Cleaning an abused T3 lite!

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Cleaning an abused T3 lite!

Post by MalleeFarmer » 15 Jan 2016, 7:37 am

Hi all I have volunteered to clean a mates tikka .22-250 as I was having a chat with him last night and he decided we would have a shot with a couple of his guns. A 10/22, .410 and the T3. And all functioned well but have never been cleaned he is a farmer and firearms are purely utilitarian for him he is not big on maintenance and was appreciative that I offered to clean the Tikka. Could there be any adverse affects from cleaning a very dirty rifle that has never been cleaned in its life?
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Cleaning an abused T3 lite!

Post by Chronos » 15 Jan 2016, 8:02 am

Only that you might discover pretty bad wear and corroision from it never having been cleaned :lol:

It may take a while to settle down after being cleaned so be prepared to sight it in again

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Boss4b » 15 Jan 2016, 8:04 am

Not unless it's 200 years old
Boss4b
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 15 Jan 2016, 8:05 am

What do you mean settle down? As in poor accuracy? Or changed POI?
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by ebr love » 15 Jan 2016, 8:32 am

It's possible.

The built up fouling plays a part in how the bullet travels/exits the barrel and everything that happens from there.

When you clean it out you've changed that, so the point of impact may change.

As the fouling builds up through firing from a clean barrel to a more normal level it may wander a little before settling like Chronos said.

All that said though don't over analyse it and stress :lol:

It's possible, may happen a little, may not be noticeable. And the end of the day it's a Tikka for hunting and it will still be up to that task after cleaning, no worries.

If it's never been cleaned then it sure as s**t needs one. You'd be doing him a favour by extending the life of his rifle for him.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 15 Jan 2016, 10:16 am

Fair enough! I've given it a fairly solid clean out. :shock: but everytime I brass brush the bore more crud comes out so I'm soaking it in solvent and I'll give it another scrub later and a patch out and then it should be right to sight in again. :allegedly: I can already see some inconsistencies in the bore :thumbsdown: but hopefully they're not too bad and it will still shoot ok for him! :unknown: cheers for the help
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 15 Jan 2016, 1:04 pm

so what carbon cleaner are you using and what copper cleaner ?
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 15 Jan 2016, 1:32 pm

I'm just using G96 complete gun cleaner (solvent/lube) seems to work pretty well on my rifles but then I clean mine pretty well every time I use them so never get too badly fouled. It has cleaned up well unfortunately the barrel is showing some spots that aren't coming out. I'm assuming pitting. :thumbsdown: but I've re sighted the rifle and a few clicks and old mate is back at 1" high at 100. First group was 2" following 2 were around 1" so that's pretty good considering. A good brag point for tikka owners seems like a good farm gun to me. The definition of handling Abuse is clean it once in 3 years and when it's cleaned still shoots MOA. :drinks: anyway I think he's lucky I got to it when I did. Cheers for the help lads.

MF :friends:
Attachments
image.jpg
T3 .22-250
image.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 3581 times
image.jpeg
Pitting?
image.jpeg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 3581 times
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 16 Jan 2016, 10:43 am

So, when you say inconsistencies in the bore; can you feel it with the brush or can you actually see them?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 17 Jan 2016, 9:02 am

Gwion wrote:So, when you say inconsistencies in the bore; can you feel it with the brush or can you actually see them?

I can see them.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 17 Jan 2016, 11:21 am

Well... that don't sound good, does it!?!\

As long as it still shoots ok for him, i guess!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusC » 20 Jan 2016, 1:35 pm

A small rough patch or two doesn't mean the end of the world, especially in a hunting rifle.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles