Tikka T3X??

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka T3X??

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 14 Mar 2016, 4:02 pm

Does anyone know anything about these. Wouldn't it take the Tikka to the next level if you could top load one of these bad boys
Attachments
FB_IMG_1457934970005.jpg
FB_IMG_1457934970005.jpg (121.84 KiB) Viewed 7903 times
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Tikka T3X??

Post by Squiddy » 14 Mar 2016, 7:20 pm

Looks like a lot of the calibers and options are gone in the new range? ie Barrel length, .260, threading etc.
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 14 Mar 2016, 8:00 pm

Like i said i havent really seen or read too much on these info at this point seems to be scarce. Hopefull that someone on here knows a little more
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 14 Mar 2016, 11:00 pm

You know they're full of it when you see the word "Robust" in the marketing. Seems to be a very popular word amongst managers in the I.T s[ace at the moment, right up there with "Agile".
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 15 Mar 2016, 5:55 am

Wouldn't it take the Tikka to the next level

Which level is that?
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Chronos » 15 Mar 2016, 6:57 am

happyhunter wrote:

Which level is that?

He means change the port and the magazine to allow top loading of the mag, then charge another $1000...oh wait, that's a Sako :lol:

All the changes are detailed on the website and in the video. Softer recoil pad for the softer customers, bigger ejection port for customers with fat fingers, steel recoil lug for customers who can't seem to manage to get the action over the lug and torque the screws correctly and interchangeable pistol grip skins for tactical customers

They've been saying a "New Tikka" was coming for quite a while, it's a shame they didn't leave good enough alone and release a rimfire rifle or a mini action but I guess the squeaky oil gets the wheel and everyone on the internet send to whinge about the recoil lug, the but pad and the ejection port.

Just wait till they all start whinging the new softer recoil pad is breaking down in the safe just like the soft Remington and limbsaver ones do

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 15 Mar 2016, 7:49 am

Chronos wrote:
happyhunter wrote:

Which level is that?

He means change the port and the magazine to allow top loading of the mag, then charge another $1000...oh wait, that's a Sako :lol:

All the changes are detailed on the website and in the video. Softer recoil pad for the softer customers, bigger ejection port for customers with fat fingers, steel recoil lug for customers who can't seem to manage to get the action over the lug and torque the screws correctly and interchangeable pistol grip skins for tactical customers

They've been saying a "New Tikka" was coming for quite a while, it's a shame they didn't leave good enough alone and release a rimfire rifle or a mini action but I guess the squeaky oil gets the wheel and everyone on the internet send to whinge about the recoil lug, the but pad and the ejection port.

Just wait till they all start whinging the new softer recoil pad is breaking down in the safe just like the soft Remington and limbsaver ones do

Chronos

Chronos dead on the money i do like the tikkas heck i came close to buying one its just a few little silly things that stoped me from doing so. As a few of you would know i bought a sako and i currently have no regrets. Yes the marketing takes a huge credibility dive when they start throwing around "wankspec" words like robust or tactical
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 15 Mar 2016, 7:57 am

Still think there's a big difference between a top loading tika and a sako.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 15 Mar 2016, 8:38 am

I don't have a Tikka, Only Brownings, Remingtons, Anschutz, CZs and Brnos. I remember when the T3s came out they were really cheaply priced, same price as a Remington SPS. The new Browning Ablolt2 had also just been released and I was looking at all three with the intention of buying a new 308. After a long discussion with my gun dealer (a mate of 30 years) I went for the Browning. After that the T3 price skyrocketed and he later explained that they were making a killing on them because the markup on the Tikka was massive compared to everything else they sold.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by redders » 04 Apr 2016, 8:16 pm

I don't have a tikka either, just a pretty little browning bolt 17hmr, but have just put my name down for the T3X CTR in 243 with a 10 round mag. due mid may apparently! $1915 worth of cliche'd wankspec rifle!! saving the big dollars for a thermal scope to sit on top
redders
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Ariat » 14 Apr 2016, 11:01 am

Is the triangle the only shape they're allowed to use at the Tikka marketing department?

Stick a big picture it we can see, it's making my eyes hurt :lol:
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by crows2332 » 14 Apr 2016, 6:27 pm

Howdy,

I've been keeping my eye out for a 2nd hand Tikka T3, Varmint Stainless 24" barrel, 1in8 twist myself. Seems to be lots of 2nd hand 1in12 twists that come up for sale, or 1in8 with scopes they don't want to separate the package, and not a scope I'm after.

i didn't like the new price of the Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless, as you have mentioned, seems ridiculous, but a 2nd hand one with a handful or rounds through for $800 to $950 that comes up from time to time, sounded a fairer price.

I had hoped the T3X Tikka being available soon or now, might have pushed 2nd hand T3 prices down more, or more people picking up a new T3X and then on-selling the T3 1in8 twists for more available to pick up.
Doesn't seem to have happened yet.

To clarify, can't you top feed the T3 mag at all, no after market accessory to do so or anything?
Any idea if either the T3 or T3X be easily single fed, not for loading the mag, but for some basic range use where single feed is the rule of thumb there?

I've seen a bobsled mag accessory for the T3 that allows it to be single fed, so that made me think it may not single feed by default, with or without the mag?

Cheers

Crows2332
crows2332
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by happyhunter » 14 Apr 2016, 6:43 pm

Sako yes, I'd pay that price but how they get away with a charging top dollar for a cheaply made budget brand rifle like the Tikka shows effective the marketing is.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 14 Apr 2016, 6:46 pm

happyhunter wrote:Sako yes, I'd pay that price but how they get away with a charging top dollar for a cheaply made budget brand rifle like the Tikka shows effective the marketing is.

Totally agree. If your paying that much for a Tikka, just lash out another few hundred for the Sako Varmint. A couple of years ago, the Sako Varmint was going for $1800. :crazy: :wtf:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Sam45 » 14 Apr 2016, 7:11 pm

Overpriced now :thumbsdown: Oh and all the buzz words :wtf:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 14 Apr 2016, 7:17 pm

Gwion wrote:
happyhunter wrote:Sako yes, I'd pay that price but how they get away with a charging top dollar for a cheaply made budget brand rifle like the Tikka shows effective the marketing is.

Totally agree. If your paying that much for a Tikka, just lash out another few hundred for the Sako Varmint. A couple of years ago, the Sako Varmint was going for $1800. :crazy: :wtf:

You better go price a Sako varmint if you think it's just a few hundred more than a tikka, more like nearly double

Of course the Sako is a "better" rifle but they both use the same barrels and there's no way I'm paying nearly $3K

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 14 Apr 2016, 7:39 pm

Chronos wrote:
Gwion wrote:

You better go price a Sako varmint if you think it's just a few hundred more than a tikka, more like nearly double

Of course the Sako is a "better" rifle but they both use the same barrels and there's no way I'm paying nearly $3K

Chronos

They cost nowhere near 3 grand. $2200 retail but I've seen them on special for as low as 18 hundy. A lot of different brand rifles use the same barrel because not all gun builders make barrels. Divide the cost in dollars by the years a rifle is in service I still can't see how paying current Tikka prices justifies not buying a Sako instead. You get so much more for you dough with the Sako.

But then, they are all owned by Beretta Holdings anyway. Soylent green anyone?
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by crows2332 » 14 Apr 2016, 8:12 pm

Howdy happyhunter/Gwion,

Definitely hear you on the ridiculous price new for the Tikkas. Another rort in the industry!

I had thought I'd only contemplate them (tikka), if it was a good 2nd hand price, and low mileage/limited use. Definitely prefer them 2nd hand at $800 to $900 for a Stainless Varmint than the $1400. Think that's a more realistic price! Although, that's probably the price of a new howa 1500 Varmint Stainless. Interesting comparison at that point?
crows2332
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Chronos » 14 Apr 2016, 8:19 pm

happyhunter wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Gwion wrote:

Chronos

They cost nowhere near 3 grand. $2200 retail but I've seen them on special for as low as 18 hundy. A lot of different brand rifles use the same barrel because not all gun builders make barrels. Divide the cost in dollars by the years a rifle is in service I still can't see how paying current Tikka prices justifies not buying a Sako instead. You get so much more for you dough with the Sako.

sorry mate, I googled a sako varmint stainless and came up with a price $2875 at my lgs but on checking it was a stainless laminate with a set trigger

Sako85 Hunter Blued Wood $ 2300.00 versus Tikka T3 Hunter Walnut Stock Blued Barrel Left Handed $ 1375.00

Sako85 Hunter Stainless Wood Stock $ 2350.00 versus Tikka T3 Hunter Stainless Barrel Walnut Stock $ 1375.00

basically $1000 for a better mag system and 3 lugs for what ever that's worth, frankly i just don't see it. I'd rather have a tikka with a swaro than a sako with a burris :friends:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 14 Apr 2016, 8:48 pm

Chronos wrote:
happyhunter wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Gwion wrote:

Chronos

sorry mate, I googled a sako varmint stainless and came up with a price $2875 at my lgs but on checking it was a stainless laminate with a set trigger

Sako85 Hunter Blued Wood $ 2300.00 versus Tikka T3 Hunter Walnut Stock Blued Barrel Left Handed $ 1375.00

Sako85 Hunter Stainless Wood Stock $ 2350.00 versus Tikka T3 Hunter Stainless Barrel Walnut Stock $ 1375.00

basically $1000 for a better mag system and 3 lugs for what ever that's worth, frankly i just don't see it. I'd rather have a tikka with a swaro than a sako with a burris :friends:

Chronos

Chronos
This is what it comes down to for me time and time again the biggest thing that keeps me stepping away from the tikka is the inability to top load. I do 99% of my shooting at the range i havent been lucky enough to get out to do some ferals in. I spent a great deal of time looking at both the tikka and a sako and to honestly decided to go for the sako and i have no regrets.

Dont get me wrong at some point i will get myself a tikka however there will always be that thought at the back of my head to get another sako.

I cant fault my Sako i love the thing but always think what if they changed a few things on the tikka in particular the feeding of the mag the abundance of plastic really takes away from what i feel the toughness/ durabilty i have bad luck with plastic it always breaks. You can get other replacement parts to replace the bits of plastic but by the time you do all the replacements your probably $300 short of a sako

Oh and why not just put a swaro on the sako to tie it all together :drinks:
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 15 Apr 2016, 5:50 am

Chronos wrote:You better go price a Sako varmint if you think it's just a few hundred more than a tikka, more like nearly double

Chronos

I should have clarified that i was referring specifically to the post stating the someone was looking at a Tikka for around $1900 (CTR or something). If i was going to do that, i would just buy a Sako Varmint Laminate and cut the thing down to the size i wanted. As sTated, you can pick up a Sako Varmint for around the $2k mark, give or take depending on seller.

I understand people buying the Tikka at around $1000 or just over, but once you start getting up over $1500.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 15 Apr 2016, 5:53 am

redders wrote:I don't have a tikka either, just a pretty little browning bolt 17hmr, but have just put my name down for the T3X CTR in 243 with a 10 round mag. due mid may apparently! $1915 worth of cliche'd wankspec rifle!! saving the big dollars for a thermal scope to sit on top

This post!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 15 Apr 2016, 6:13 am

Chronos wrote:Sako85 Hunter Blued Wood $ 2300.00 versus Tikka T3 Hunter Walnut Stock Blued Barrel Left Handed $ 1375.00

Chronos

Actually, it's $1000 for a better mag system, three locking lugs, control round feed, top loading, cartridge specific action size to minimise unnecessary flex in the action, better stock, better fit and finish..... edit: oh yeah, recoil lug system too.....

I have used a mate's Tikka and it is a nice rifle but i'd buy other rifles in the $1000 price range and go for Sako once i was looking over $1500.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by redders » 15 Apr 2016, 9:59 am

That was close shave, thanks for the reality check!
So i was sucked in by the advertising and had some cash burning a hole in my pocket and wanted a new t3x, well buying a house put pay to the cash bit and you guys the reality check that was needed! So after checking around i found a cheaper price on a t3x closer to home, sunny coast, by about $80, ok not that much but still $1800ish but the big kicker was the nv scope i was going to put on it. There's big new store in brisvegas that wanted $2400 for the exact same thing that i could buy for $1900 elsewhere and they wouldn't budge on their price so i have opted for a 243 t3 lite stainless with a vortex 3.5-10x50 for my hunting.So while the bank relieves me of all my hard earned savings , the pump on my intercooler s**t its self, the dog has pneumonia and the wife is off to run the london marathon! Happy Days
redders
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 15 Apr 2016, 1:29 pm

happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by dugachelli » 15 Apr 2016, 10:31 pm

I have 3 x Tikka t3 varmint SS in .308, .243, .223.............love all three, beautiful, glad I got em, just love em!
dugachelli
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 15 Apr 2016, 11:11 pm

I have 3 x Tikka t3 varmint SS in .308, .243, .223.............love all three, beautiful, glad I got em, just love em!

And this is all that really matters, if you love it then who cares what brand it is. I'm just as likely to grab a Weatherby as I am a Sako, Savage, Ruger, DTA or Marlin when I go shooting, each has a purpose and I like them all. My favourite is whatever is in my hand at the time :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 15 Apr 2016, 11:54 pm

brett1868 wrote:

And this is all that really matters, if you love it then who cares what brand it is. I'm just as likely to grab a Weatherby as I am a Sako, Savage, Ruger, DTA or Marlin when I go shooting, each has a purpose and I like them all. My favourite is whatever is in my hand at the time :)

Funny you say that Brett, I recently purchased a couple of break action single shots and for all the talk about 10 shot mags and top feeding I'm loving them. I wouldn't hesitate to grab one of them for a hunt, to go for a plink or shoot some groups.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 16 Apr 2016, 3:32 pm

Variety is the spice of life. 3 x the same rifle seems a bit O.C.D, but then horses for courses.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by brett1868 » 16 Apr 2016, 7:32 pm

happyhunter wrote:Variety is the spice of life. 3 x the same rifle seems a bit O.C.D, but then horses for courses.

Nah...Makes perfect sense especially if they have matching scopes and reticles. Not to forgot that the only thing better then twins is triplets :lol:

I have 4 dedicated "hunting" rifles, a pair of Weatherby Mk5's and a pair of Sako 85's and they all have the same scopes fitted. Familiarity is great for a lazy mind like mine, I'm getting old and don't adapt as fast as I used to :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles