A little range time in USA

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

A little range time in USA

Post by GLS_1956 » 22 Feb 2016, 9:03 pm

Brother and I headed out to the range for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon. It is the end time of winter here in Oklahoma and the day was overcast, mild winds and the temp was in the 50Fs. We took a menagerie with us, some serious some whimsical, all fun. Have you noticed that fun rhymes with gun? There is a reason for that :D

One of the guns was an O/U derringer in .410/.45Colt with about a 4 1/2 inch long barrel. Very loud but surprisingly controllable, but let's just say it is a close range gun, with shotshells you get a nice bit of flame, about as long as the barrel is, more from a 3 inch shell than the 2 1/2 shells. The 45 Colt was as expected stiff but reasonable. Good gun for snakes two legged or legless. 38 snubbies were also there and got run through their courses with expected results, but I may have to send my Taurus in for a check up. I had a couple of hitches, cylinder locking up and not turning. Not good on a carry gun.

Next we went to the guns which I believe are "legal" down under. The first is a Marlin Model 39A lever action 22 rifle, great paper puncher and dirt clod buster. She holds so many rounds I almost get tired holding it up to the shoulder and cycling the lever. Mine has a Lyman brand receiver peep sight and even with 60 year old eyes I can hit the fist sized dirt clod at 25 yards.

The handguns that I think are Australia legal were two 1911s. The first was a Colt(Walther) 1911 .22. German made, but licensed by Colt it has a 5 inch barrel, 12 round magazine and all the controls in the right place. The other 1911 was Remington's 1911R1 Enhanced, 45ACP, also sports a 5 inch tube it comes with adjustable sights, the front blade has a red fiber optic insert, nice fit and finish and black laminated grips that offer good purchase but don't chew up the hand. The trigger is wonderful light at around 4 pounds with no creep or noticeable over travel. The gun is accurate and a joy to shoot yeah it bucks but hey, it's a 45 auto.

Still while it was fun shooting, best thing was being out with one of my brothers.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Re: A little range time in USA

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Feb 2016, 9:03 am

Like your lifestyle mate :thumbsup: One of my rifles is a 39A too. Lovely to cycle and none of the dreadful gremlins you hear about on MO :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Xerox » 01 Mar 2016, 2:14 pm

Jealous much :mrgreen:
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 01 Mar 2016, 6:26 pm

Xerox wrote:Jealous much :mrgreen:

Not out to make anyone jealous. I'll admit that after reading all the Bolshevik you in Australia and those in England have to endure just to spend a little time behind a trigger, makes me want to get out and throw some lead down range.

Brother should be up in a week or so and hopefully he'll bring another play pretty with him this time, something different I hope, and I'll dig something else out of the closet.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Modena » 01 Mar 2016, 8:03 pm

I had a ball in Vegas a couple of years ago at "The Range 702" Burned through a couple of hundred bucks real fast with a suppressed MP5, M4 Carbine and a Glock 19.

Man the M4 on semi was super-accurate - couldn't hit the side of a barn in full-auto though!
Modena
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 02 Mar 2016, 3:56 am

Modena wrote:I had a ball in Vegas a couple of years ago at "The Range 702" Burned through a couple of hundred bucks real fast with a suppressed MP5, M4 Carbine and a Glock 19.

Man the M4 on semi was super-accurate - couldn't hit the side of a barn in full-auto though!

I can teach you in an hour or two.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by GLS_1956 » 03 Mar 2016, 1:13 am

[quote="Modena"]I had a ball in Vegas a couple of years ago at "The Range 702" Burned through a couple of hundred bucks real fast with a suppressed MP5, M4 Carbine and a Glock 19.

Man the M4 on semi was super-accurate - couldn't hit the side of a barn in full-auto though![/quote

I've never fired anything in full auto, I want to but I'm picky. I want to shoot an M3 "Grease Gun" and a BAR, these were two that my dad fired in the Second World War. Otherwise the two other guns that interest me are the British Sterling and the Australian Owen sub-machine guns.

Dad had fired the Owen during WWII when in New Guinea. Dad called it "An odd duck" with the magazine on top.
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 03 Mar 2016, 1:34 am

Sterlings are AWESOME. Especially the ones with integrated suppressors. Most full auto ones in the US are based off DLO tubes and Sterling parts kits. Some we call "STENlings." Required a lot of careful gunsmithing and finishing to get them to the real deal.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by AusC » 03 Mar 2016, 9:35 am

Xerox wrote:Jealous much :mrgreen:

I share this sentiment :lol:
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by ebr love » 11 Mar 2016, 10:42 am

Aaaaag, I need to get to a US range! :lol:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 11 Mar 2016, 1:44 pm

ebr love wrote:Aaaaag, I need to get to a US range! :lol:

Just remember that not all ranges in the USA rent guns, let alone full auto stuff. Our range doesn't allow full auto to be fired on the range.
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 11 Mar 2016, 1:56 pm

Mine are free. And anything goes. Although I keep the tracers/flares/incendiaries down when everything has been dry for a while.

But GLS is right. MOST ranges in the US are not free for all battle zones and the majority do not rent full auto. It's certainly not rare, but you have to look into it ahead of time. Some states it is common, some states there is little more than what you do in Oz unless you really run stuff down.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by zobster » 11 Mar 2016, 2:24 pm

Makes me want to move to the states. Imagine having ammo delivered via fedex. And instead of puny 20round box, you can buy them by the pallet. Instead of bolt action, you can have a semi auto anything. Basically, jealous is a gross understatement !
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Title_II » 11 Mar 2016, 2:30 pm

You can certainly order FedEx, but most of my ammo comes UPS. A 40 pound package of ammo cases/cans is usually either free shipping or maybe $20 :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Tiiger » 05 Apr 2016, 11:37 am

Modena wrote:Burned through a couple of hundred bucks real fast with a suppressed MP5

Cyclic rate of about $10 a second :lol:
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles