Gun Dodgy fixes.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Gun Dodgy fixes.

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Jan 2016, 3:41 am

Oldbloke wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I use a mouse pad for a recoil pad on one of my shotties :lol:

Farkn top idea. Will remember that. :lol:

:lol: nothing but the best for my ol Boito :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Title_II » 31 Jan 2016, 5:30 am

Here's a dodgy one alright from the USA:

:)

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=149912

sandgroperbill wrote:I used to carry a pocket knife on my belt at school, as did a lot of the boys from farming families.
Back then, knives were still considered tools. Nowadays they represent a threat to all human civilisation.
Seriously, could you imagine if a boy rocked up to school with a pocket knife on his belt these days? They would lock down the school, call the press, call the police (most likely in that order) and launch a manhunt.
But I digress...

In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (USA) they actually have a law that possession of a knife in public is a minimum 90 days in jail. Yet you can carry a gun, of course Image

Doesn't seem to be enforced much, people carry knives obviously with the clip sticking out of their pockets.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 31 Jan 2016, 8:20 am

It's a dodgy epidemic :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by MalleeFarmer » 31 Jan 2016, 10:45 am

Mouse pad as a recoil pad! Awesome idea the old winny 1300 with the nice solid plastic butt protector would do well to have a mouse pad recoil pad. After 40 odd shots the shoulder starts to hurt.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 31 Jan 2016, 8:01 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 17 Feb 2017, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Supaduke » 31 Jan 2016, 8:43 pm

Title_II wrote:Here's a dodgy one alright from the USA:

:)

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=149912

sandgroperbill wrote:I used to carry a pocket knife on my belt at school, as did a lot of the boys from farming families.
Back then, knives were still considered tools. Nowadays they represent a threat to all human civilisation.
Seriously, could you imagine if a boy rocked up to school with a pocket knife on his belt these days? They would lock down the school, call the press, call the police (most likely in that order) and launch a manhunt.
But I digress...

In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (USA) they actually have a law that possession of a knife in public is a minimum 90 days in jail. Yet you can carry a gun, of course Image

Doesn't seem to be enforced much, people carry knives obviously with the clip sticking out of their pockets.

Bedded, free floating barrel, custom chassis, bet it shoots like a laser
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Seik » 15 Feb 2016, 9:57 am

bentaz wrote:And no not a rifled shotgun

I didn't realise there was such a thing.

Why the hell wouldn't you just use a rifle instead of get a gun that only fires slugs :unknown:
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Feb 2016, 10:11 am

Bedded, free floating barrel, custom chassis, bet it shoots like a laser

You coult take an inadvertently out of focus picture, add a few more tactical descriptions;

Skeletonised tactical stock
pistol grip
tactical bipod
picatinny rail

..... and it would sell in 2 minutes flat on abused guns :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by wayward » 22 Feb 2016, 1:59 pm

It's be fun to fire once but I'm siding with Seik on this one :lol:
wayward
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Rocker » 01 Mar 2016, 2:39 pm

Cooked up by some shotgun fanboy who couldn't admit a rifle would be better :lol:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 01 Mar 2016, 4:59 pm

Rocker wrote:Cooked up by some shotgun fanboy who couldn't admit a rifle would be better :lol:

I'm expecting something from bentaz on this one! :lol: :lol:
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 01 Mar 2016, 6:14 pm

Seik wrote:
bentaz wrote:And no not a rifled shotgun

I didn't realise there was such a thing.

Why the hell wouldn't you just use a rifle instead of get a gun that only fires slugs :unknown:

Some States or counties here in the US only allow the use of shotguns for deer hunting. So industry developed the rifled shotgun barrel.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 01 Mar 2016, 11:54 pm

lol Ben... nothing if not reliable
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 02 Mar 2016, 7:35 am

GLS_1956 wrote:Some States or counties here in the US only allow the use of shotguns for deer hunting. So industry developed the rifled shotgun barrel.

And some of our restrictions are stupid; why in hell would you legislate the use of only a shotgun for deer???

Madness.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 02 Mar 2016, 7:50 am

Gwion wrote:
GLS_1956 wrote:Some States or counties here in the US only allow the use of shotguns for deer hunting. So industry developed the rifled shotgun barrel.

And some of our restrictions are stupid; why in hell would you legislate the use of only a shotgun for deer???

Madness.

Perhaps perceived safety issues, reduced range etc of the projectiles??

In Vic we recently (few years ago) legalised shotguns for deer, but only solids, min245gr, min 20g and rifle sights or scopes only (no beads)... At the same time the case length minimum of 2inches was removed ..... which permits Sambar hunting with a 310Cadet, (but not a 6.5x55SE)....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 02 Mar 2016, 10:56 am

Gwion wrote:

Madness.

Well, depending on the state, we can hunt a couple hundred yards from a suburb, apartments, a school, or a business district. I doubt you guys are allowed to hunt within range of putting a nice 5 shot group through a window of your capitol building.

That being said, it is mostly hysteria. It's less about actual safety and more about paranoid people in areas with "high population density."

Not allowing rifles for hunting in the US is very very very very rare. I live on the East Coast, and came from Jersey (barf), and the whole state is like that. Then again, the whole state is anti-gun. Now I live in neighboring Pennsylvania, the most pro-gun state in America. But it is still East Coast, and there are a few areas around our largest eastern city (Philadelphia) that require shotgun only in some areas. This is a very small percentage of the state.

Most states don't have these dumb rules at all. But a handful do, in specific areas. Unlike Jersey which is mostly state-wide.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 02 Mar 2016, 11:03 am

Hey Jerseyboy,
When shotties are prescribed, is it slug only or shot only or either?? :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 02 Mar 2016, 11:24 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Hey Jerseyboy,
When shotties are prescribed, is it slug only or shot only or either?? :thumbsup:

I think it's either. I don't live in Jersey anymore (*spit*) and I am not a hunter.

BTW, shotgun slug is the second choice defensive weapon for Kodiak, brown, and grizzly defense in Alaska and north/western Canada. Being cheaper and easier to use than magnum rifles. I've shot them at stuff for fun, basically, since I was a kid. They will F up whatever you got, and they will penetrate a lot more where SD and energy are less important than momentum. Such as shooting through cars or houses They are fearsome weapons. I don't use them for defense, though, and don't think I know others that do.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 02 Mar 2016, 11:35 am

Title_II wrote:
Gwion wrote:

Madness.

Well, depending on the state, we can hunt a couple hundred yards from a suburb, apartments, a school, or a business district. I doubt you guys are allowed to hunt within range of putting a nice 5 shot group through a window of your capitol building.

Actually, the ruling is "not closer than 250m from the nearest dwelling, with out permission of the owner/occupant" (slight paraphrase).

Technically, you can shoot where ever you want; as long as you have permission of the owner/occupant of every dwelling/place of business within 250m radius........ not likely. Oh... and not on or across roads.

Strictly speaking, if you live on the green edge of a city or town and have clear lines of fire, aren't on or shooting across a road and have permission from owners/occupants of any nearby dwelling, you can shoot quite happily.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 02 Mar 2016, 1:23 pm

The 250m applies to target shooting g man . ... but given that our law enforcers have taken it upon themselves to law interpret.....theyd apply it to every instance where one discharged an arm....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 02 Mar 2016, 1:39 pm

Gwion wrote:
Title_II wrote:
Gwion wrote:

Madness.

Actually, the ruling is "not closer than 250m from the nearest dwelling, with out permission of the owner/occupant" (slight paraphrase).

Technically, you can shoot where ever you want; as long as you have permission of the owner/occupant of every dwelling/place of business within 250m radius........ not likely. Oh... and not on or across roads.

Strictly speaking, if you live on the green edge of a city or town and have clear lines of fire, aren't on or shooting across a road and have permission from owners/occupants of any nearby dwelling, you can shoot quite happily.

That's almost exactly the same as my Commonwealth. I find that very interesting. But they are HUNTING regulations, there are no Commonwealth laws on shooting.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 02 Mar 2016, 1:45 pm

In Tas, the 250m is applied to shooting.

One of my bottom paddocks is within the 250m of my neighbour, so technically i need permission from him to shoot in my paddock.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 02 Mar 2016, 1:53 pm

FIREARMS ACT 1996 - SECT 113

113. Recklessly discharging firearm
(1) . . . . . . . .

(2) A person must not discharge a firearm within 250 metres of a dwelling house except

(a) on an approved range; or

(b) with the consent of the occupier of the dwelling house.

Penalty:

Fine not exceeding 50 penalty units or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years, or both.
(3) However, subsection (2) does not apply to a police officer or animal welfare officer who, acting responsibly in the course of his or her employment, discharges a tranquiliser gun or other firearm within 250 metres of a dwelling house in order to –

(a) avert or control a threat to life or property posed by a dangerous, injured, diseased or potentially diseased animal; or

(b) end the suffering of an injured or diseased animal.

(4) In this section –

animal welfare officer means a person referred to in any paragraph of section 42.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 02 Mar 2016, 1:56 pm

Anyway... back to Bentaz and his rifled shotgun!

Here piggy, piggy.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Seik » 10 Mar 2016, 10:57 am

Now it makes sense.

Non-ideal solution required to get around a stupid and non-thought out law.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 10 Mar 2016, 6:16 pm

Gwion wrote:

Madness.

Because in a country of 300 million people and a lot of deer hunters with limited hunting space things get congested in the field and the shotgun rule is for locations where the distance a rifle bullet travels is considered dangerous. It's a smart rule that lets people hunt safely in populous areas.

As for that 250 meter rule you mentioned, Where I'm from it only applies to target shooting on your own land. If it's hunting or pest control the distance rule doesn't apply.

As for madness, most shots at deer are well within shotgun range. Allowing shotguns is long overdue.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 10 Mar 2016, 10:09 pm

Allowing, yes; but only? I get what you are saying but still don't seem right to me.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 11 Mar 2016, 8:24 am

Gwion wrote:Allowing, yes; but only? I get what you are saying but still don't seem right to me.

You know those llitte warnings printed on the ammo box, 'Dangerous for XXX kilometers'.. they are there for a reason. If it doesn't seem right to you maybe one of your range buddies can explain to you why in a limited hunting space close to populated areas shotguns are safer than rifles. It's right because otherwise their would be no hunting in those areas, you know, common sense and all that.

As for shotgun being legal for deer in Victoria, that's a fairly recent development. maybe you are confusing the two.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 11 Mar 2016, 8:47 am

I told you i get it.

If somewhere was that close to populated areas and had that many punters running around that i had to restrict myself to a shotgun for deer, i'd find somewhere else to hunt. If it was as you say, then the areas would a/ suffer from excessive hunting pressure and so like not have much on offer and b/ have so many punter running around competing for limited game, it just would not float my boat.

Hence, it just don't seem right.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Aussier » 11 Mar 2016, 10:49 am

Seik wrote:Now it makes sense.

I think in some states too (Michigan?) they have a rifle hunting season and shotgun season, so guys get both to keep going all year round.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles