Varmit Rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Varmit Rifle

Post by Sam45 » 10 Nov 2015, 4:43 pm

Hey guys, this will open up a rat's nest but I need some advice. I help out with the Farmer assist program and I am doing Roo culls probably 4 to 5 times a year. Currently have a Tikka Hunter in .223 stainless.

It's a great rifle and very accurate. The problem i'm having, as there is so many to cull it heats up really quick and have to switch to the only other rifle I have which is a .308. Complete overkill. So I will be offloading the .308 to fund this.

Looking for a varmint rifle that I can load through the receiver if need be ( Not a deal killer ). Also what sort of life will the barrel have if it's in stainless.Will be using factory ammo in the short term. Brand is not overly important. Accuracy and barrel life is, within reason of course. Calibre is an option too as i have the .223 as it stands.

Cheers

Sammy :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Varmit Rifle

Post by Gwion » 10 Nov 2015, 4:48 pm

223 Howa heavy barrel jumps to mind immediately. Fits all your requirements. Affordable and accurate.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Sam45 » 10 Nov 2015, 5:00 pm

Gwion wrote:223 Howa heavy barrel jumps to mind immediately. Fits all your requirements. Affordable and accurate.

Yes was just talking about that. Don't want to break the bank and .223 ammo is cheap :)
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 10 Nov 2015, 6:56 pm

They are a heavy bugger, though. Not that it's a big deal if you want a varminting rifle.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Sam45 » 10 Nov 2015, 7:18 pm

Gwion wrote:They are a heavy bugger, though. Not that it's a big deal if you want a varminting rifle.

Will be shooting of a rest in a truck. Not really carrying it as such. I have the Tikka for that :)
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 10 Nov 2015, 8:08 pm

Howa, I have heard there is one in my area that has had 21,000 rds of OSA ammo through it in the last 12mths and will still shoot 1" groups, mostly used to put a dent in the roo population also :thumbsup:

Sam, how long did it take for you to get a " job " with the Farmer Assist program, I have applied a couple of times with no response and am just about to give up :(
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 10 Nov 2015, 8:29 pm

Strikey wrote:Howa, I have heard there is one in my area that has had 21,000 rds of OSA ammo through it in the last 12mths and will still shoot 1" groups, mostly used to put a dent in the roo population also :thumbsup:

Sam, how long did it take for you to get a " job " with the Farmer Assist program, I have applied a couple of times with no response and am just about to give up :(

Yep i'm thinking the howa is going to be the one. Cheap and i have a good scope for it happy days.

As for the Farmer assist the first one took about 4 weeks, then they just flow on from there.

I find with initial contact you basically have to sell your skills and put the farmer at ease. Just from what I have come accross mate.

I now have 2 properties in the Longreach region, heading out at Xmas for a week. Also just picked one up out at St George and going there on the 27Th of this month. You will find most of the farmers in the Longreach, Barcaldine regions know each other and once you get one, they all want to use your services so to speak. Be persistent, maybe change your approach on what you write when you first apply for the "job " Don't be put off and apply to as many as you can get to.

Hope that helps :)
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 10 Nov 2015, 8:37 pm

just remember that a varmint rifle will get as hot after 15 to 20 quick rounds but it will take more than twice as long to cool off
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 11 Nov 2015, 4:18 pm

deye243 wrote:just remember that a varmint rifle will get as hot after 15 to 20 quick rounds but it will take more than twice as long to cool off

Maybe having 2x 223 to swap between will give better barrel life in both, as one can cool while the other gets a work out.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Sam45 » 11 Nov 2015, 5:56 pm

Gwion wrote:
deye243 wrote:just remember that a varmint rifle will get as hot after 15 to 20 quick rounds but it will take more than twice as long to cool off

Maybe having 2x 223 to swap between will give better barrel life in both, as one can cool while the other gets a work out.

That is probably the best way to go. :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Varmtr » 11 Nov 2015, 6:11 pm

As above another 223 HB as you have all ready the gear. There nothing wrong with the ol 308 either or look at some of the 6.5mm options.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 11 Nov 2015, 6:24 pm

Varmtr wrote:As above another 223 HB as you have all ready the gear. There nothing wrong with the ol 308 either or look at some of the 6.5mm options.

Yep have a .308 just a tad overkill for Roo's :)
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 11 Nov 2015, 6:39 pm

Gwion wrote:

I used to use 2 223 sporters when we were in an extended drought here

but that finished 4 years ago now i just use a rem700 with a # 5 barrel now

it's just knock off 10 or 20 and pull the pin every now and then just to keep

the numbers steady .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Nov 2015, 8:12 pm

Have a look at the new Mini Howa Actions in 223. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by BBJ » 12 Nov 2015, 10:34 am

Gwion wrote:223 Howa heavy barrel jumps to mind immediately. Fits all your requirements. Affordable and accurate.

And the Howa price tag is always agreeable.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Return to Centerfire rifles