Varminter Build or Factory buy

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Varminter Build or Factory buy

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 05 Mar 2016, 7:02 pm

Gwion wrote:Yep, those Montanas do look good. I have a fantasy project for a deer/GP hunting rifle in 7-08. It will either be a left hand Sako Hunter or a custom lefty on a Montana action. Probably be too old to hunt deer by the time i can afford one, though.

Ok..... but I think my fantasies are a slight bit different to yours... :unknown: :lol: :lol:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 05 Mar 2016, 7:16 pm

Yeah, well we don't need to know about those. There are other websites for that, mate. :wtf: :huh:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 05 Mar 2016, 7:17 pm

What do you guys think about buying a new Howa barreled Action and then using the action as a base for a custom. Do you think I Could sell the new Howa barrel?
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 05 Mar 2016, 7:25 pm

Maybe... wouldn't imagine you'd get much for it. There are a few 2nd hand Howa rifles for around $500 on usedguns.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Varmtr » 05 Mar 2016, 7:26 pm

Hi Luke
I like the TSE barrel cleans up easily and after 30 or so rounds it had bugger all copper fouling. Even the old man runs a 26" TSE in rem varmint profile on his 20PPC and it shots a ripper.
Why I went 26" is because I had it laying around the velocity difference between a 26" and a 24" is really bugger all around the 50-100fps give or take again depending on what powder you are running.
There are a heap of good barrel brands around I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 05 Mar 2016, 7:37 pm

You could probably sell the barrel off this one for a dollar ok.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=73598
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 05 Mar 2016, 7:54 pm

That link just takes me to the home page. Is it the TSE 26" straight .308 For $600?

Ok so far here is my slightly refined plan.

Howa Short action trued

24-26" 1-12 twist Remmy varmint taper probably fluted just for (W@nk factor) :drinks:

Timney Trigger

GRS varmint laminate stock in red (boyds call it applejack)

EGW HD Rail and Mounts

Scope not sure since it's gonna be a nice gun I would like a NF but I dunno. That could double the cost of my rifle so I'll probably get a bushnell ET35215G or ET6245FG unless someone can convince me to try a Vortex Viper PST.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 05 Mar 2016, 8:00 pm

Yep... the one with the TSE 308 barrel.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 05 Mar 2016, 8:02 pm

Might ring the bloke tomorrow! How do I go buying a rifle online? Or getting sent to my dealer before I've filed a PTA
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 05 Mar 2016, 8:25 pm

Put a deposit with the owner then put in PTA. Sound the dude out first.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 05 Mar 2016, 8:30 pm

My only worry is if he cocked it up and has damaged the action or something and that is why he's selling.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 05 Mar 2016, 9:03 pm

Fair enough. Some new ones selling for $550.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 05 Mar 2016, 9:09 pm

I saw that that's why I was thinking of a new one... but the 26" straight 308 looked like I could sell it for at least a few hundred and get some dough back but I'm concerned at that price which is probably what he spent on the barrel alone it seems cheep. :unknown: a new action for a new rifle sounds good to me and cheaper than a custom jobbie. And most likely be accurate enough to smash a fox or hare at 6-700
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Varmtr » 05 Mar 2016, 10:28 pm

Luke I have 3 PST's and the old man has 2, one on his 20PPC and other on his hornet. What I like is the simple reticle mine are MOA just simple hash marks and no christmas tree type and no floating cross in the middle. Mine have been reliable dial up what I need and it's on if I do my part and the illuminated reticle is a plus all for reasonable coin. The glass wise it's ok its clear edge to edge to me, the colour rendition isn't near is good as NF, Razor, Doctor, March etc scopes. But to me I don't care if it was B&W as long as I can see what the target is and it's clear and focused.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 06 Mar 2016, 9:38 pm

Varmtr those PSTs sound good I don't want illum just one more thing to pack up but I like the sound of them for the price. I'd be looking at a 6-24x50.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 07 Mar 2016, 5:10 pm

Ok so I may have found a new Howa Barreled action on the cheapish side at well under $600 it's a blued .308 fluted varmint. So If my PTA is approved I will buy that and use the action for my custom build and I can either keep the barrel or sell it as it will suit my existing .308 Howa varmint. Also seriously considering a vortex viper PST mainly because of the warranty.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 08 Mar 2016, 12:12 am

Good idea. Spare barrel for your other rifle.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 21 Mar 2016, 7:04 am

Ok so I've got my PTA back for a .308 bolt action. So the Howa will be mine. Now for the barrel. I've decided I'm going to go for something in 6mm.

Possibly a 6SLR or a 6CM. Not sure yet. Pros and cons.

6SLR you can just full length size to make it out of .243 brass (I have to use Winchester or Reminton Brass). Longer barrel life due to a longer neck and sharper shoulder than .243. Cons can't use factory ammo at all.

6CM make from .243 brass but must be fireformed. More case capacity than .243 more accurate than .243 slightly better barrel life due to being able to use slower powders. Can use factory .243 ammo if you're in a tight spot.

I'll probably get a 1-8 barrel. Anything you guys want to suggest about either two cartridges?
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 21 Mar 2016, 12:34 pm

How do both these cartridges go feeding from a mag?
I'm reading things that say some of the sharper shouldered cartridges don't feed too smoothly. Anticipate any issues there?

Also, because i'm an involuntary tight arse due to circumstances, i'd go with what ever uses less powder and has longer barrel life.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 23 Mar 2016, 8:52 am

From what I've read they both feed well from a mag 30* shoulder not too aggressive? The 6CM is/was (might have tightened the rules to include military cartridges only) regularly used in tactical matches where mag feeding is a must. Also I think the 6cm is supposed to have better barrel life because of its larger capacity and ability to use very slow powders. But then I need to buy more powder. I think the 6slr is closer to .243 performance but with more accuracy and barrel life. I'm just not sure about fire forming the 6cm otherwise I recon it'd be a dead ringer for varminting.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Varmtr » 23 Mar 2016, 12:28 pm

Both the 6.5 and 6CM are excellent cartridges. Another option to chuck in is a 243 AI increased case capacity and the abitily to run slow powders to push high BC 6mm projectiles. Just need die's and fire form from standard 243. Or just get 6.5CM brass and neck down to 6mm for the 6CM.
The 6.5CM very popular easy to get brass and die's will do anything that the 6mm's will do and also can go up to 140gr's at the moment.
Accuracy wise don't count out the 243w there are quite a few still being used the in PRS matches in the states.
Overall they are all within a snot rag of each other.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 23 Mar 2016, 6:16 pm

I did consider the .243 but decided it was a bit plain Jane since I already have 2 .308s (1 sporter and 1 varmint) and a .22-250 (featherweight) I decided something more uh. Uncommon would be cool and also eliminate my habit of buying factory ammo coz I'm too lazy to reload.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 25 Mar 2016, 4:47 am

If you are iffy on fire forming, you can order hydraulic forming dies. Form your cases with hydrostatic pressure and save components for load development.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Redwood » 13 Apr 2016, 9:45 am

It was my understanding the hydraulic dies to not replicate fireforming, they just get you most of the way there but a forming shot is still required because the shoulders don't form properly.

You can't develop loads from hydraulic-formed cases because the case capacity/shape is less than it will be after the initial firing when it takes it's 'proper' shape.
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 15 Apr 2016, 7:57 am

I've settled on the 6SLR because MY gunsmith hasn't got a 6 Competition Match reamer. Or dies.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 15 Apr 2016, 8:19 am

:thumbsup: good work. :clap:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Sender » 15 Apr 2016, 9:46 am

Redwood wrote:It was my understanding the hydraulic dies to not replicate fireforming, they just get you most of the way there but a forming shot is still required because the shoulders don't form properly.

You can't develop loads from hydraulic-formed cases because the case capacity/shape is less than it will be after the initial firing when it takes it's 'proper' shape.

Yeah the shoulders stay a bit rounded, google some pictures, it's pretty clear.
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 18 May 2016, 5:12 pm

So I'm on the Home Straight. Here is where I'm at.

Howa Action..
27" Maddco 6mm stainless barrel
1-8" twist Rem Varmint Contour

Chambered in 6SLR

GRS Sporter/Varmint Green Mountain stock

Glass bedded with Titanium Steel.

EGW mounts and Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50FG

Howa trigger
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 18 May 2016, 7:18 pm

Have you sent the trigger to Glen yet???

Good news that it's nearly ready to go!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 18 May 2016, 7:41 pm

No I haven't.. the parts are all ordered and on their way. Not yet assembled. That might be the go once it comes back from the smith I did think of that what is it $40 on eBay?
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles