Newby - First firearm

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Newby - First firearm

Post by Gwion » 08 Feb 2016, 5:25 pm

That rifle will be a very good starting point. 70gn bullets will have you shooting it out to 600yd with practice a a good set up.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Strikey » 08 Feb 2016, 6:44 pm

Dogga85 wrote:Thanks for the replys. I did not speak to a salesman, unfortunately I obviously got bad advice from the range. I have called the firearm place and changed my firearm, I am now getting a WEATHERBY VANGUARD S2 STAINLESS SYNTHETIC .223. Please no more negative replys if you don't like this decision lol.

This is a better choice than the .308, and its still a Howa. I recently acquired the same rifle albeit with blued steel and it has performed beyond my expectations especially when fed Outback ( OSA ) ammo. The .223 is very easy to shoot, my 12yr old son easily shoots roos with it and enjoys shooting with it at the range but he has started with air rifles then progressed to .22lr before using a centrefire. Put a half decent scope on your Weatherby and you will do alright ;) Don't forget to buy a good one piece cleaning rod, bore guide, brushes, jag, patches, bore solvent & oil ( stainless rifles will rust also ) to look after your new rifle :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dogga85 » 09 Feb 2016, 6:23 am

happyhunter wrote:
Dogga85 wrote:Thanks for all of your input. After asking on here, and talking to the guys down the club, and having shoots of a .223, i decided, and put a deposit on a Howa 1500 Varmint .308, custom with a Boyd Pepper Stock and 10 shot.

I factored in things like, how long i'll get use out of the rifle, a .308 will suit me for longer as I am now more into shooting targets further than originally thought, will also help accuracy over that distance, and its just an awesome looking rifle lol. From what i read on reviews/forums, all were very positive.

Nice rifle, looks great and sure you will get years of enjoyment from it. But, if you gonna hunt proper in the future you gonna need want something else ;)

This made me LOL!!!

Thanks guys, definitely going to get a good quality cleaning kit. I live in the tropics, would you recommend one of those electronic dehumidifiers for my safe as well???
Dogga85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Feb 2016, 9:28 am

Dogga85 wrote:
happyhunter wrote:
Dogga85 wrote:Thanks for all of your input. After asking on here, and talking to the guys down the club, and having shoots of a .223, i decided, and put a deposit on a Howa 1500 Varmint .308, custom with a Boyd Pepper Stock and 10 shot.

I factored in things like, how long i'll get use out of the rifle, a .308 will suit me for longer as I am now more into shooting targets further than originally thought, will also help accuracy over that distance, and its just an awesome looking rifle lol. From what i read on reviews/forums, all were very positive.

Nice rifle, looks great and sure you will get years of enjoyment from it. But, if you gonna hunt proper in the future you gonna need want something else ;)

This made me LOL!!!

Thanks guys, definitely going to get a good quality cleaning kit. I live in the tropics, would you recommend one of those electronic dehumidifiers for my safe as well???

Definitely recommend a dehumidifier of some sorts, but your choice as to what sort.
A lot of people use the "crystals" that you can rejuvenate by putting in the oven. :thumbsup:

And while your about it,,,,,,,,, get yourself a 20 gun safe. :lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 09 Feb 2016, 10:32 am

Ignore the smilies, getting a 20 gun safe is good advice
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Dogga85 » 09 Feb 2016, 10:49 am

hahaha. I just bought a 5 gun safe the other day, on purpose.... :P I need to forcibly restrict my spending over the next few years, so i'm hoping this rifle will satisfy my for a while.... :) Plus I don't have much room at the moment
Dogga85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Norton » 15 Feb 2016, 9:46 am

Dogga85 wrote:I am now getting a WEATHERBY VANGUARD S2 STAINLESS SYNTHETIC .223

That's a good first choice mate.

Low recoil so you won't develop a flight. Good for punching paper, much better range than the .22lr and still cheapish to shoot.

Will let you hunt a bit more too.

Enjoy :thumbsup:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Dogga85 » 15 Feb 2016, 1:14 pm

Thanks I'm really excited. Although, I'm not really sure where to start looking when it comes to scopes :s
Dogga85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 15 Feb 2016, 2:14 pm

Dogga85 wrote:Thanks I'm really excited. Although, I'm not really sure where to start looking when it comes to scopes :s

Choosing a scope can be a nightmare.For a bit of a read, go to "Scopes, sights and optics", half way down the forum. Find the topic, "Why Is It So??", go to page 2 and look for the post by "happyhunter" 14 Feb 2016 9:29 pm. There are responses after that too.

You might want to take it in small doses. Speaking for myself, a quick scan does not really do it.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Rocker » 29 Feb 2016, 12:09 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Definitely recommend a dehumidifier of some sorts, but your choice as to what sort.
A lot of people use the "crystals" that you can rejuvenate by putting in the oven. :thumbsup:

Crystals :thumbsup:

Whenever I get a few new ones in whatever I buy I just chuck the old out, put the new in.

Has worked for me.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 29 Feb 2016, 12:24 pm

I bought a 1kg bag of the silicone moisture absorbing crystals have had it for over 12 months and only just dried it out for the first time
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Modena » 29 Feb 2016, 7:38 pm

where do you purchase these crystals?
Modena
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 01 Mar 2016, 4:16 am

I get mine off eBay but I think a few blokes here may have found them at the supermarket.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 01 Mar 2016, 6:08 am

ebay silica gel. I got 5kg bucket of the stuff for making waterglass.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by TheDude » 01 Mar 2016, 7:53 am

I get ones like http://www.bunnings.com.au/damprid-300g ... r_p4470046 but from the local cheapie shop for $2 each. They last 2-3 months depending on time of year/amount of rain we get.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Seconds » 03 Mar 2016, 9:51 am

Die Judicii wrote:A lot of people use the "crystals" that you can rejuvenate by putting in the oven. :thumbsup:

Hmm, is that kosher with fumes or whatever from the beads and following them with food? :unknown:
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 03 Mar 2016, 11:56 am

The only fumes that should be coming out of the beads is water vapour you find the beads sometimes packaged with food in a little sachet that says do not eat on it.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Seconds » 14 Apr 2016, 10:46 am

Yeah cool, wasn't suggesting there was any harm (my first comment could be interpreted like that) was just wondering if it was ok to do so.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Dogga85 » 08 May 2016, 3:39 pm

Just wanted to give an update. So I got my Weatherby SS .223 with Vortex Viper 4-16x44 scope, I finally got it out the range yesterday and zero'd in the scope. You can see from my photos the stages of 3 shots where I was adjusting the scope, love the groupings this gun shoots!
Attachments
20160507_085553.jpg
20160507_085553.jpg (237.46 KiB) Viewed 1605 times
20160507_091057.jpg
20160507_091057.jpg (214.07 KiB) Viewed 1605 times
Dogga85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 10 May 2016, 4:02 pm

Good shooting..
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by scotty87 » 10 May 2016, 5:08 pm

congrats on your purchase, those weatherby's were rumored to shoot pretty well, its good to see they live up to the expectations.

now you just need to get bit by the reloading bug.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles