Remington XCR 257 Weatherby.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Remington XCR 257 Weatherby.

Post by Baz460 » 21 Feb 2016, 3:04 pm

Hi, I recently bought a Remington XCR 700 257 Weatherby mag, and cannot get the thing to group.
Has any one out there had similar problems with there Rem 700's?
When I got the rifle the barrel was not floating, and was touching at the for end, so a gunsmith floated it for me, and it still won't shoot any better than a 5 inch group at a 100. I don't fire any more than 3 rounds at a time, as the 257 gets very hot, but still no accuracy, and have tried 4 different loads, 4 different shooters, and still no good. So after 80 rounds and a lot of time travelling to shoot it, I decided to contact the dealer I bought it off, and I must say he was very helpful, and said send it back and he will get his gunsmith to shoot it, and see what the problem is, and If he can't fix it he will give me another rifle, so we will wait and see the outcome. I sent the rifle back with my 8x56 Kahles on it so he has the whole deal, and I just said, that a new rifle or my rifle, all I want is for the thing to be tested before he sends it back, and by saying that it should shoot 1 inch at a 100 or it is a waist of time, as I bought the 257 to shoot out to 400 yds, and the way it is now you wouldn't hit the proverbial barn door at 200.
Will keep you posted.

Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Remington XCR 257 Weatherby.

Post by Gwion » 21 Feb 2016, 3:13 pm

You're going to hate me saying this but.....

Was the scope well fitted???

What do the groups look like? Stringing horizontal or vertical? Random spray? Double groups?

Anyway your dealer and his smith should get it sorted for you. Good luck.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Baz460 » 21 Feb 2016, 3:28 pm

Just got the scope back from Austria and fitted by a gunsmith who I have used for many years, checked all the time, and refitted.
The groups are scattered. When I first got it, I was using 87 grn hp's, and thought they were going a bit hard, so tried some 100 grn hp's, and 3 different loads, the last load being 64 grns 2209 with Barnes 100 TTSX.
Even if you didn't touch the scope, it will still spray them.

Cheers, Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 21 Feb 2016, 4:01 pm

No idea... to many possibilities to choose from. Good luck and i hope your dealer can sort it for you quick smart!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 21 Feb 2016, 4:14 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 27 Feb 2017, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Strikey » 21 Feb 2016, 5:02 pm

I know velocity is supposed to be the answer to everything but without accuracy there is no velocity :wtf: so with a 257 Weatherby I would not bother with projectiles less than 100 grns, it would probably perform a lot better at extended ranges with projie weights in the 115=120grn range. Also I thought the Weatherby magnums preferred a bit more freebore, has your smith or the dealer checked for this? ;)
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Feb 2016, 7:17 pm

Is it a new or used rifle Baz?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Baz460 » 21 Feb 2016, 7:28 pm

New one mate.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 22 Feb 2016, 8:11 am

Baz460 wrote:New one mate.

Anew one and it's spraying them? :shock: That's terrible. Makes me wonder if the crown is crook.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 22 Feb 2016, 1:59 pm

Check the bedding screws and bedding,,,,and torque the screws when your finished....had one in 308 and it shot like a shotgun till everything was torqued down properly.....failing that check the barrel and the crown....

Good luck.

COLLECTOR 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 22 Feb 2016, 2:10 pm

If the gunsmith comes up with a solution, make sure you find out what it was.

Would be shocking if it was just "torqued action screws to 45inch/lb" and then you took it apart to clean it and didn't know to torque the screws back to 45"/lb, so it starts spraying everywhere again.

Honestly, with the groups you are describing, sounds like there will be a combination of issues: like, bedding, crown, bolt lugs not contacting evenly in lock, bullet lead too long/short.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 22 Feb 2016, 8:25 pm

Below are a few loads I use in my Mk.V 257 Weatherby that group .25 MOA fairly consistently if I'm doing my part.

1. 75Gr Hornady HP #2520 CCI250 Primer and 73Gr of AR2213SC for 3661fps
2. 100Gr Sierra HPBT #1628 CCI250 Primer and 68Gr of AR2213SC for 3328fps (This is my favourite load and essentially all I load now).
3. 117Gr Hornady BTSP #2552 CCI250 Primer and 62Gr of AR2213SC for 3008fps

I use a Hornady case and OAL gauge to workout where the projectiles touch the lands and the 3 loads above all like .001" off the lands.

Like any load data, do your own investigations and due diligence rather then blindly follow what's been posted. The above are the best 3 of 9 loads tested as I found the magic load on the first attempts. His big brother the Mk V. 300Wby Mag took a lot more effort to find the .25moa group I chase or hunting rifles.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Homer » 23 Feb 2016, 6:56 am

G'Day Fella's,

Baz460, in my experience, you need to at least float the barrel on Remington's!
If the rifle then shows promise, if you feel the need, then get it epoxy and pillar bedded!!!

Also, just because you got the scope back from a service, doesn't mean it is reliable, just the opposite until it is proven!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Feb 2016, 8:58 am

Homer wrote:Also, just because you got the scope back from a service, doesn't mean it is reliable, just the opposite until it is proven!
Homer

Agree. One of my Ex target scopes only used to last 2 months between services :x
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Baz460 » 24 Feb 2016, 6:12 pm

Thanks for all the input gents. Have had the barrel floated, trigger done, different loads, scope, different shooters, and still sprays them. This is the second one I have had as the first 'New Rifle" had corrosion in the bore, so they sent me another. I am....... 'Not...... Having much fun at the moment as I sold my faithful Ruger 25/06 that would group 3 inches at 300.
The dealer has had the rifle for a week now and will give him a call on Friday.

Cheers, Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by huccl » 01 Mar 2016, 1:19 pm

Keep us posted mate.
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baz460 » 13 Mar 2016, 7:50 am

Problem solved, there was a massive copper fouling of the bore.
Even though I put a rod through it every 15 shots or so and used a good bore solvent on it once, it was not enough to clean the copper out of the bore.
So the guys at the Barn in Oakey QLD, cleaned the bore, bedded the action, I had already floated the barrel, and it now will put 3 shots touching at 100 yds.
I must admit I am extremely embarrassed about the cleaning issue as I have been hunting for 55 years, but as they say you are never to old to learn, and learn I have.
Colin the owner of the Barn, was extremely helpful, and just said that they would fix it, and and when he told me of the problem, I offered my sincere apologies for what was obviously my mistake.
Colin also worked out a load for me with some new projectiles, as the ones I were using are notorious for fouling. so get it back next week and look out dogs and pigs.
Thanks for all you input.
Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Redwood » 16 Mar 2016, 9:57 am

At least it's sorted :)

So what do you put 'massive' copper fouling down to?

Bad batch of solvent or something, or just not giving it enough oomph when you cleaned it?
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 Mar 2016, 11:07 am

Redwood wrote:
So what do you put 'massive' copper fouling down to?

If ever there was a gun that would melt copper, that thing would be it :twisted: :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Baz460 » 16 Mar 2016, 7:21 pm

Apparently it was the Barnes projectiles, the guys at the Barn said they are notorious for copper fouling, and pushing them out at around 3800 fps, and me not being thorough enough with my cleaning, even though I put the rod through every 20 shots I only anti fouled it twice, and I have fired around 80 rounds.
So lesson learnt.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Monty » 05 Apr 2016, 2:12 pm

The TSX does indeed have a reputation for bad fouling.

Interestingly competitors like the Nosler E-Tip and Hornady GMX don't suffer from this.

Maybe Barnes could do with tweaking their alloy recipe.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles