Brno 1957 mod2 vs 1990 mod2 vs mod5 vs slazenger 12

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Brno 1957 mod2 vs 1990 mod2 vs mod5 vs slazenger 12

Post by sandgroperbill » 23 Jan 2016, 4:28 pm

Hey, guys,

So, I'm still looking at .22lrs, and I'm thinking of going used as I want something with pretty wood without needing to take out a second mortgage.

I'm waiting to get some more photos in the next couple of days, but currently have a selection.

Most expensive is a Brno mod 2 built 1957 with an original meopta scope attached, all original, excellent condition from a collector, but the timber is a little plain. At $1200, it is at the premium end of the range, but it is almost 60 years old, without having many rounds put through.

There is also a Brno mod built in 1990, so much younger, also with very few rounds put through it. The sights have been removed when fitting the scope (old tasco), but the original sights are still with the rifle and will be included so can be clipped back on when I remove the scope (I want iron sights on my .22).This rifle is in excellent condition, and the timber is very purdy (tiger stripe lacquered and chequered) and from what I have seen, is the very definition of a safe queen.

The same dealer also has just had a Brno mod5, which I am interested in simply as its a model 5. The dealer isn't sure if it's in original condition and hasn't had the time to inspect it properly, yet. If it,s in original unmolested condition and a reasonable price, I would probably lean towards the model 5.

Finally, there's the slazenger model 12. I've found one in good condition with nice timber, and this appeals to me from the historic side, there are already several lithgows in the family, including a 1b, and a model 12 would be a nice addition.

So, I have some decisions to make in the next couple of days. If anyone has any opinions and experiences with these that might help me to decide, I,d be grateful for them.

At this point I'm probably leaning towards the 1990 mod 2 (gorgeous timber) or mod 5, maybe with a slazenger model 12 on top(they're not overly expensive)

Thanks,

Bill
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: Brno 1957 mod2 vs 1990 mod2 vs mod5 vs slazenger 12

Post by happyhunter » 23 Jan 2016, 4:38 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 16 Feb 2017, 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by No1Mk3 » 23 Jan 2016, 4:40 pm

G'day Bill,
You couldn't go wrong with any of them. The early Model 2's are very well made, accurate and reliable. Probably better finished than the later ones, but I own a 2-E which is a joy to shoot. The Model 5's were originally thrown together from parts bins, combining Model 1 and Model 2 parts to fulfill a military contract, but it was found they were very reliable and accurate so were released to the civilian market, now quite collectible for Brno fans and CSD shooters for Training Rifle comps. The Lithgow 12 used leftover 303 barrel blanks, so became in effect a "heavy barrell" 22, and as such very accurate. I couldn't seperate my Model 12 from my Brno 2-E for shooting. You have other Lithgow 22's? Complete the set and buy the Model 12. (Support your local gundealer and buy ALL OF THEM!) Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 23 Jan 2016, 4:49 pm

The 1990 2-e timber is really something... tiger stripe too. The model 5 really intrigues me, mainly because you never seem to see them, and I get a feeling I would kick myself in years to come if I let it pass, as long as it's not molested and in original condition. I could see it becoming the most collectible in years to come based on not being nearly as common.

The slazengers are really reliable, quality workhorses, and really appeal to me. decisions decisions...

I think I might let the 1957 pass, it's just a bit plain to be asking $1200..
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bills Shed » 23 Jan 2016, 5:49 pm

I too have the 2E and it shoot a treat. Any of them will do the job but at the end of the day you will have to want to use it. It is no good having nice timber and not wanting to take it out on a wet day. The rifle needs to work when you do. If you do not want to take it out to chase rabbits / foxes because it looks to good and might get damaged or wet, do not buy it. Safe queens have no place on a property, they are a tool. If they work well and look good and you do not mind taking it out and getting wet all the good, but do not buy a rifle just on looks, it must do the job or you will end up leaving it in the safe. Decide on what this rifles " job " is and purchase accordingly.
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by sandgroperbill » 23 Jan 2016, 5:57 pm

Not so much of an issue. I already have synthetics for the tools. This will be used, but I also want something pretty and collectible. It'll still get used, though. This will mainly be used on bunnies.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2016, 6:34 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:The 1990 2-e timber is really something... tiger stripe too. The model 5 really intrigues me, mainly because you never seem to see them, and I get a feeling I would kick myself in years to come if I let it pass, as long as it's not molested and in original condition. I could see it becoming the most collectible in years to come based on not being nearly as common.

The slazengers are really reliable, quality workhorses, and really appeal to me. decisions decisions...

I think I might let the 1957 pass, it's just a bit plain to be asking $1200..

This is my Mod 2E - 1988 model from memory I would never sell it, we've been together since I was in my teens.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 23 Jan 2016, 6:40 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 16 Feb 2017, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2016, 6:56 pm

happyhunter wrote:Nice timber on that one Bigfella. Mines got the beechwood and straighter american style stock and doesn't look as pretty.

Cheers mate, yeah this one's got the Hog Back stock (European style) not sure if that's what the E is all about or not, she was stained this bloody awful dark brown colour when I first got it new, after a while I though I might just have a wee peak under and see what the timber was like (I could always stain it again if I didn't like what I saw but as soon as I saw what was lurking underneath it didn't take long to make it look smick, the Ol 4x Jap Tasco has been on it from day 1 too and is as good as any quality glass I've ever looked through, I wouldn't swap it out either. :D

My Daughter loves it too, she say it's hers but I sorted that out quickly and got her a Savage Mk2 like her Big Sisters :lol:

The rabbit head at 80m was coping a hammering from her :D
Last edited by bigfellascott on 24 Jan 2016, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 23 Jan 2016, 11:59 pm

Nice looking rifle there, big fella. I should hopefully get some better photos of the mod 2, mod 5 and slazengers in the next couple of days. I'm hoping the timber will have a nice, pronounced tiger stripe patterning. If this is the case, I'm thinking it's sold. Then again, if it looks anywhere near as nice as yours, I'm thinking it,s sold. I can't wait to see the mod 5, though...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 24 Jan 2016, 12:17 am

My CZ455 American, sporter, is a fine 22. Although the 455 has the ability to allow the owner to change between 22LR and 22WRM, mine is 22LR only. The wood on this 5 year old rifle is rather plain straight grained walnut but she shoots quite accurately, enough to make me want a better trigger. If the wood is that important to you then get the most figured you can. Otherwise I think you'd find the cheaper guns as much fun in the field.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 24 Jan 2016, 12:30 am

That's exactly it. I already have the tools, I want the .22 to be something a bit special as in looks/history/both. Seriously considering either the begot 2-e or 5 plus a slazenger 12. The idea is to license them at the same time my Adler comes in and save on fees.

I have a soft spot for slazengers, so I may scope one and have the other as iron sights (thinking the slazenger can wear the scope). I have the fortune of still being able to use iron sights and being quite accurate with them. I'll eventually reach a point where everything will need glass, though.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Jan 2016, 6:30 am

GLS_1956 wrote:My CZ455 American, sporter, is a fine 22. Although the 455 has the ability to allow the owner to change between 22LR and 22WRM, mine is 22LR only. The wood on this 5 year old rifle is rather plain straight grained walnut but she shoots quite accurately, enough to make me want a better trigger. If the wood is that important to you then get the most figured you can. Otherwise I think you'd find the cheaper guns as much fun in the field.

Put a Lowey Trigger Kit in it - I did my Brno and it's beautiful now (was quite a heavy trigger from the factory). these are quick and easy to do too :thumbsup:

http://www.loweyproducts.com/products.html
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 24 Jan 2016, 1:47 pm

For what its worth, in selective order......lol........ ALL OF THEM.... but in all seriousness,,,

The early Model 2 Bruno is the pick of the crop, followed by the Model 5, and its a close call on these.
Then the later Model 2, especially if its got nice timber
Then the Lithgow, but if you have other Lithgow's complete the set....

In my mind all of them should be considered, but pice will play a big part in the decision making. eg, the early model 2 and model 5, if they are good ones can be worth up to a grand each, if the later model 2 is cheap enough perhaps thought can go into buying that and the Lithgow,,,,,lets face it you can never have to many, and there is always room for one more.

COLLECTOR 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 24 Jan 2016, 2:18 pm

The early model 2 has an asking price of $1200, even with an old meopta 4x that was purchased new with the rifle, it's at the premium end of the price spectrum. The model 5 is the way I'm leaning, but depends on condition. I'm thinking it'll be the model 5 if in good condition or the later model 2, plus the slazenger model 12. I can't wait to get the model 5 pics in my email inbox...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Jan 2016, 2:31 pm

There's a Mod1 with 3x Meopta on AHN at the moment, also comes with Parker Hale Peep Sight - he's asking $950 posted.

http://www.australianhunting.net/index. ... c=196796.0
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 26 Jan 2016, 12:26 am

Soooo... I've decided I want the slazenger model 12, I'm gonna send the guy a message first thing letting him know it's sold (freight, storage, servicability ans such is gonna cost substantially more than the rifle). I'll be sending the other guy an email asking again for the photos of the model 2 and 5 as still haven't received them yet.

It'll be interesting to see how I go with li sensing when it comes to licensing two rifles of the same calibre...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Jan 2016, 5:08 am

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 26 Jan 2016, 7:28 am

I've had 'more than a few rimfires' and the very best of them all, is my Lithgow Model 12 !

Extremely accurate; great action; lots of sentimentality as well, given that it was my grandfather's rifle.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 26 Jan 2016, 10:26 am

Sorry, big fella, I'm not a member of that forum. Is it worth registering?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bluerob » 26 Jan 2016, 12:35 pm

I've got a Model 1.

One of the old blokes (a wealth of knowledge) tells me that when the Russians moved into Czech, the quality dropped.

I guess going from happy factory worker to Comrade factory worker had its affects on the build quality.

On a benchrest, my model 1 shoots as well as an Anschutz BR rifle I've got. Mad, but, true.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Jan 2016, 12:48 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Sorry, big fella, I'm not a member of that forum. Is it worth registering?

Yeah it's a good forum with a lot of knowledgeable people and very active too. That Mod 2 looks in pretty mint condition too (I'd buy it if I had the $$ no worries at all) :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 27 Jan 2016, 6:36 pm

Id go the later model 2 and the Lithgow as well....The early model 2 sounds to good to take out and id say came out of a collection, the model 5 will probably be the same. The rear sight on the Model 5 will be a fixed/2 folding type, same as the model 1. The later model 2 mentioned will have the conventional ramp adjustable which makes for better accuracy in my books.

COLLECTOR 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles