tikka ctr or tactical

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: tikka ctr or tactical

Post by timetohunt » 07 Mar 2016, 5:27 pm

any thoughts on the leupold vx-3i ? a lot of customization's colour , engraving so on .
VX-3i 1.5-5x20mm
VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm
VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm
VX-3i 3.5-10x50mm
VX-3i 4.5-14x40mm
VX-3i 4.5-14x50mm
VX-3i 4.5-14x50mm (30mm)
VX-3i 6.5-20x50mm (30mm)

4.5-14x50mm seems like it would do pretty well
timetohunt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 08 Mar 2016, 12:24 am

I'd go Zeiss HD5 or upwards in the range. 3-15 or 5-25, depending on what you intend being your min hunting and max target range usage for the rifle.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Yelp » 09 Mar 2016, 2:49 pm

timetohunt wrote:just realized having no top load may really get annoying

IMO yup.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by timetohunt » 10 Mar 2016, 6:34 pm

gwion thanks for that will be having a look at them they seem to be good all round range and hunting prices isn't to bad either, Bushnell elite 6500 really surprised me 4.5-30 seem to good to be true at that price , how do you find the eye relief on the zeiss ? just looking for a day off go down to gun shop.
timetohunt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 10 Mar 2016, 6:50 pm

timetohunt wrote:any thoughts on the leupold vx-3i ? a lot of customization's colour , engraving so on .
VX-3i 1.5-5x20mm
VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm
VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm
VX-3i 3.5-10x50mm
VX-3i 4.5-14x40mm
VX-3i 4.5-14x50mm
VX-3i 4.5-14x50mm (30mm)
VX-3i 6.5-20x50mm (30mm)

4.5-14x50mm seems like it would do pretty well

Get one of the models that comes with side focus and the BDC and on the turrets to go with the tacticool rifle.. and the 30mm tube. That would a nice optic to own.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by timetohunt » 10 Mar 2016, 9:08 pm

do not think there available to us yet i tried a few places got in contact with america sent me to someone in Aus but he didn't have any of the vx-3i series so not sure when they will be dropping. would be very nice and im sure they add a sweet price tag they start at $600 in america so theyll start here at about $1500 lol
timetohunt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 10 Mar 2016, 9:44 pm

happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 10 Mar 2016, 9:54 pm

Only looked through HD5 at the shop. Had a go with a guy's Victory at the range at it was just awesome optically and eye relief was no issue. I can't always pick up someone else's rifle and just drop down on the scope for a perfect picture. The HD5 is the scope where you start getting German construction. I'll be putting one on my hunting rig when I can scrape the money together; I put something else on my 7-08 because it was going to be doing mostly range work and I wanted more elevation than the HD5 as well as tact turrets for dialling to 600 and out.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 10 Mar 2016, 10:00 pm

These are worth a look. Mate in the states got me on to them, I've got one on a 204 Ruger in 2-12.5x42. Very tough construction and will take a hard knock without loosing zero, spot on tracking. Made by same japanese factory as the Bushnell Elite series, very similar to the 4200.
http://www.clearidgeoptics.com/ultra-xp5-s/1819.htm
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by timetohunt » 11 Mar 2016, 5:30 pm

Gwion very true , also agree Germans have it spot on when it comes to quality ,that's the thing it all comes down to what you use it , happyhunter thanks for those websites they look like they actually post to Australia which is good for a change , they look worth a try still have a while to choose gonna go fill in forms tomorrow see what rifle is available . has anyone seen them new lines of tikka's ? t3x series whats everyones take on them ? im comparing the t3 ctr to the t3x ctr , what they have changed is : can top feed now, metal lug, interchangeable grip,new recoil pad,foam insert for noise reduction,extra screw placement for rails , metal shroud, what does everyone think ? t3 ctr better or tx3 ctr ? whats everyones opinion ?
timetohunt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 12 Mar 2016, 5:59 am

thanks for those websites they look like they actually post to Australia

yeah mate, I've used all three and the service great.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by hughston » 12 Mar 2016, 3:23 pm

If it's any help, I bought a tikka varmint in 308, it has a 23. something inch barrel or 600mm which is a bit longer than the two in question. As a hunting rifle it's a bit heavy to be carting around all day but at the range with 168gn it'll shoot 15mm groups @ 100m. As for scope I went big with 5-25x50 Zeiss conquest with high DNZ one piece mounts highly recommended scope. the plastic stocks I think are junk so I swapped out mine for a Boyd's laminated one very light not bad not the best. Also swapped the trigger guard with atlasworx alum & bolt handle. Also went the larger 30-06 mag & swapped out the bolt stop release button for long rang oal hand loads. So I ended up changing a lot of stuff as I go the the range more than I do hunt.
Last edited by hughston on 06 May 2016, 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hughston
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by timetohunt » 12 Mar 2016, 10:55 pm

hughston very nice well presented rifle ! you've made some pretty decent upgrades , the lens covers don't annoy you at all ? hmm i thought them dave water mags looked pretty good whats the problem with them ? you should have a look at the lucky 13 line of stuff for the tikka's they look promising there mags look well built and they have a gen 4 coming out in may there Australian made and prices are decent ,hearing pretty good things on zeiss from a few people here .
May wait and try out the new tikka t3x they seem like they could be okay , actually tried to pre-order one today but they do not know the eta he reckons could be up to 6 months and there not sure on the price but they also reckon roughly the same prices maybe a few hundred extra (i very highly doubt that) so didn't bother just yet until more details are released
timetohunt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by hughston » 12 Mar 2016, 11:42 pm

Timetohunt, The Zeiss scopes are definitely worth the money & if you decide on a 308 or similar having decent zoom is well worth it, I do have some butler creek flip up lens covers but have bothered putting them on. I bought the Dave W mag main because I could load longer hand loads rounds in it 2.900 I think, there well built mags but didn't click in to well with my after market atlasworx trigger guard. The Lucky 13 mags look good as well but no good for long oal hand loads. I can't wait to see the new T3x range, there some cool mods. Think I read somewhere there on sale over seas so shoulder be long check out the beretta au web page for updates there the distributor I'm sure, in the mean time get ya self a good scope.
hughston
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 Mar 2016, 1:29 am

Looks like magnum sports are starting to clear their t3s, i would expect the same from other dealers. It may prove a good time to pick up the current t3s
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by timetohunt » 13 Mar 2016, 10:43 pm

hughston so much good scopes out there on the market but who can afford to buy them all haha just looking for that 1 very good all purpose scope with low and high zoom even 5-25 is perfect good for hunting and great for range , everyone has mentioned some pretty decent scopes gonna have to do a compare of them all , well if your mostly doing range work no point putting them on would get in way and for hunting if you gonna recover your lens after every shot no point its gonna get damaged eventually not worth missing a good hunt that may just pop up out of no where , fair enough thanks for the heads up they should work on that or atlasworx should start making some mags they make some decent quality parts i think they would do a good mag one that fits tailor hand made rounds , will definitely be keeping my eye out i emailed them a few days ago still waiting on reply im pretty eager to add a new rifle to the collection , i hope to get the scope before so i can get use to it put it on something else until t3x gets released,in mean time im slowly updating and replacing all my hunting,range and camping gear there all very very out dated also very costly already regretting it. If it ain't broke don't fix it ! old advice i never listen to.
sandgroperbill thanks heaps for that they have the scopes and other accessories on sale perfect timing thanks again
timetohunt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by redders » 04 Apr 2016, 8:19 pm

I went CTR in 243, coming mid may apparently $1915
redders
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Tiiger » 05 Apr 2016, 11:40 am

hughston wrote:As a hunting rifle it's a bit heavy to be carting around all day

That's the price you pay for a varminter.

Good exercise though :D
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles