Running in a new barrel

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Running in a new barrel

Post by snag » 29 Dec 2015, 4:19 pm

I just picked up a Weatherby Vanguard .223 - my first new centrefire in a lot of years. In the old days we didn't really worry about running in guns, just cleaned them and shot them. Does anyone have a tried-and-true method for a rifle like mine? I've read heaps of contradicting stuff on the internet so I was wondering what has worked for people in the real world. Thanks.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Running in a new barrel

Post by Strikey » 29 Dec 2015, 6:20 pm

This would be one of the best topics to start a s**t fight, so I am going to sit back with a nice cold beer, watch and have a few laughs :lol: My method of barrel run-in works for me so lets see what all the guru's come up with ;)

You will enjoy that Weatherby, recently picked one up myself and its a shooter so it will be a keeper :drinks:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 29 Dec 2015, 7:12 pm

My opinion is influenced by having read benchrest.com
To summarize: unless it is hand lapped, it is a waste of time.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 29 Dec 2015, 7:20 pm

I'm pretty much a go and shoot guy, especially with rimfires. I've been told the best break in method is to slow fire 3 rounds, run a patch through the barrel and let it cool, repeat two more times for a total of 9 rounds, Then to do the same with 5 rounds for two sessions, totaling 10 rounds this time. Total rounds fired will be 19, which leaves one odd round out of a box of 20. Since I got a Ruger SR-556 for Christmas I'll give the break in a try when it makes it to the range.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 29 Dec 2015, 8:50 pm

I wouldn't bother mate from my experience you can still get fantastic accuracy if you just take the gun and shoot it normally from the get go. Both my Howa rifles I didn't run in and they both shoot MOA with factory ammo and my Ruger I did run in and it shoots not all that better , only very slightly better and I put that down to it being a more expensive and rifle and a proper benchrest one at that.
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 29 Dec 2015, 9:05 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:My opinion is influenced by having read benchrest.com
To summarize: unless it is hand lapped, it is a waste of time.

Interesting. I'd say the opposite. Hand lapped barrels foul less and shoot better new.

Factory barrels tend to foul more and take longer st settle into good accuracy.

To me it makes no difference how you treat a barrel as long as you don't over heat it and don't allow it to foul excessively.

How do you know if it's fouling excessively if you don't clean it?

I'd say a factory barrel gets more accurate for the first 100 rounds or so. Whether you choose to shoot them all the first day or 5 rounds at a time over two years I think it gets to the same point.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 29 Dec 2015, 9:41 pm

Hand lapping a barrel when a new barrel is ok before you chamber it after that you do more damage than good look up fire lapping if its just a run of the mill firearm just shoot the thing and clean it when you need too.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by dugachelli » 29 Dec 2015, 10:42 pm

Guess what.......I have 2 Tikka's, brand new and they have had "at least" 3 rounds put through each of them at the factory before I got them.....go figure.
dugachelli
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 30 Dec 2015, 12:45 am

Each to their own, but I did some reading online a while back. Goodle "gale mcmillan running in posts" and I think you'll find it interesting.

To me the most important part is to clean and lube after use to prevent rust and to take good care of your crown. Beyond that, there are no definitive right ways to run in or clean. Again, each to their own.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 31 Dec 2015, 1:39 am

On new barrels I don't like to overheat them in the first 50 rounds, if you can't wrap your hand around the chamber then its too hot. Shoot 2-3 then let it cool, repeat till you get around 50 through it and follow the article about break in. If I'm running in a new barrel at the range I'll take the 22LR along to keep me shooting whist the other barrel cools off.

http://www.bartleinbarrels.com/BreakInCleaning.htm

I have a Bartlein hand lapped match barrel in one of my rifles and the above link shows their general "break-in" procedure. The key point is that every barrel is different so let the barrel dictate the break in regime. I've used this approach on most of my rifles, it's fairly simple and doesn't consume vast amounts of ammunition. Read the bottom of the article where they discuss how to clean a barrel, it's a good guide for how to do it properly. It's very tempting to get out to the range with your shiny new rifle and smack a few boxes of ammo down the range getting it sighted in and over cooking it. Not many barrel makers heat de-stress barrels post rifling so a gradual heating cooling approach makes up for this. Lilja is one of the few custom barrel makers that heat treat pre and post rifling and their barrels hold many Olympic and world records. I read that it was a Lilja barreled McMillan Tac-50 that Rob Furlong used to take out an insurgent at 2430M in Afghanistan so Daniel Lilja & family know their stuff.

Good article on fouling
http://riflebarrels.com/barrel-fouling/

Excellent Article on barrel making - Read paragraph 16 starting with "Residual Stress".
http://riflebarrels.com/what-makes-a-rifle-barrel-accurate/

Break in procedure for Lilja Centre fire barrels
http://riflebarrels.com/support/centerfire-maintenance/

Enjoy the shooting and remember that cleaning barrels is all part of the fun :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 31 Dec 2015, 8:38 am

brett1868 wrote:
Good article on fouling
http://riflebarrels.com/barrel-fouling/

Very interesting about leaving a layer of hard carbon on the rifling. Challenges my pre-conceiveved notions :o
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 31 Dec 2015, 8:53 am

snag wrote:I just picked up a Weatherby Vanguard .223 - my first new centrefire in a lot of years. In the old days we didn't really worry about running in guns, just cleaned them and shot them. Does anyone have a tried-and-true method for a rifle like mine? I've read heaps of contradicting stuff on the internet so I was wondering what has worked for people in the real world. Thanks.

"just cleaned them and shot them"
If you're happy with that then why change?

If you're a BR shooter, chasing the smallest increment of group size thats one thing, and a consistent barrel condition is important (perhaps more so than initial shooting/'break in) for hunters/plinkers....not so important imho,

If you ask the dealer he (along with many others) will recommend the shoot X, clean shoot X clean, shoot X clean.... as he camly tables 4 boxes of 'shooting in' ammo :lol: :?

This here is the definitive break in procedure technique, may even be worthwhile to take a few stills and stick them on the wall of the reloading room, you know, for tips/inspiration..
.....you can tell from the sound when its proper' broke in :lol: :silent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 31 Dec 2015, 10:43 am

snag wrote:I just picked up a Weatherby Vanguard .223 - my first new centrefire in a lot of years. In the old days we didn't really worry about running in guns, just cleaned them and shot them. Does anyone have a tried-and-true method for a rifle like mine? I've read heaps of contradicting stuff on the internet so I was wondering what has worked for people in the real world. Thanks.

I use the Charles Mawhinney method which is pretty quick and simple. Give the barrel a good scrub out to clean the manufacturers rust protection crud out of the bore then shoot 8 shots, cleaning the bore between each shot. Sight in and off you go.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by sandgroperbill » 31 Dec 2015, 11:43 am

Genesis... Love that video :)
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Rocker » 04 Jan 2016, 10:20 am

snag wrote:Does anyone have a tried-and-true method for a rifle like mine?

Clean it.

Shoot it.

Don't abuse it with excessive rate of fire or hot loads.

Works for everything.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by snag » 04 Jan 2016, 9:47 pm

Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice. Ends up that a local farmer asked for a hand with some wild dogs , so the new gun got the same treatment as my old ones - a thorough cleaning and put to work. Sighted in on a beer can at 100ish paces and smacked 2 dogs. Loved the clip that Genesis93 put on his post. Looking forward to taking my Vanguard to the range and sighting it properly, reckon it's a keeper. Thanks again.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SendIt » 08 Jan 2016, 10:24 am

Cleaning it before you shoot a new rifle is an absolute must, there's no two ways about that.

Firing a rifle while the barrel is full of the protective grease that ships from the factory with most rifles may significantly damage (likely cause a bulge) or at least degrade the accuracy of the barrel.

Competitive LR benchrest shooters often swear by the run-in process they do. It's arguable how much it's doing mechanically, if nothing else though the peace of mind helps them shoot better so you could say it's worth it to them.

Beyond that it's houses for courses and what's practical/sensible for your situation.

A hunter won't benefit at all from an elaborate run in procedure IMO. Just clean and protect the barrel during storage is all it needs.
Last edited by SendIt on 13 Jan 2016, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 08 Jan 2016, 6:14 pm

The shoot x/clean, shoot x clean repeat repeat thing might be debatable, but what isnt debatable is the fact that the barrel must be clean and free of any material including the layer of lube left in there after cleaning or in transport. To reiterate, oil in the barrel, of sufficient quantity, will damage the barrel. .... Its obviously important to leave a protective layer of lube inside the barrel and chamber after cleaning, but even more important to remove it before shooting, from the barrel AND the chamber.

Oil in the chamber will -remove- the necessary friction between the case side walls and the chamber upon firing, thereby INCREASING the thrust on the bolt face = bad.

Oil in the barrel may/will bulge the barrel....if you can imagine a layer of oil inside the barrel; as a bullet moves down the barrel from the chamber it will move(sweep up) the oil as it travels and will get to a point, very quickly, where the oil between the front of the bullet and the barrel NEEDS to go somewhere, it can not compress (hydraulic fluid are very useful due to that property), can no longer push it forward, so either the bullet collapses or the barrel expands.....to allow the bullet to 'move past' the oil. When the oil wins - the barrel loses, and expands. Enter the barrel 'bulge'.

So clean your barrels after shooting, but never forget to patch out before. :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by vexesus » 14 Jan 2016, 12:33 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:never forget to patch out before. :thumbsup:

9/10 don't patch out from what I see at the range :|

Straight out of the bag and bang bang
vexesus
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 14 Jan 2016, 1:13 pm

I patch out and clean at home before heading to the range cause I don't like having to grunt around rods, patches and sundries with me. Just cause it isn't seen doesn't mean it wasn't done. I always factor in at least 1hr for cleaning after getting home from the range and a full day if I've been bush. Having an obsessive compulsive type personality I can't sleep if I haven't properly cleaned and secured the rifles before bed. I actually enjoy the cleaning process, bit like foreplay before the act of shooting and cleaning is the cuddling after :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 16 Jan 2016, 7:30 am

Do you have to run in a shotgun barrel or take any extra care while new?
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 16 Jan 2016, 7:42 am

OODAH wrote:Do you have to run in a shotgun barrel or take any extra care while new?

Definitely run it in like a rifle, I posted a how to video on another thread, somewhere... :thumbsup:

No, you dont that is :sarcasm: :allegedly:

Use the 'Nike' technique, 'Just shoot it' :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by huccl » 18 Jan 2016, 9:15 am

OODAH wrote:Do you have to run in a shotgun barrel or take any extra care while new?

Just clean the barrel to remove whatever they put in it to protect it during storage.
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 18 Jan 2016, 2:43 pm

huccl wrote:

Just clean the barrel to remove whatever they put in it to protect it during storage.

Thanks guys.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 19 Jan 2016, 12:49 am

Switch it to AUTO and dump a BETA mag at a refridgerator. Hold my beer, watch this.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Redwood » 19 Jan 2016, 1:42 pm

Title_II wrote:Switch it to AUTO

We wish.
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 19 Jan 2016, 3:09 pm

You'll still hold my beer, right?

Let's focus on what's important :)

Anyway, sorry for the diversion.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wobble » 20 Jan 2016, 2:43 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:The shoot x/clean, shoot x clean repeat repeat thing might be debatable

I notice people who sell barrels or ammo are big fans of shooters doing it :lol:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 20 Jan 2016, 2:49 pm

My understanding is that a good run in routine decreases ongoing fouling, increasing the period of copper equalibrium, decreasing the need to clean so often, decreasing the need for fouling period to get a hunting rifle shooting 1st/2nd/3rd shots on the same zero, saving ammo and improving strike rate.

Mind you, you can't believe everything you see on YouTube!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KRUAv3Byp4

As the man says; you decide what is best for your situation and shooting application. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Harts » 29 Jan 2016, 8:34 am

Wobble wrote:I notice people who sell barrels or ammo are big fans of shooters doing it :lol:

I can't remember the name but there was a well known smith in the states that claimed he invented the whole process just to get more barrel work.
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles