Is there a tangible difference

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Is there a tangible difference

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Feb 2016, 2:13 pm

After hearing many accounts of how Howa 1500s are not fussy with what they are fed, as in very good accuracy regardless of brands etc,,,
I am prompted to ask what it is that they have, that other brands may not ?

Is it a particular manufacturing process, or the quality/standard of the factory machinery itself ?

Or is there other factor/s that come in to play ?

A fact that I certainly have proven with mine, that if I change brands,,, after the initial re-zeroing, I still get good consistent accuracy regardless of brand ammo.

Any qualified thoughts out there ???????

:unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Is there a tangible difference

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Feb 2016, 2:22 pm

Then factor in that some rifles of the same brand and model like different loads to each other..

My best guess would be manufacturing consistency, the barrels line up with the rifling and chamber being consistent and concentric, mahining methods and tolerances, smooth finishes, etc. Also, lets not forget the importance of a nice uniform crown.

No doubt others here would have more expertise than I could offer on the subject, as I said, this is best guess. If others do know more, I'm definitely interested as well
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Feb 2016, 2:26 pm

Or perhaps ammunition companies have agreements with firearms manufacturers to keep the status quo so we have to experiment to find what our rifles like, and buy lots of different ammo in the process :) :sarcasm:
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by happyhunter » 06 Feb 2016, 5:00 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 17 Feb 2017, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by p3seven » 06 Feb 2016, 6:46 pm

I find with my Howa 243 W it, is more susceptible to changes in bullet weight. It is accurate with 95- 100 grain Federal and Hornady Soft points. The light weight Hornady 58 grain varmint load shoots all over the place. I did start with Remington 80 grain soft points but found 1 in 5 tended to be up to 3 inch out of group at 100 m (wasn't due to flinching) so changed brands.

I did read somewhere on the web that Howa recommended for the 243 W for medium game use of 95 grain and varmint loads 75 grain. Of course I can't find the reference now.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 06 Feb 2016, 7:11 pm

my 223 was a dog with factory ammo, we are talking 2/3 moa at a 100 :evil: all but Hornady super performance, costly but it brought the size down to .5 at a 100 which i was very happy with :D ,,,,,,, and then i started handloading :oops: and while i got down to moa the finer group size still eludes me :( but im not changing powder (stubborn) for a half a moa that critters wont know or care about , mine may be a friday arvo gun :unknown: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 06 Feb 2016, 8:01 pm

That's a good question. my Howa .308 isn't fussy either it shoots most brands and weights Moa or better.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Feb 2016, 10:43 pm

I remember when I first got my CMC Mountaineer (Howa) 30odd yrs ago, I tried Sako ammo and it was bloody awful, I think I tried a few diff brands too and much the same results, that's what got me into reloading and I haven't looked back since, that bloody things shoots very well with hand rolled ammo I put a few 5 shot groups that would fit into a 1/4 of a 1cent piece - not bad for a $400 rifle.

All the latest versions have been good shooters with factory ammo (not that I bothered with that much as I just used the cases to start reloading for em) but that 204 certainly shot well with the two types of factory ammo, both well inside a 5c piece for 5 shots (50m) and shot real well at 100m too (10c piece group)

The first 3 shots that went through the 22.250 were touching from memory (100m) which was a real surprise as it was Rem Factory crap LOL

I found fiddling around with the tension on the front action screw made a big diff to how they shot (I only do em up fairly lightly) I just grip the screwdriver with the 3 fingers (not grip it with a fist type thing like some do and screw the living bejesus out of it. LOL
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 07 Feb 2016, 12:11 pm

I have noticed the chamber in my Howa 223rem was quite tight, that combined with tight Japanese manufacturing tolerances may be why the seem to shoot well. Mind you, mine was only just on MOA at 100m with rem & fed factory ammo.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Strikey » 07 Feb 2016, 12:35 pm

I am not so sure its the rifle but the quality of factory ammunition, at my local range I have seen Rem 700s, Sako's & Tikka's, Savage and the Weatherby/Howa's shoot most factory ammo very reasonable with some being exceptional with their preferred ammo. Maybe production tolerances with rifle manufacturers has improved with better machinery and with ammo being produced with better quality components perhaps that is why we see some good results that are hard to match with reloading ;)
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by p3seven » 07 Feb 2016, 5:03 pm

Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ariat » 11 Feb 2016, 10:44 am

Die Judicii wrote:Any qualified thoughts out there ???????

Yes! I have lots of.... Oh, sorry, qualified.... I'm out :lol:
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 11 Feb 2016, 11:05 am

I think Japanese, like northern europeans, have a fairly particular mind set when it comes to quality control. That may also be a contributing factor; consistent quality standards = consistent accuracy, perhaps.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Feb 2016, 11:18 am

Gwion wrote:I think Japanese, like northern europeans, have a fairly particular mind set when it comes to quality control. That may also be a contributing factor; consistent quality standards = consistent accuracy, perhaps.

Methinks you've hit the main "nail" squarely on the head.
Sigh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Oh for the old world charms and quality that used to exist in everything. :violin:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Elek » 17 Feb 2016, 1:39 pm

Cheap and disposable, that's today's motto.
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by zobster » 26 Feb 2016, 3:45 pm

I've got 2 Howa, 223 and 308, my 308 I've been feeding her Remington corelokt initially and when my budget tightened, switched her to a diet of ppu, never missed a beat!

On the other hand, my 223 had a steady diet of ppu 223 but stupid me decided to try some fiocchi. The fiocchi ran well, but when I switch her back to ppu, the empty brass kept getting stuck her the chamber. So I switched over to feeding her OSA 223 and the stuck brass issue resolved by itself.

So what I'm trying to say is that, it is really down to individual guns. And unless I run out of ppu308, I'm not feeding her anything else!
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by chacka » 03 Mar 2016, 2:33 pm

Chamber didn't just need a clean? Dirty ammo?
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 03 Mar 2016, 3:13 pm

Elek wrote:Cheap and disposable, that's today's motto.

Got that right.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Khan » 11 Mar 2016, 11:08 am

People keep buying the same crap over and over instead of spending more for something that'll last so its obviously working for some businesses.

Lower the expectation and cash in.
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles