Tikka T3X??

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Tikka T3X??

Post by Chronos » 14 Apr 2016, 8:19 pm

happyhunter wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Gwion wrote:
happyhunter wrote:Sako yes, I'd pay that price but how they get away with a charging top dollar for a cheaply made budget brand rifle like the Tikka shows effective the marketing is.

Totally agree. If your paying that much for a Tikka, just lash out another few hundred for the Sako Varmint. A couple of years ago, the Sako Varmint was going for $1800. :crazy: :wtf:

You better go price a Sako varmint if you think it's just a few hundred more than a tikka, more like nearly double

Of course the Sako is a "better" rifle but they both use the same barrels and there's no way I'm paying nearly $3K

Chronos

They cost nowhere near 3 grand. $2200 retail but I've seen them on special for as low as 18 hundy. A lot of different brand rifles use the same barrel because not all gun builders make barrels. Divide the cost in dollars by the years a rifle is in service I still can't see how paying current Tikka prices justifies not buying a Sako instead. You get so much more for you dough with the Sako.

But then, they are all owned by Beretta Holdings anyway. Soylent green anyone?

sorry mate, I googled a sako varmint stainless and came up with a price $2875 at my lgs but on checking it was a stainless laminate with a set trigger

Sako85 Hunter Blued Wood $ 2300.00 versus Tikka T3 Hunter Walnut Stock Blued Barrel Left Handed $ 1375.00

Sako85 Hunter Stainless Wood Stock $ 2350.00 versus Tikka T3 Hunter Stainless Barrel Walnut Stock $ 1375.00

basically $1000 for a better mag system and 3 lugs for what ever that's worth, frankly i just don't see it. I'd rather have a tikka with a swaro than a sako with a burris :friends:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 14 Apr 2016, 8:48 pm

Chronos wrote:
happyhunter wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Gwion wrote:
happyhunter wrote:Sako yes, I'd pay that price but how they get away with a charging top dollar for a cheaply made budget brand rifle like the Tikka shows effective the marketing is.

Totally agree. If your paying that much for a Tikka, just lash out another few hundred for the Sako Varmint. A couple of years ago, the Sako Varmint was going for $1800. :crazy: :wtf:

You better go price a Sako varmint if you think it's just a few hundred more than a tikka, more like nearly double

Of course the Sako is a "better" rifle but they both use the same barrels and there's no way I'm paying nearly $3K

Chronos

They cost nowhere near 3 grand. $2200 retail but I've seen them on special for as low as 18 hundy. A lot of different brand rifles use the same barrel because not all gun builders make barrels. Divide the cost in dollars by the years a rifle is in service I still can't see how paying current Tikka prices justifies not buying a Sako instead. You get so much more for you dough with the Sako.

But then, they are all owned by Beretta Holdings anyway. Soylent green anyone?

sorry mate, I googled a sako varmint stainless and came up with a price $2875 at my lgs but on checking it was a stainless laminate with a set trigger

Sako85 Hunter Blued Wood $ 2300.00 versus Tikka T3 Hunter Walnut Stock Blued Barrel Left Handed $ 1375.00

Sako85 Hunter Stainless Wood Stock $ 2350.00 versus Tikka T3 Hunter Stainless Barrel Walnut Stock $ 1375.00

basically $1000 for a better mag system and 3 lugs for what ever that's worth, frankly i just don't see it. I'd rather have a tikka with a swaro than a sako with a burris :friends:

Chronos

Chronos
This is what it comes down to for me time and time again the biggest thing that keeps me stepping away from the tikka is the inability to top load. I do 99% of my shooting at the range i havent been lucky enough to get out to do some ferals in. I spent a great deal of time looking at both the tikka and a sako and to honestly decided to go for the sako and i have no regrets.

Dont get me wrong at some point i will get myself a tikka however there will always be that thought at the back of my head to get another sako.

I cant fault my Sako i love the thing but always think what if they changed a few things on the tikka in particular the feeding of the mag the abundance of plastic really takes away from what i feel the toughness/ durabilty i have bad luck with plastic it always breaks. You can get other replacement parts to replace the bits of plastic but by the time you do all the replacements your probably $300 short of a sako

Oh and why not just put a swaro on the sako to tie it all together :drinks:
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 15 Apr 2016, 5:50 am

Chronos wrote:You better go price a Sako varmint if you think it's just a few hundred more than a tikka, more like nearly double

Chronos

I should have clarified that i was referring specifically to the post stating the someone was looking at a Tikka for around $1900 (CTR or something). If i was going to do that, i would just buy a Sako Varmint Laminate and cut the thing down to the size i wanted. As sTated, you can pick up a Sako Varmint for around the $2k mark, give or take depending on seller.

I understand people buying the Tikka at around $1000 or just over, but once you start getting up over $1500.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 15 Apr 2016, 5:53 am

redders wrote:I don't have a tikka either, just a pretty little browning bolt 17hmr, but have just put my name down for the T3X CTR in 243 with a 10 round mag. due mid may apparently! $1915 worth of cliche'd wankspec rifle!! saving the big dollars for a thermal scope to sit on top

This post!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 15 Apr 2016, 6:13 am

Chronos wrote:Sako85 Hunter Blued Wood $ 2300.00 versus Tikka T3 Hunter Walnut Stock Blued Barrel Left Handed $ 1375.00

Chronos

Actually, it's $1000 for a better mag system, three locking lugs, control round feed, top loading, cartridge specific action size to minimise unnecessary flex in the action, better stock, better fit and finish..... edit: oh yeah, recoil lug system too.....

I have used a mate's Tikka and it is a nice rifle but i'd buy other rifles in the $1000 price range and go for Sako once i was looking over $1500.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by redders » 15 Apr 2016, 9:59 am

That was close shave, thanks for the reality check!
So i was sucked in by the advertising and had some cash burning a hole in my pocket and wanted a new t3x, well buying a house put pay to the cash bit and you guys the reality check that was needed! So after checking around i found a cheaper price on a t3x closer to home, sunny coast, by about $80, ok not that much but still $1800ish but the big kicker was the nv scope i was going to put on it. There's big new store in brisvegas that wanted $2400 for the exact same thing that i could buy for $1900 elsewhere and they wouldn't budge on their price so i have opted for a 243 t3 lite stainless with a vortex 3.5-10x50 for my hunting.So while the bank relieves me of all my hard earned savings , the pump on my intercooler s**t its self, the dog has pneumonia and the wife is off to run the london marathon! Happy Days
redders
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 15 Apr 2016, 1:29 pm

happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by dugachelli » 15 Apr 2016, 10:31 pm

I have 3 x Tikka t3 varmint SS in .308, .243, .223.............love all three, beautiful, glad I got em, just love em!
dugachelli
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 15 Apr 2016, 11:11 pm

I have 3 x Tikka t3 varmint SS in .308, .243, .223.............love all three, beautiful, glad I got em, just love em!

And this is all that really matters, if you love it then who cares what brand it is. I'm just as likely to grab a Weatherby as I am a Sako, Savage, Ruger, DTA or Marlin when I go shooting, each has a purpose and I like them all. My favourite is whatever is in my hand at the time :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 15 Apr 2016, 11:54 pm

brett1868 wrote:

And this is all that really matters, if you love it then who cares what brand it is. I'm just as likely to grab a Weatherby as I am a Sako, Savage, Ruger, DTA or Marlin when I go shooting, each has a purpose and I like them all. My favourite is whatever is in my hand at the time :)

Funny you say that Brett, I recently purchased a couple of break action single shots and for all the talk about 10 shot mags and top feeding I'm loving them. I wouldn't hesitate to grab one of them for a hunt, to go for a plink or shoot some groups.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 16 Apr 2016, 3:32 pm

Variety is the spice of life. 3 x the same rifle seems a bit O.C.D, but then horses for courses.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by brett1868 » 16 Apr 2016, 7:32 pm

happyhunter wrote:Variety is the spice of life. 3 x the same rifle seems a bit O.C.D, but then horses for courses.

Nah...Makes perfect sense especially if they have matching scopes and reticles. Not to forgot that the only thing better then twins is triplets :lol:

I have 4 dedicated "hunting" rifles, a pair of Weatherby Mk5's and a pair of Sako 85's and they all have the same scopes fitted. Familiarity is great for a lazy mind like mine, I'm getting old and don't adapt as fast as I used to :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by crows2332 » 08 May 2016, 3:15 pm

Heard from an LGS last week, that with the arrival of the Tikka T3X, the T3's that are left in stock, may be coming with a T3X mod kit, including metal bolt shroud, some other stock adaptions, approx $250 or more worth of kit, not sure on metal recoil lug, and nothing with ejection port, but that kit, on top of the discounted to clear price of the T3's that are happening, it may be of interest to some, who were already toying with T3X or T3 comparison for their next purchase, but are not wanting to wait however many months until the particular T3X model coming in is available.
crows2332
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles