A question about columbian mausers

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

A question about columbian mausers

Post by Supaduke » 15 Jan 2016, 6:12 am

Hi all, thought I would try my luck asking here.
I recently stumbled across a sporterized Colombian Mauser at quite a cheap cost.
The stock is a throw away travesty, the action however is in near new condition. Bright sharp rifling and the parkerising all intact.
I have a 1950's Belgian Mauser , the stock I believe is exactly the same. One idea was to remove my original barrelled action and slot in this one as its in far better condition.
My question is, are there any other types of Mauser that a Colombian 30-06 Mauser barrelled action would slot into? Or where I could find a Colombian Mauser stock set? Any info or leads would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Re: A question about columbian mausers

Post by 6mmdasher » 15 Jan 2016, 6:19 am

I have a columbian mauser that sits in an old Parker hale mauser stock, most of the m98's will slot in to other stocks. The main difference will be barrel length between all of them, My columbian had a 17' 30/06 barrel
22lr, 22br,6mm br,30br, 6mm PPC,6mm dasher, 6mm superLR, 260 rem, 257 rob ack imp,7 x 57 ack imp,308 win,30/06 ack imp, 32/20, 44/40, 444 marlin,12.14 x 42mm
6mmdasher
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by ebr love » 15 Jan 2016, 8:34 am

Supaduke wrote:The stock is a throw away travesty

That statement needs pictures :lol:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Jan 2016, 9:14 am

Supaduke wrote:Hi all, thought I would try my luck asking here.
I recently stumbled across a sporterized Colombian Mauser at quite a cheap cost.
The stock is a throw away travesty, the action however is in near new condition. Bright sharp rifling and the parkerising all intact.
I have a 1950's Belgian Mauser , the stock I believe is exactly the same. One idea was to remove my original barrelled action and slot in this one as its in far better condition.
My question is, are there any other types of Mauser that a Colombian 30-06 Mauser barrelled action would slot into? Or where I could find a Colombian Mauser stock set? Any info or leads would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

Throw away travesty could describe many out of the factory rifles.... :lol: I picked up a near new yugo mil mauser with a stock that was apparently made by a left handed, blind, bureaucrat with a blunt spoon, and no left arm... :unknown:

You could have a go at re-co'ing the stock, refinishing.... might be easier than finding another set - in better condition

What kind of Colombian mauser is this pick-up?? There are many types and chamberings that they used up until one of, if not the last FN contract post war, if it is also a m98 based example like your Belgian (FN) it might even be an FN manufacture. Otherwise most 98s should be pretty much equivalent, although there are variants that are a bit shorter like the Yugo 48 series...and some hens teeth German short action Mausers.... action screw spacing determines...
Pics?
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Supaduke » 15 Jan 2016, 11:23 am

It's one of the 30-06 R . Famage mausers, pretty sure it's FN manufactured. Looks basically the same as my Belgian FN, has the stepped military barrel. I will try and get some pictures tonight. I haven't actually purchased it yet. Trying to work out if it's worth the effort. I noticed it in the rack of second hand beaters, the stepped barrel stands out like the dog's proverbial. Asked old mate behind the counter for a gander. The stock was a poly coated p.o.s. that had been cut down and the hand guard removed . Looked like it had been borrowed off a Chinese Sluggy . But the action was unbelievably tidy. Crest was strong, parkerising unblemished, bolt tight and smooth , rifling looked brand new. It was almost criminal what had been done to the stock. Even the races were smooth and unworn .
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Jan 2016, 11:34 am

FAMAGE is the contraction of the name of the Colombian state Arsenal, (in English 'War Material factory' or thereabouts) means its a reworked 7mm or other....and not -06 by birth...if the headspace is ok, rifling is solid - I would be more confident if the dealer checked the headspace and even wrote on the receipt that HS in tolerance.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by No1Mk3 » 16 Jan 2016, 6:32 am

G'day Supaduke,
A lot of variation in the barrel length on the Colombians depending on military or police use. Just buying a stock set, you would need to specify your barrel length to ensure a proper fit. Best bet is to buy a full length set and cut it to fit, or have it cut by a 'smith if you are not confidant of your own woodwork. Any FN 98 stock will fit, and usedguns or firearmsales are good starting points. Other than that, buy one from the States, no permits needed for stocks, and I know libertytreecollectors has FN M968 Mosqueton stocks at the moment for US$45 + p/h, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 16 Jan 2016, 7:50 am

Looks like liberty tree might be the go, I will take some measurements and fire off a few emails , see what happens. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks very much for the info.
Here is a pic of the fn 1950 Belgian Mauser I own, factory barrelled in 30-06 and fairly rare
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 5398 times
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 16 Jan 2016, 1:57 pm

Check that Columbian stock for cocaine before you throw it out :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Yelp » 18 Jan 2016, 9:46 am

Supaduke wrote:Here is a pic of the fn 1950 Belgian Mauser I own, factory barrelled in 30-06 and fairly rare

Nice :D
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by OODAH » 19 Jan 2016, 12:07 pm

Great looking old Rifle, I feel it needs a rustic looking leather strap as a sling.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ebr love » 19 Jan 2016, 3:14 pm

Yeah that's nice.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 Jan 2016, 4:16 pm

G'day Supaduke,
Is your rifle "L" crest or "B" crest? I have the same rifle in a Congolese "FP" crest, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gregg » 20 Jan 2016, 1:51 pm

Title_II wrote:Check that Columbian stock for cocaine before you throw it out :D

That could be an awkward conversation with the gunsmith when you drop it of for some work.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles