First Rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

First Rifle

Post by SuperHans » 06 Dec 2015, 7:55 am

Ok so im looking to start target shooting. I already had a cat H for a few years. But didnt like doing so many comps. Like a dont mind doing a few comps every now and again. But mainly im doing this just for fun. So im really deciding between 2 rifles. Either the Howa 1500 in what caliber? Should I start with a 223 or go for something heaiver like a 308 or 30-06. I shot some heavy magnum pistols so does this carry over? or the mk 3 SMLE. would the SMLE be bad to start off with. But my thinking was starting off with ironsights would give me a little more learning before trying to figure out scopes. Or is it just not right for a first rifle?

Open to other suggestions aswell
SuperHans
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: First Rifle

Post by AusTac » 06 Dec 2015, 8:24 am

I've had both, depends what you want to do, the howa is obviously a more modern, accurate and is a solid rifle, heaps of chassis systems and after market parts avaliable and if you have the coin you can really stretch its legs with some long range add ons. It was a nice rifle but i sold it for some cash to put towards a new safe at the time.

But i love my no 4 mk 1, solid as and is now my go to rifle for a bit of everything, there are some nice smle's out there too, if i was going to buy another enfield id probably spend just that little bit more to get one thats had a little work, barrel, headspace etc

I kept the enfield over the howa ( 308win varmint ) because it was a heavy bastard and from the box the crappy boyds stock needed some inletting work to get it off the barrel

Another thing is 303 is a little harder to get than 30-06 ( may want to reload of you don't already )
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 06 Dec 2015, 10:51 am

if you're wanting to target shoot, then there are 'target' type single shot and repeater Savage rifles..... want are you wanting to spend? target stocks, longer barrel, heavier, different port configurations and specific target chamberings like 6NormaBR,6.5x284Norma, 308Win(&Palma) in addition to 223Rem...

But starting off I think its advisable to start with a rimfire to learn the ropes, operation safety function, but if you want to jump right in to centrefire, why not.....

The 223Rem has very mild recoil, and you'll happily shoot it all day on or off the bench, while the mid recoil 30 cals, are manageable but if you want to avoid a flinch, you really need to master them with lots of rounds, regularly shot, a couple hundred at least.

If you go out to the range and fire off 10 or twenty rounds, once every few months......stick to the 223 initially.

Milsurp are a lot of fun, but again, lots of rounds to 'learn' the recoil and butt-plate

You'll find 303 at most/all dealers, there are a few more brands, even in cheaper 50rd packs

:welcome:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 06 Dec 2015, 9:04 pm

Id go with a heavy barrelled Howa .30-06 or .223 . The .223 is a good low recoil calibre and the .30-06 kicks a bit but is a good calibre for long ranges and the .308 is pretty much the same thing to be honest . I've got two Howas in .223 and .30-06 and they're both great and shoot under MOA with factory ammo
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by SuperHans » 07 Dec 2015, 7:58 am

hmm I dunno what to go with :crazy: . How many rounds do you normally go through at a range visit? Because considering 223 is almost half the price of 30-06.
SuperHans
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 07 Dec 2015, 8:40 am

SuperHans wrote:hmm I dunno what to go with :crazy: . How many rounds do you normally go through at a range visit? Because considering 223 is almost half the price of 30-06.

Do you want to shoot at long range? If so, the NRAA.com.au is an option and they have a number of disciplines: scope sight or aperture. Sorry but all the equipment is very expensive and everyone reloads. FWIW, I shot a 223 and it was very good but YMMV and every charge for 800 to 1000 was weighed on an electric scale.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 07 Dec 2015, 11:39 am

As far as how many rounds you go through it depends really what your up to, if your after a group you'll take your time and focus on the fundementals and go through maybe a round every 30s or so, if your there just for s**ts and gigs maybe a few hundred and if you have a nice/expensive rifle take along some fudge rounds so all your new found friends can put a round or so through if you feeling nice
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 07 Dec 2015, 1:48 pm

May be best to start small and cheap.

Get a 22lr to get comfy with shooting the rifle; you can shoot hundreds of rounds and it will cost you bugger all compared to centerfire. Anyone shooting rifles needs a 22lr, anyway... just... because.

Once you're happy with your shooting with the 22 out to 50yd/meters, get a 223rem with a 1-9 (eg:Howa) or 1-8 (eg:Tikka) twist barrel so that you can shoot longer (heavier) bullets that will perform better at longer range. My 1-12 twist 223rem does alright with 55gn out to 500yds but not really any good out to 600yd and the wind is a BIG factor in my ability to group with it. Heavier rounds (longer and so need faster twist) are commonly used well past these ranges and also are less affected by the wind within any range.

These two rifles, 22lr & 223rem, will give you a good lead into the sport and you can explore what sort of target shooting you want to play with from there; which means you will probably buy more rifles.

Also get into reloading for accuracy (precision) and cost effectiveness; i reload my 223 for about 50c a round or less, whereas factory rounds go at $1 a pop or more. I've only been reloading for about 2 years and the gear has paid for itself a couple of times already with the cash i've saved on ammo, especially now that i am now shooting a larger caliber/cartridge as well.

Of course, you can start with what ever you want but this is just a tip from someone who has been through the same process over the last few years. To me, shooting a 223 at 100 is like shooting a 22 at 50; not too hard to group ok if you have the right ammo and some basic technique; whereas shooting a 22 at 100 is like shooting a 223 at 300+; technique and wind really start to play a larger part in the end result. So, a 22 is still a handy practice tool to push out the range a bit and practice cheaply, even when you are also shooting centerfires. I don't know your financial situation but ammo (and other bits) can add up QUICK!

Good luck with it!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Herdsman » 08 Dec 2015, 2:25 pm

NukeBOMB88 wrote:Id go with a heavy barrelled Howa .30-06 or .223 . The .223 is a good low recoil calibre and the .30-06 kicks a bit but is a good calibre for long ranges and the .308 is pretty much the same thing to be honest.

Worth noting you can't use a 30-06 in a few of the classes/comps so .308 will let you do more in that respect if you want to get into comps with other people and not just punch paper by yourself.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 09 Dec 2015, 12:36 am

This:

http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/ind ... s50-detail

Get the .223. You don't even know what you want to use it for yet. It will be very accurate out to 500 meters or so and cheap to shoot. If you decide to start hunting larger game you can get a larger rifle.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Baronvonrort » 09 Dec 2015, 8:27 pm

SuperHans wrote:Ok so im looking to start target shooting. I already had a cat H for a few years. But didnt like doing so many comps. Like a dont mind doing a few comps every now and again. But mainly im doing this just for fun.

For target shooting starting off with a rimfire is probably the best option everything you learn will transfer to bigger guns.

I reckon Anshutz is the go for rimfire target shooting, when you figure that out get a .243
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 09 Dec 2015, 10:18 pm

My advice....Buy 3 rifles and a shotgun :D

22LR - For practice and fun
.223 - Good platform to learn centre fire shooting, cheap on ammo and good on varmints.
.308 / 30-06 - Centre fire comp but see what comp you want to shoot and the rifles being used before investing.
12ga - Every shooter should have at least 2 in the safe.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kipper » 15 Dec 2015, 8:29 am

Can do Brett.

Send you the bill?
Kipper
Lance Corporal