't like them.

Anyone got a pump they like?
CZ 527 VARMINT 223 REM
CZ 555 308 WIN
stevy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Not loving pump action rifle

Post by Monty » 30 Oct 2013, 12:31 pm

I can't say that I'm a fan either.

The only blokes I see shooting them are cowboys who like to make a show of it.

I have honestly heard somebody say 'lock and load' then high-five his buddy after emptying a mag.

:|
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Supporter » 30 Oct 2013, 1:13 pm

Monty wrote:I have honestly heard somebody say 'lock and load' then high-five his buddy after emptying a mag.

:lol:

Ah yes, every range has that guy.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by oohsam » 30 Oct 2013, 3:16 pm

Quite a bit generalization....
I've got one. And I'm no cowboy.

They're actually quite fun to shoot. My mates love shooting it too, they are enjoyable.

Dont forget, not all shooting is about getting the most amazing groups. We forget sometimes its just fun to fire off a few rounds and pump the action, spraying the brass all over your mate on the next bench!

Cheers.
http://gunhunter.com.au
Email alerts for used guns, Get an email when a gun/rifle you're looking for is listed. Instantly.
oohsam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Monty » 30 Oct 2013, 3:23 pm

oohsam wrote:Quite a bit generalization....
I've got one. And I'm no cowboy.

Yes, very general.

That was probably a bit harsh - Just my experience anyway ;)

I think I've got a bit of a soft spot for lever actions which pump actions intrude on a little :lol:
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by oohsam » 30 Oct 2013, 3:31 pm

hahaha fair enough.

I did have a lever action. Which was fun, but I found that it jammed a spent shell every now and then.
Infact, most blokes at the range with a lever always have a jam issue in which the RO has to come and assist him. LoL makes me laugh.
http://gunhunter.com.au
Email alerts for used guns, Get an email when a gun/rifle you're looking for is listed. Instantly.
oohsam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by stevy » 30 Oct 2013, 3:38 pm

oohsam wrote:We forget sometimes its just fun to fire off a few rounds and pump the action, spraying the brass all over your mate on the next bench!

Ha Ha. Showering your mate with hot brass... Ok, I'm on board :D
CZ 527 VARMINT 223 REM
CZ 555 308 WIN
stevy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles