Varminter Build or Factory buy

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Varminter Build or Factory buy

Post by MalleeFarmer » 27 Aug 2016, 4:13 pm

Getting close.. I have glass and pillar Bedded the rifle now and glass bedded the rail. Just need to get some lapping compound so I can mount my scope.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Ready to lap.
image.jpeg (102.42 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
image.jpeg
Bedded rear of rail.
image.jpeg (104.78 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
image.jpeg
Rear action pillar
image.jpeg (103.34 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
image.jpeg
Recoil Lug and front action pillar.
image.jpeg (104.99 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 27 Aug 2016, 5:01 pm

That bedding looks great, Mallee... Can't wait to see some groups from a tuned load!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Aug 2016, 5:56 pm

Very nice job mate - match grade bedding is it mate.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by crows2332 » 27 Aug 2016, 7:28 pm

You'll be moonlighting as a gunsmith in no time with that bedding job champ.
The rings look rugged on your build. I had seen the EGW rails for sale before, but never noticed they did rings as well (just don't pay enough attention sometimes when tunnel visioned onto something else).
crows2332
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by MalleeFarmer » 27 Aug 2016, 8:05 pm

crows2332 wrote:You'll be moonlighting as a gunsmith in no time with that bedding job champ.
The rings look rugged on your build. I had seen the EGW rails for sale before, but never noticed they did rings as well (just don't pay enough attention sometimes when tunnel visioned onto something else).

The standard rails I've heard mixed reports on but this is my second HD rail and I'm very happy so far. The HD rings are great I've found them to be very uniform and well finished. They are made in a single piece and then cut in half to ensure they are perfectly symmetrical and then both halves of both rings are numbered the same but one ring will have a decimal point to ensure the correct top goes with the ring. They all come with torque specs for fitting.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by crows2332 » 27 Aug 2016, 8:43 pm

That's what I get for buying standard then :-) There's usually always a reason for the extra coin!
Wondered how the matched rings came about. Makes sense if they are just two halves of the same/original piece
Any idea if those rings would go okay on a mil spec picatinny rail, Nightforce level of rail? (not top self like yours looks).
Your HD rings, just look like they were made for the setup you have there. Schmick!
crows2332
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by MalleeFarmer » 27 Aug 2016, 9:33 pm

Crows I think you'll find that a Nightforce rail is probably better quality than my EGW HD rail the rings should work fine on a NF rail.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by crows2332 » 28 Aug 2016, 10:34 am

Howdy MalleeFarmer, ahh, no probs, thanks for that, good to know, as a set of rings like that would look mint as yours does.
Cheers
crows2332
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by MalleeFarmer » 30 Aug 2016, 6:15 pm

Rings Lapped... Used medium valve lapping compound By Holts seemed to work well but I should have used fine seemed too coarse and was very harsh while lapping. The triangle shapes in the middle of the rings is shadow not an inconsistency in the rings. All ready to mount the scope.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (103.01 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (105.35 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 30 Aug 2016, 6:26 pm

Scope is mounted and squared with the bore. Eye relief is set. LOP and cheek weld is set. First loads are ready to go. :thumbsup: Here's hanging out for my leg to be usable again.. :thumbsdown:
Here is some pics of the rifle ready to go.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (104.8 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (104.48 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (106.27 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (104.88 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (103.73 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 30 Aug 2016, 6:54 pm

now thats a nice looking gun...love your eye for detail mallee....:)
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 30 Aug 2016, 7:12 pm

Hmmm you've got me wondering what I can do with the weatherby vanguard 22/250 my late best mate left me !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 30 Aug 2016, 7:15 pm

Man I needs me one of them there GRS stocks for my 7-08 (and a new safe... And a carry around 7-08..... And....)
Last edited by Gwion on 30 Aug 2016, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 30 Aug 2016, 7:16 pm

Ps: lookin' fine, mate.

:thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 30 Aug 2016, 7:21 pm

Gwion wrote:Man I needs me one of them there GRS stocks for my 7-09 (and a new safe... And a carry around 7-08..... And....)

I know I'm already thinking about my next rifle... :shock: haven't even fired this one yet.... Perhaps I should just learn to shoot the ones I've got.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 30 Aug 2016, 8:03 pm

Hehe... I forgot to mention I also need the cash for all the above!

:lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Aug 2016, 8:08 pm

Sweet looking rifle mate, should be a rippa.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles