Stirling Model 14 Trigger Housing Metal Decay

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Stirling Model 14 Trigger Housing Metal Decay

Post by JhonHodNZ » 10 Jan 2016, 1:23 pm

I inherited the above bolt action .22. The trigger was jammed and on disassembly ( release and remove barrel/receiver) pieces of metal rattled onto the bench. The trigger assembly housing looks to be made from "pot - metal", some sort of soft cast alloy. It's rotten. On close inspection the trigger guard was all cracked and crazed. With a little pressure it fell apart. Same with the insides. Slight finger pressure and the metal housing literally crumbles like a piece of shortbread. The rifle was purchased prob early '80's. The barrel is fine ( and accurate in its day). I'm interested if anyone else has come across this? Is it typical of Stirling product? Is an aftermarket replacement available? Or do I just offer it up for parts for a buck?

Cheers
JhonHodNZ
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Re: Stirling Model 14 Trigger Housing Metal Decay

Post by happyhunter » 12 Jan 2016, 8:38 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 16 Feb 2017, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Norton » 13 Jan 2016, 12:39 pm

Stored in a salt mine or what? :lol:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RealNick » 22 Jan 2016, 1:03 pm

Nasty.

Any pictures going?
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hercl » 17 Feb 2016, 10:11 am

Doesn't sound like there is enough to save, maybe only thing to do is part out the barrel if you can find a buyer.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ramslammer » 19 Jan 2022, 5:03 pm

JhonHodNZ wrote:I inherited the above bolt action .22. The trigger was jammed and on disassembly ( release and remove barrel/receiver) pieces of metal rattled onto the bench. The trigger assembly housing looks to be made from "pot - metal", some sort of soft cast alloy. It's rotten. On close inspection the trigger guard was all cracked and crazed. With a little pressure it fell apart. Same with the insides. Slight finger pressure and the metal housing literally crumbles like a piece of shortbread. The rifle was purchased prob early '80's. The barrel is fine ( and accurate in its day). I'm interested if anyone else has come across this? Is it typical of Stirling product? Is an aftermarket replacement available? Or do I just offer it up for parts for a buck?

Cheers

Hey Jhon you still got the stirling housing parts?
Regards John
Ramslammer
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles