6.5x55 barrel twist for cast bullets

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: 6.5x55 barrel twist for cast bullets

Post by Akis » 24 Mar 2016, 8:55 am

Hi Cuvy,

I recently rang Hawksbury and got the same story, The dies are RS and they're not sure if they'll replace them. So probably have to cast and coat them myself. Oh well yet another adventure. Will definitely buy the swede, and with the 120gr Amax, it will shoot flat enough out to 200 - 250 yds and that is plenty for me. Did have a thought though, had a look at the Baikal break open single shot in 308. no too pricey I've seen second hand around, or maybe even a sporterised (chopped) Mauser. that way I avoid stuffing around with molten lead. Still head scratching!!

I found copper plated 308 150gr on Clever's website, quite cheap $219/1000, still heaps cheaper than jacketed. I have no idea if they're any good, but do look very uniform and smooth, almost a jacketed bullet and could be a higher speed option. The Berry site recommends less than 2000fps, which will be a tad less than 30 30 so out to 100 - 150 plenty good enough as long as they're accurate.

By the way what sort of accuracy do you get with the cast bullets? are they even worth considering even at low velocities for hunting, or ok for shooting paper.

Anyway, I'm still 3-4 weeks away from getting my bloody licence, then the purchase application. wow what a pain this is. and when I do, first thing will be to work up a nice accurate load for the Amax, that way I'll be ready if I get the chance to go hunting, and get in some practice as well, it's been a long time since I've shot a rifle. Got to learn all over again.

cheers mate and thanks for the info
Akis
Akis
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by cuvy » 24 Mar 2016, 11:18 am

Glad I can be of help. My license took about 5 months - absolute pain in the arse.

I know someone who has a single shot baikal in 7.62x39 and it is a nice and fun little rifle to shoot. If you're just planning on shooting cast then 7.62x39 might be slightly better as there's less case volume, making 'reduced' loads a bit safer with slower burning powders. Bear in mind though that they have a slightly larger bore - I think .311 instead of .308 for other 30 cal cartridges, so you need to make sure you get the slightly larger projectiles.

I really haven't been shooting cast loads (or shooting in general) very long, so bear that in mind. The subsonic 6.5 load (140gr hawkesbury river, 7gr trailboss) seemed to group around 1" at 50m. I haven't played around with seating depth or fine tuning the powder charge, and this was my poor shooting prone off a backpack. I expect I will be able to get that down to maybe 0.5". The guy who helped me do this has plenty of cast bullet loads (in a variety of ex-mil calibres) that do better than that though. He uses higher power loads (1800+ fps gas checked) out to around 130m for hunting deer (chittal) and pigs with good results.

If you are still going to get a 6.5x55 rifle, I reckon have a look at sporterised ex-mil rifles. They are fantastic value. i just picked up one for $300 posted interstate, and there are plenty for around at the moment for between $300 and $450 that are sporterised, with cut down orig stock, aftermarket wood, synthetic or laminate, receiver drilled and tapped, maybe even a basic 4x scope. You may need to replace the safety with a low profile one to clear the scope (there's a timney one for about $75), or just carry un-cocked until you're ready to fire. A sporterised M38 with a standard length barrel is about the same length, and only a bit heavier than a Ruger M77 MkII in 270, for less than half the price! Overall I think they are exceptional value. Something to consider anyway.
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Akis » 24 Mar 2016, 12:19 pm

Hi cuvy,

Great idea, the 7.62x39 would use a lot less powder had a quick look at ADI loading data and max load with the 150gr is about 2100 fps using 2206H, so shouldn't be too hard to develop a load with cast. thanks mate, more to scratch my head over!!! joking it is a top idea and now to hunt down projectiles (would still like to buy not cast.

Ok so your're getting minute of bunny... cool, now if Hawksbury get back into production we're laughing!

Yes have thought of sporterised swedes, certainly will be able to afford both and keep within budget as well. I suppose it is a matter of cruising the net till I am able to actually buy one. Bit worried about barrel condition, i suppose its a case of look carefully. saw one for $295, at least i'd have stock and action

5 months!!! not happy Janet. I really don't get it, crims don't buy guns they smuggle them in or steal them and don't give two hoots about the law. I worked in a highly regulated industry before retiring and although there was some justification to regulate it, there was some quite stupid reasoning behind the decisions made by legislators. Fact is the legislators are motivated by votes and keeping in power. All the crap about protecting us is just that crap

cheers mate
Akis
Akis
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Akis » 30 Mar 2016, 7:33 pm

Hi bentaz

wow i didn't realise that they were available from gunshops... great stuff will get some too

thanks mate for the heads up!

cheers
Akis
Akis
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by cuvy » 30 Mar 2016, 8:57 pm

Bentaz - try 7gr of trailboss for a subsonic load. Also note that when i tried around 12 gr (which happens to be what you get with the scoop included in the lee loader) i got around 1500fps, but the projectile was keyholing.
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by cuvy » 03 Apr 2016, 5:11 pm

Hi Akis,

The barrels on ex-mil swedes seem to be generally fairly good - they didn't see active service so they seem to have been well looked after. Also, they are made using what is essentially stainless steel, which also helps their condition. I still think 30cal is better for cast, but 6.5 swede and the ex-mil swedish mausers are great guns.

Bentaz - looks like you got the last of them. Called them up the other day and they didn't have any left.
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Akis » 05 Apr 2016, 1:18 am

Hi cuvy,

Yes I've been looking at them too, researched the M96/38 and everything I've read describes then as well built and accurate, apparently the swedes were very particular about the steel in their guns, even shipped it to Mauser to build the first production run. I suppose its pot luck when buying one though. After all 96s are usually quite old (120yrs) and 38s too would be nudging 75+ yrs.

I have been thinking quite a bit about 30cal, specifically the 30 30, there is a sh**tload of data on cast for it. The more i think about it the more attractive the 30cal becomes. I think a lever action is a goer, I'll just keep looking and getting an idea of prices. When the bloody licence finally arrives that is!!

I wonder if the Berry's copper plated bullets are ok. I see they don't have a cannelure so I suppose I need to find out if they can be crimped. I'll ask the question once I'm ready to start loading.

I was only going to buy a swede and a 22lr, but if I buy a sporterised ex military and a 2nd hand 22, I should be able to talk the finance dept into stretching it to a third rifle.

I called Qld Gun Exch and missed out too... If I go for the 30 30 that will be a mute point anyway.

Cheers Mate
Akis
Akis
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Apr 2016, 10:56 am

Akis,
FWIW, my Lee 30/30 die is supposed to crimp on jacketed bullets even if they don't have a cannelure.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by cuvy » 05 Apr 2016, 6:43 pm

Here's a thought ti provide even more confusion :)

how about a 357 mag or 44mag lever gun? plenty of cast for them!
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Akis » 06 Apr 2016, 12:15 am

Hi Wm Traynor, cuvy and bentaz,

Wm Traynor, i suppose the copper plated bullets wouldn't be too different, other than half the price! Worried i'd damage the plating and end up with lead in the barrel. but thinking about it, even with a cannelure i'd still be cutting into the coating.

cuvy and bentaz, did think about the pistol calibres, really need to look at the ballistics though. I suppose that using cast means that I'll be limited to less than 2000fps, probably closer to 1800, from my research. So looking at the ADI reloading data on 357 or the 44 rem mag, it shows velocities of 1700 - 1900 with jacketed but only 1200 or so with cast. Certainly if I can use the slower powders with cast and push then a bit quicker then they'd do for around 100 yds and with the size of lead the 44 throws will have plenty of grunt.

By the way, looking in the latest sporting shooter mag, there is a very complimentary article on the Bergara B14 Sporter, and apparently sub $1000 and available in 6.5x55... i've got time to wait and see if the gun shops run and introductory specials. googled them and apparently they make quality barrels. hopefully there'll be a few more reviews. Might do a bit more googling see what comes up. Funds have improved somewhat, apparently the finance dept does have a heart... or she wants something!!

seems i've got plenty of time ... still waiting for this bloody licence!

cheers guys, thanks so much for the info really appreciate it

Akis
Akis
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles