It's Official! Ruger Precision has arrived

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

It's Official! Ruger Precision has arrived

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 Mar 2016, 3:25 pm

So, probably a bit late to the party, but I was watching an old Ozzie reviews video on YouTube and in a comment from about a month ago, he mentioned Nioa were planning to import, so I decided to have a look at their website, and...

http://www.nioa.com.au/products/list/view/RPR65

So, it's now official that it will be available in Australia, though their website only lists it as being approved in Vic and Qld. The rest of us may miss out, but I'm tempted to order one and try to license it in WA. If it gets rejected, I would have to try on sell it :(
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: It's Official! Ruger Precision has arrived

Post by Wm.Traynor » 13 Mar 2016, 3:34 pm

Not to be a wet blanket Bill but the NRA types who shoot out to 1000 yards have 30 inch barrel for their 308s, in order to reach adequate velocities. Could be a problem with barrel lengths.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Baldrick314 » 13 Mar 2016, 3:42 pm

I really like the look of these and I'm interested in the 6.5 Creedmoor calibre. Won't happen in NSW due to folding stock though :(
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 Mar 2016, 3:45 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Not to be a wet blanket Bill but the NRA types who shoot out to 1000 yards have 30 inch barrel for their 308s, in order to reach adequate velocities. Could be a problem with barrel lengths.

Yeah, I don't like the barrel length on the .308, but I would seriously consider the creedmoor or the .243 if I were to try to license one.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by gunnnie » 13 Mar 2016, 4:18 pm

Pre-ordered one in January. Ordered the 6.5CM as I have several 308's & don't like 243, but do like the ballistics of the 6.5cal. Believe it should be here mid year.

Cant wait.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Mar 2016, 5:09 pm

So by calling it the 'precision' rifle... is that like North Korea calling themselves the 'Democratic' peoples republic..... like a piss take on reality :lol: :lol:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Squiddy » 13 Mar 2016, 10:31 pm

I put a 6.5mm Creedmoor on order in Feb.

Spoke to the NIOA Sales rep last week as I have heard mixed things on when shipments are expected:

Australia is not getting a shipment until 2017 I'm afraid.

I think this has something to do with rifles popularity in the states and Australia simply not being a big enough market.
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 13 Mar 2016, 11:11 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:So by calling it the 'precision' rifle... is that like North Korea calling themselves the 'Democratic' peoples republic..... like a piss take on reality :lol: :lol:

A precision rifle in disguise :D
Attachments
pix966735410.jpg
pix966735410.jpg (112.95 KiB) Viewed 11368 times
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by AusTac » 14 Mar 2016, 4:40 pm

Having seen a few reviews id be keen to get some hands on one, does anyone know a rough price range?
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Squiddy » 14 Mar 2016, 7:09 pm

AusTac wrote:Having seen a few reviews id be keen to get some hands on one, does anyone know a rough price range?

Around $2000.
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 14 Mar 2016, 8:00 pm

Will be interesting to see when it does arrive. Not sure if Nioa are the only importers!
The number of videos cropping up about the RPR is rapidly increasing and the reviews are pretty good.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RealNick » 17 Mar 2016, 1:23 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:So by calling it the 'precision' rifle... is that like North Korea calling themselves the 'Democratic' peoples republic..... like a piss take on reality :lol: :lol:

I'll admit that was a bit my first reaction too.

I haven't used one of the precisions of course, but my impressions of Ruger have always been as a reliable, durable, rugged work horse of a rifle.

'Hunting accurate' but you know it will load and shoot anything, every time.

"Precision" isn't a word I've have previously put into their description.

Could be wrong of course, we'll see :)
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Squiddy » 06 Apr 2016, 10:28 am

I'm strongly considering cancelling my order and building a chassis type precision rifle from scratch with a different action. Telling their pre-orders it would be here mid year and then turning around and telling everyone, "bad luck its sometime in 2017 now", has left me peeved at Ruger.

I like the 24" threaded barrel and that it comes in 6.5mm Creedmoor. The problem is to buy a donor 6.5mm Creedmoor with a similar barrel and action, + an MDT or similar chassis, butt and pistol grip handle is going to cost well over 4K as opposed to the 2K for the RPR....
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Norton » 08 Apr 2016, 10:02 am

gunnnie wrote:I have several 308's & don't like 243

Why no love for the .243?
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by tine » 18 May 2016, 9:26 pm

.308 is here in qld. Going to try it out this weekend!
tine
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Jun 2016, 3:01 pm

I hear Savage have released a competitor....looking for more info.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by gunnnie » 10 Jun 2016, 9:57 am

Norton wrote:
gunnnie wrote:I have several 308's & don't like 243

Why no love for the .243?

Have never seen a need for the calibre/cartridge. What I can't do with a 223/22PPC/22-250, I can cover with a 303-25 or 257Rob AI. So there's no need for that calibre in my opinion.
Don't doubt it's worth for those who like it. I just believe there's better options.
Personal opinion & choice really. :thumbsup:
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 10 Jun 2016, 10:04 am

As for the RPR , I picked my 6.5CM up last Thursday night. Fitted a Falcon Menace 5.5-25X50 in a LaRue tactical M4 QR mount.

Have two boxes of Hornady 123gn AMAX factory rounds to try thru it. Just need some range time now.
Last edited by gunnnie on 12 Jun 2016, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 10 Jun 2016, 10:42 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:I hear Savage have released a competitor....looking for more info.

Its not the prettiest... looks like an AR stock, so I guess that makes it semi-auto ass-ault rifle in Aus :roll:

308win, 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 Win. Mag, 338 Lapua Mag. :thumbsup:

<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by AusC » 10 Jun 2016, 10:59 am

gunnnie wrote:Have never seen a need for the calibre/cartridge. What I can't do with a 223/22PPC/22-250, I can cover with a 303-25 or 257Rob AI. So there's no need for that calibre in my opinion.
Don't doubt it's worth for those who like it. I just believe there's better options.
Personal opinion & choice really. :thumbsup:

The minimum calibre laws here get in the way of the .243 being as useful as it could be.

Not arguing with the limits, if you're going to have one a lined has to be drawn somewhere and .243 is just the cartridge that copped it.

It's fine to say having a .223 and .30 covers everything, it goes, but not everyone wants or can afford two rifles. They might not need as heavier hitter as a .30.

Laws aside a 100gr .243 is no feather duster, and in most situations would happily take game which it is illegal for here (not advocating anyone does it of course, just saying it would).

Being able to go from 50gr - 100gr loads makes it very versatile for varmints and game, if you were living in the US and hunting Coyotes one day and White Tail it would be perfect for the one-rifle-hunter.

Horses for courses, whatever suits your given situation.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Squiddy » 11 Jun 2016, 9:28 am

Picked up my 6.5 the other day. Looking at putting either a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 MILR or Vortex PST 6-24X50 FFP EBR2C MRAD for shooting at ranges to 1000m and beyond. Of course the NF is superior, but is it really worth $1000 more? I hear mixed things about Vortex scopes where as the only con of the NF seems to be the price.
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 12 Jun 2016, 12:57 pm

AusC : when I was first able to purchase a centrefire I looked at what was available for what I wanted to hunt. I did look at the 243 but trying to find one at my price limit was near impossible. Even a BSA was 2-300 more than my funds allowed. So that probably precluded the calibre from consideration.
Whereas I could get 222, 6.5 & 308 within my budget. I ended up choosing the 6.5 & to be honest the Swede more than adequately covered anything I hunted. My experience with that cartridge was a major factor in choosing the 6.5CM in the RPR.
I also found that I scored more one shot kills on medium sized game than a mate did with his 243. I won't say he was a worse shot than me, but I did better on medium size pigs & big billies, go figure.
Now that I'm able to indulge in my passion for firearms I have expanded my cartridge choices & still can't find a need for the poor old pope gun.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Squiddy » 23 Jun 2016, 8:25 am

Bump for scope help!

Has anyone stuck a scope on theirs and if so what did scope and rings did you use? Looking for some advice for scope and ring selection on long distance shooting 500m-1000m (and maybe beyond sooner or later...).

Guys in the local gunshop recommend Nightforce, and said the quality of the Vortex is inferior being built in the Philippines and using glass that is not up to long distance shooting (compared with the NF) but many people on the web are singing the praises of the Vortex PST. There's also a bunch of videos on youtube of people shooting comfortably past 1000m with the PST.... Any help here would be appreciated.

Im also reading that you need to use rings at least 1.45" high so the bell clears the rail - at least for any scope thats around x50 with this rifle. What rings have people here used?
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Squiddy » 12 Sep 2018, 3:41 pm

Just wondering if anyone uses one of these for hunting? Stalking or hiking with one of these seems like it might be a bad idea given the weight?
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles