Good Pig hunting gun?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Good Pig hunting gun?

Post by Baronvonrort » 09 Mar 2016, 7:42 pm

I would go a .243 for pigs.

Terrain under 100 years a Red dot like Aimpoint or Eotech, over 100 get a scope, not too difficult to change optics.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 09 Mar 2016, 8:36 pm

There is a miroku MLR 308 on used guns right now. Made in the 80's with a steel receiver. This is my choice and I have had one for 34 years. You should get one as well.

Deano
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by snag » 09 Mar 2016, 10:30 pm

Hey there Mr Seacucumber,
for what it's worth, I've been using a Winchester model 94 .30/30 on close range pigs for the last 35 years or so and have never been tempted to change. Up to 100 yards or so the open sights are more than accurate enough and very quick to use when you have a mob running every whichway. For longer range shooting, I've settled on my .25/06 with 100 grainers. Very close in performance to a .270 or 6.5x55, but is so flat shooting that I don't really have to adjust elevation for distance - just aim it a smidgeon higher for really long shots and it finds the mark. I do have to say, however, that a good old ex-mil 6.5x55 or .303 have taken shedloads of pigs with no fuss either. Really, it's whatever you're comfortable with.

snag
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 10 Mar 2016, 12:51 am

I've gone hog, feral pig, hunting just once in my life. I carried an Interarms Mark-X Mauser in 308 Winchester, since we didn't even see a porker I wish I had taken the Steven's Favorite in 22LR since it is a lot lighter gun to tote around. In addition to the 308 I carried the guns that the 5 of us had were one Winchester 94 in 30/30, one Marlin 336 in 35 Remington, one Colt AR-15 in 223Remington. and one Remington 870 12 gauge pump. Two of the guys also carried handguns one was a S&W 22 revolver with a 4 inch barrel the other was a Ruger Blackhawk in 357.

The two guys with most of the hog kills were the one with the Marlin in 35 Remmy and the AR-15 in 223Rem, they were the land owner and his son BTW, booth had taken dozens of the swine with their respective guns. We were hunting in mostly scrub trees with some bordering open space that might have reached 150 to 200 yards, but that no pigs had ever been shot at a distance greater than 70 paces. Oh yeah in Oklahoma pigs are a nuisance animal and can be take year round without a hunting license.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 10 Mar 2016, 8:20 am

Thanks for the replys again guys :)

Has anyone ever used a 7615p before? They seem like a good mix between speed and usability. As in the speed of a lever action and the ability to take magazines like a normal rifle. Just wondering thanks!
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 10 Mar 2016, 10:22 am

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:Thanks for the replys again guys :)

Has anyone ever used a 7615p before? They seem like a good mix between speed and usability. As in the speed of a lever action and the ability to take magazines like a normal rifle. Just wondering thanks!

As a 7600 owner, albeit in 308, I can tell you that cleaning one is a performance. In addition, I have heard terrible reports about the quality control. That said, mine is perfectly OK but it's buyer beware mate.
Good Luck :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by zobster » 10 Mar 2016, 10:31 am

Me and my uncle used to shoot pigs in Malaysia and we've only got a Remington semi-auto shotgun. Therefore I would say the best would be a semi-auto shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by deanp100 » 10 Mar 2016, 5:13 pm

What is best, and what we are allowed to have is two entirely different things.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 10 Mar 2016, 5:51 pm

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:Thanks for the replys again guys :)

Has anyone ever used a 7615p before?

The guy in this video might be using one, if he was certified for aerial culling he would have Cat D and not shot the pig which entered the water along with turning back to finish off the one he wounded.
You start at the back of the pack and work forward which is another sign he is not certified for aerial culling with Cat D.

It shows the .223 is fine for the smaller pigs but a bit marginal for the bigger ones which is why I suggest a .243.

Enjoy-
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=519_1353508624
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Hatter » 11 Mar 2016, 12:11 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:I think quite possibly that the 30/30 is not so much the ultimate pig caliber but it comes in the ultimate pig hunting combo the lever action carbine and a reasonably punchy .30cal.

Good as long as you're using it at the ranges it's intended to be used at.

Just don't be the guy who buys one then bitches its crappy at 300 - 400 yard shots :lol:
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 11 Mar 2016, 1:48 pm

Hatter wrote:
MalleeFarmer wrote:I think quite possibly that the 30/30 is not so much the ultimate pig caliber but it comes in the ultimate pig hunting combo the lever action carbine and a reasonably punchy .30cal.

Good as long as you're using it at the ranges it's intended to be used at.

Just don't be the guy who buys one then bitches its crappy at 300 - 400 yard shots :lol:

Agreed Which is why my suggestion was for something in the family of .308 and .30-06 cases. From the .243 but Preferably from .260 up any of these in a short bolt rifle gives in my mind the ultimate in versatility
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Mar 2016, 3:12 pm

Something that most members would probably agree with is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The best or "Good" pig hunting gun is the one that you happen to be holding when you see pigs. :thumbsup:

Over many years there have been multitudes of grunters shot with all manner of firearms.
So unless you go out specifically after pigs (in which case you make your choice beforehand) and in the case of landowners, you never know where or when pigs will pop up.
In which case it becomes "opportunistic"

Not that I recommend it by far,,, but a great many porkers have been dropped by the humble old .22 lr in the above mentioned way.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Browning » 11 Mar 2016, 6:23 pm

I previously owned a BLR 308 and had a number of scopes on it.... Seriously lovely rifle to walk to scrub and shoot with but I just never could find the right ammo for it, it wa s a pig to clean and ultimately not quite as accurate as I expected..
Eventually changed to a Ruger GSR with an aimpoint.... Love it!!!
Instantly accurate, swings nicely and tough as nails (gets knocked around on the quad a bit)
A mate of mine has a Remington 7600P and in his hands it rarely misses... His works really well, but one of the reasons I went with the GSR is because of the reliability..
I agreed with "Deanos" post earlier in that I think a rifle is all "mental" and whether the pigs are running or ya get lucky and their sitting still, having confidence in what's in your hand makes a bigger difference than the brand..
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by hughston » 11 Mar 2016, 6:36 pm

WFA-1 straight pull would be fun, comes in either 223 or 300aac, from Warwick firearms, bit expensive but and wait time to build, also legal on cat b license depending on you state.
hughston
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by deanp100 » 11 Mar 2016, 9:30 pm

Browning wrote:I previously owned a BLR 308 and had a number of scopes on it.... Seriously lovely rifle to walk to scrub and shoot with but I just never could find the right ammo for it, it wa s a pig to clean and ultimately not quite as accurate as I expected..
Eventually changed to a Ruger GSR with an aimpoint.... Love it!!!
Instantly accurate, swings nicely and tough as nails (gets knocked around on the quad a bit)
A mate of mine has a Remington 7600P and in his hands it rarely misses... His works really well, but one of the reasons I went with the GSR is because of the reliability..
I agreed with "Deanos" post earlier in that I think a rifle is all "mental" and whether the pigs are running or ya get lucky and their sitting still, having confidence in what's in your hand makes a bigger difference than the brand..

Exactly. I started with a savage 99 243 as a serious hunting gun. Probably one of Americas most loved guns and I hated it. Couldn,'t hit a thing with it. Went the MLR and it just fit me. Others don't like them. Pick up a few, try them, throw them up to the shoulder and the right fit should jump out at you. If it doesn't, buy it, use it and if it doesn't excite you sell it.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 11 Mar 2016, 11:02 pm

hughston wrote:WFA-1 straight pull would be fun, comes in either 223 or 300aac, from Warwick firearms, bit expensive but and wait time to build, also legal on cat b license depending on you state.

That is a gorgeous rifle though, wonder how it performs.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 12 Mar 2016, 5:47 am

What is your uncle using? Seeing he is taking you pig hunting.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by VICHunter » 05 Apr 2016, 11:57 am

Browning wrote:I previously owned a BLR 308 and had a number of scopes on it.... Seriously lovely rifle to walk to scrub and shoot with but I just never could find the right ammo for it, it wa s a pig to clean and ultimately not quite as accurate as I expected.

That's a shame, a takedown BLR especially would be a great scrub gun.

What sort of groups are you talking here?
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 03 Oct 2016, 10:55 pm

.243 win
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 04 Oct 2016, 6:09 am

duncan61 wrote:.243 win

Nah I'm using my Vektor now considering I've dumped all my gun money into it haha
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by glidagida » 04 Oct 2016, 10:45 am

Looking for exactly the same thing but a general all rounder as well. You might find this article worth reading
http://www.huntingsafaris.com.au/welcome/page19.php
from a very experienced guy who runs pig hunting safaris in the NT . You will notice his advice is not to go too large with his recommendation being between the .243 and the 7mm.
I'm going for a .243 because of its versatility, but he suggests the following maximum sizes to maintain the Hydraulic Shock when the pig is hit.

.243/6mm calibre using 85gn bullets
.25 calibre using 100gn bullets ie (.257 Roberts),
6.5 mm using 120gn bullets ie ( 260 Remington)
7mm calibre using 120gn bullets ie(7mm - Remington)

GG
glidagida
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles