Good Pig hunting gun?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Good Pig hunting gun?

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 07 Mar 2016, 10:42 am

G'day guys,

So I have just gotten into shooting (yay!) and I have been invited up to Mallee by my uncle to go feral pig shooting.

So I was wondering if I were to buy a gun for this adventure what should I be looking at or some place to start? I only have my A+B so there is that but cost isn't much of a problem and I am happy to pay for quality.

Thanks for your help!
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Good Pig hunting gun?

Post by AusC » 08 Mar 2016, 8:43 am

You'll want a centre fire rifle (Category B).

Do you know what sort of terrain you'll be hunting in? 50m shots in the scrub or 100-200m in the open?

There are a number of different chamberings that are suitable for pigs. A .270 or .308 or a bolt action would both be fine for short/mid range hunting, as would half a dozen cartridges in that neighbourhood, there is no need to go anything bigger for pigs.

If it will be short range/scrub hunting you could look at a lever action for a little more speed in something like a 30-30. They're a bit limited in range and accuracy if you want to do a different style of hunting and reach out further later but for shorter ranges that would be a winner too.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 08 Mar 2016, 9:06 am

Enfield no 4 or no 5 , .303 10 rounds, one of the fastest bolt action rifles ever made, cheap, reliable, open sights and it won't break your heart if it gets banged up out bush
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by happyhunter » 08 Mar 2016, 9:22 am

30-30 lever action, low magnification scope. You want something fast handling and fast to point. If you pinging them off dams pretty much anything from 222 up, although I did ok with a 22 magnum until the old man gave me a proper rifle :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by MalleeFarmer » 08 Mar 2016, 10:59 am

i would say to cover more bases ausC was on the money a .270 or .308 would be ideal calibers for Pigs they are sold everywhere so ammo will be easy to come by out bush. Also they both have plenty of knockdown power for pigs. If you wanted to stay with the .308/.270 but want the speed of a lever action the Browning BLR could be a winner. But the 30/30 is a proven pig killer out to 200yds for a good shooter but more than capable for average joe out to 150 yds
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Mar 2016, 11:06 am

AusTac wrote:Enfield no 4 or no 5 , .303 10 rounds, one of the fastest bolt action rifles ever made, cheap, reliable, open sights and it won't break your heart if it gets banged up out bush

There is a lot to be said for a rifle that you already know is in good working order. For instance, my new 30/30 needed gunsmithing and a tradie I know had a 7600 Remington that was so bad, he Gave it away.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 08 Mar 2016, 11:37 am

So, Mallee. Seeing you are from the region the OP is planning to hunt pigs; what sort of terrain do you suppose he is more likely to be shooting? Scrub land or plains?

To the OP, I suggest you ask your uncle what sort of country you are likely to be hunting and then base you purchase on that information. It will also influence your choice in optics.

Bear in mind that pumps/levers are more involved when it comes to cleaning and maintenance while having less reputation for accuracy on longer shots; the added speed for follow up on an angry pig at close quarters has something to be said for it, though.

Bolts, on the other hand, simple to maintain and easy to tune for fine accuracy; take more practice to cycle for rapid follow up shots.

As for brands. Im no expert on pumps/levers (or anything really) but I would also be looking at the Browning range and if money is no real issue, I'd be looking at a bolt from Sako, Steyer Scout or Sauer. The Steyer Scout would make a good fast handling rifle (that means quick to aim) for scrub work while still having the advantage of bolt accuracy and simplicity to maintain. Would be a good, versatile rifle if in the right chambering and useful for more than just bush bashing for pigs..... IF money is not an issue.

Then you have the fun of choosing a sighting system.

Good luck and stay safe.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 08 Mar 2016, 11:45 am

If you're gonna be in thick scrub and bush, a short barreled shottie, a lever in .30-30, 45-70 or browning blr in any of a myriad of calibers.
You also have scouts, though they're not as fast to operate, and not as accurate at longer ranges, but they are fast to point, so probably a good choice in semi open or if you're travelling between scrubby and open areas.
If you're hunting in more open areas, then a good bolt action that can drop them at range is what you want.

I would narrow down the list to a browning blr, a ruger scout, a smle (jungle carbine would be perfect... if you can find one) or a .30-30 or .45-70.

See if you can find a jungle carbine and go from there, otherwise, find a smile that someone has sporterized (don't, whatever you do, DON'T butcher one in original/good condition, find one already butchered).

If not, a browning blr in a decent caliber can still be alright in the open, as can a ruger scout, but they're not going to be as accurate over long ranges, so try to keep within a couple of hundred metres.

Oh, and don't get a high powered scope. Something low powered and quick to aim, red dot or iron sights would be the go if you're in the thick stuff. Perhaps even a laser.

Now, it all comes down to personal preference and what feels right for you. Something that is comfortable to you and fits right will be quicker to point and more accurate, so go try shoulder some
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by happyhunter » 08 Mar 2016, 12:47 pm

[qoute]Perhaps even a laser.[/quote]

You mean the Browning 9mm with laser optic?.. ROTFL How you spose'd to hold lead on a running pig with a laser?
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by sandgroperbill » 08 Mar 2016, 1:18 pm

who said anything about running? Plenty of pigs have been taken while standing still. If you were to use a laser, it would be in addition to sights or optics. Relax, I'm just throwing some different options and opinions out there.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by happyhunter » 08 Mar 2016, 1:30 pm

Dunno if you stalked a sounder but after the first shot they all run. It's great to offer suggestions although personally only suggest on things I've had experience in doing.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Mar 2016, 3:46 pm

Some good advice above, lever action in a nice caliber, 44-40, 44Mag, 45LC etc for close in, same in 30/30 etc. for mid range. Have taken uncountable pigs with a 3-oh. Don't spend up on a No5, for half that cost a cut down No1Mk3 will fit the bill. Keen to hear anyones opinion on the Steyr Scout for pigs? (I still want my Ruger 44Mag Carbine and SPAS12 back for piggies! Stuff JW Howard!!) Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 08 Mar 2016, 4:26 pm

A good bolt action .243 Win with a good quality variable scope, will do everything 'PIG'.

Will reach way further than those other calibres that Noah saved from the rising waters.

( Practice at the range; get to know your 'hold points'. )

P.S. I own a 45/70 and a 30/30.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 08 Mar 2016, 4:55 pm

Appropriate this topic came up as I'm heading north on Friday to do some pig shooting. Been pondering what to take and decided on the following,

Mossberg 20" U/O 12Ga - Can't go wrong with 00 buck
DTA SRS 308 with EOTech sight - Short O/all length and rapid target acquisition
300 Wby Mag - For longer shots if required

DTA HTI - 375 Chey + 50BMG - I get lazy so this will let me shoot pigs from my swag. The 50 barrel is more for the Banana benders coming down to join us so they can "Feel" the power of NSW :)

Usually up bush I hunt with just the Mossberg and the .257 Wby Mag cause they'll cover any game I'm likely to encounter. Taking a bit of a salad this time mainly cause the mate and his relatives from QLD haven't seen a 50Cal it'll be fun to watch their reactions and see some blood. Band aides have been packed cause the HTI kicks like a Donkey :)

Back on topic...Everything the boys have mentioned will do the job so it'll come down to your budget and what appeals to your eye. If I was to choose only 1 rifle for chasing pigs in scrub then 45-70 lever with red dot would be my choice. Plenty of stopping power, fast cycling for quick follow up shots if needed, light and reasonably short over all length. If your going to be grunting through the red sand round Mallee then travel light as possible so you can carry more water.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 08 Mar 2016, 6:26 pm

It depends where your uncle is taking you. If he's taking you onto farms then you'll likely be in a mixture of open and scrub country but the likelihood of seeing pigs in open country is slim not impossible and probably more likely closer to evening. Also because it's been so dry finding water points (there won't be many) will be a big help to find pigs. If your on public land more likely it will be scrub. And I would say that a quick handy rifle will be your best bet for getting a pig but I would favour a BLR or bolt rifle with a relatively short 20" barrel and chambered for any of the .308 or .30-06 cased gear as this will give you some range of the chance for a long shot arrives. From probably a minimum of .243 up preferably .270 or 7mm up to anything and including .338 anything more is probably overkill. But it won't hurt to go bigger.

Here is my particular rifle that I have built for that particular job. It's a commercial 98 Mauser .308 with a 20" barrel and a 3-9x40 scope it's nice and handy and the 3-9 scope is plenty low enough for close in shots and gives enough zoom for longer shots in open country.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (105.48 KiB) Viewed 16729 times
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 08 Mar 2016, 6:28 pm

Just don't get a 300wm with a 26" bull barrel and a 5-25x56 scope expecting miss piggie to run out of the scrub from 700m and wait to get hammered.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 08 Mar 2016, 7:04 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:Just don't get a 300wm with a 26" bull barrel and a 5-25x56 scope expecting miss piggie to run out of the scrub from 700m and wait to get hammered.

Exactly ....

That's why a 'medium' caliber will 'do the trick'

.243 Win. is Da bomb ....
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 08 Mar 2016, 7:27 pm

The most important thing is a gun you have confidence in and like the feel of. You will not get a rifle to do everything so don't try , and don't overthink it. There are a lot of calibres that work . My choice is an MLR in 308 with a tough 4 power wide angle scope. I love it and am quite good with it. There are times were a shotgun would be better and times when a long range outfit would be better but it is only pig hunting, not life and death. Some pigs will run away. Get them next time. Whatever you choose practice with it, get good with it and it will serve you well.

Deano
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 08 Mar 2016, 7:30 pm

^^^good advice from deano
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 08 Mar 2016, 8:03 pm

Firstly Thanks to the mods for allowing me to post, been hoping I would get some fantastic answers like the ones I have got :D

So yea thanks guys for the advice, I am kinda at the moment tossing up between some kind of leaver action and an .308 Ruger GSR.

I asked him and he said as MalleeFarmer talked mentioned before it will mostly be decently heavy scrub.

For the price (what I have looked at this arvo) I could get a decent jungle carbine for the same price as the Ruger which also kinda makes that choice hard.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 08 Mar 2016, 8:10 pm

If you do go for a .303/jungle carbine make bloody sure you know what your buying
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 08 Mar 2016, 8:12 pm

AusTac wrote:If you do go for a .303/jungle carbine make bloody sure you know what your buying

Yea that is one thing aswell, I mean if it is something that has been played with I can not really sure what I am buying which also pushes me to buying a brand new rifle.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 09 Mar 2016, 6:20 am

@ MalleeFarmer

Good looking combination; I'm sure it's very effective .....

What is the muzzle blast / report like ?

Are the open sights much of a distraction when looking through the scope ?
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 09 Mar 2016, 6:52 am

Muzzle blast seems no different than my Howa .308 with a 24" barrel but it may be louder I just can't tell. Open sights are only visible at 3x zoom and I've found they aren't really a distraction as when you focus on the reticle they seem to "disappear" and go out of focus enough that I don't really notice them.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Norton » 09 Mar 2016, 9:43 am

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:.243 Win. is Da bomb ....

With heavy pills that is :thumbsup:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Mar 2016, 1:37 pm

Started off as a kid using a .22 and shotgun, I nailed hundreds of pigs with these, now I mainly use a 30/30, although every now and again a .22 magnum, 308 and or 30/06.
I have to say that after many years of pig hunting, I have found the 30/30 to be the best all round calibre for pigs.
Member-Deleted

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 09 Mar 2016, 5:17 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:Started off as a kid using a .22 and shotgun, I nailed hundreds of pigs with these, now I mainly use a 30/30, although every now and again a .22 magnum, 308 and or 30/06.
I have to say that after many years of pig hunting, I have found the 30/30 to be the best all round calibre for pigs.

But, it has the trajectory resembling a sad rainbow !

( can understand, if ALWAYS / MOSTLY hunting in thick scrub )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 09 Mar 2016, 6:09 pm

if its even heavy "ish" scrub i would go for a red dot,you dont have to spend a lot on one and the both eyes open shooting gives you great area awareness, just read what i just typed,,,area awareness :wtf: :lol: but you get what i mean :thumbsup: any gun that [url]you like[/url] will serve :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Blu333 » 09 Mar 2016, 6:33 pm

7600P in .308. Short OAL, easy to point in the scrub, light and easy to lug around, plenty of knock down power and of coarse a quick follow up if needed.

Ive taken pigs anywhere from 20-200m with mine, anyone who is telling you a pump is no good at a pig sized target at 200m is just blaming there tools.

But of coarse each to there own, the best one is one you are comftable with.
12G Pardus LAX12 Marine 20"
12G Adler A110
12G Winchester 101 O/U
.308 Rem 7600P - Leupold Vx1 3-9x40mm
.308 Rem 700 VSFII - Nightforce 8-32x56mm
.223 Tikka Super Varmint - Leupold VX2 6-18x40mm
.22LR CZ 455 Bushnell 4-12
.22 Winchester Air Rifle
Blu333
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 09 Mar 2016, 6:55 pm

I think quite possibly that the 30/30 is not so much the ultimate pig caliber but it comes in the ultimate pig hunting combo the lever action carbine and a reasonably punchy .30cal. That said if this is one of many rifles and you're buying it just for pig hunting a .30/30 lever will be a great if not even perfect rig. But If it's a first rifle and you May do hunting with it other than pigging I'd go with the Ruger GSR you have mentioned it's got oodles of knockdown a 10rd mag, setup for a scout scope (very fast target acquisition) and a handy length for scrub work. Win win. Also I don't own a GSR but I would like one just that I have 2 .308s already and don't think the .223 does the scout rifles purpose justice
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles