Another good service story.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Another good service story.

Post by Baz460 » 12 Nov 2015, 8:27 pm

Hi.

After having my 30+ year old Kahles cleaned and sent back to Australia free of charge, (it cost me $80 to ensure and send it to them and) ........Unbelievable Service.

I had just purchased a Remington 700 XCR 257 Weatherby Magnum, and trying to get ammunition or even brass has been a major headache.

Finally got some brass, then tried to get some reloading dies...........No Luck, Any Where.

On the list of the numerous emails and phone, was Halls Firearms in Townsville, spoke to a bloke called Dave, and he said that there would not be any 257 dies in the country for quite some time, not what I wanted to hear, after just getting my 257 and brass.

After saying to him that I was up s**t creek, so to speak, he said to me that he had a 257 and loaded for it, my next question was would he be interested in selling me his.

To cut a long story short, he got back to me the next day, and said I could have his, and he would order a new set for himself.

The service and hospitality shown by Dave from Halls Firearms and great service from Kahles, is something that has restored my faith in the manufacturing and retail industry, which from an old bloke like me, is extremely rare in this day and age.

Cheers Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Another good service story.

Post by TheDude » 13 Nov 2015, 8:41 am

Always good to hear about good service around the place.

For some of those difficult to get dies have you also considered places like brownells/Sinclair Intl in the states. Haven't ordered lately with the dollar so bad but when it was stronger even with international shipping the price was good and you can get stuff that you'd never find or wait 6 months for the local distributors to order in.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SendIt » 13 Nov 2015, 9:03 am

Two in one week! What's happening?
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 14 Nov 2015, 7:08 am

Good to see some people still believe in the old ways
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 14 Nov 2015, 9:54 am

I don't want to take away from the original post but what do you use or need these "dies" for? I understand it has something to do with doing your own reloads....
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 14 Nov 2015, 1:00 pm

To reload ammunition, most people use presses. These raise the cartridge up and into the dies. Each die performs different functions. Some reshape and/or resize the die, some push the bullet into the case (seating die), some crimp the neck around the bullet (crimping die) etc. So in short, a die is a piece that screws into the press to perform one of the reloading functions
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by OODAH » 14 Nov 2015, 7:14 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:To reload ammunition, most people use presses. These raise the cartridge up and into the dies. Each die performs different functions. Some reshape and/or resize the die, some push the bullet into the case (seating die), some crimp the neck around the bullet (crimping die) etc. So in short, a die is a piece that screws into the press to perform one of the reloading functions

R i see! This is why they would come in sets. Thanks
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baz460 » 14 Nov 2015, 7:42 pm

Bentaz. All good thanks mate, but I've got a 257 Weatherby Magnum, a bit different than the 257 Roberts.

Cheers Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 14 Nov 2015, 10:44 pm

Midway Australia on eBay has been a great source of dies for me including .257 & .300 weatherby. Zhen's a great guy who is local to me and often I'll spend and hour or more talking all things shooting when I pick items up on my way home from work. To be honest I pick up from him mainly cause he always offers me some chocolates while we talk and being a fat bastard I can't refuse chocolate :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 18 Nov 2015, 9:17 am

OODAH wrote:I don't want to take away from the original post but what do you use or need these "dies" for? I understand it has something to do with doing your own reloads....

Have a gander at these cross-sections for some understanding of them.

reloading-dies.jpg
reloading-dies.jpg (28.42 KiB) Viewed 2440 times

They sit at the top of the press, the case sits in the ram below it and gets raised into the die to shape the brass or push the projectile into the case.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by OODAH » 20 Nov 2015, 1:37 pm

Thanks Bourt!

It seems like there is a bit too it, no wonder I've been told to be careful of bad ammo.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Redwood » 23 Nov 2015, 10:40 am

OODAH wrote:It seems like there is a bit too it, no wonder I've been told to be careful of bad ammo.

Yes and no.

There are lots of different dies for different purposes but loading one type of cartridge doesn't require them all.

Reloading for some thing relatively simple/common like .308 only needs two dies, a sizing die to prepare the brass, and a seating die to insert the bullet.

Seating the dies to the right height isn't hard once you know how.

What are you reloading for? Or going to start reloading for?

edit: maybe better start a new topic for it so we don't derail this one any more.
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles