First rifle newb post

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

First rifle newb post

Post by Shadd » 16 Mar 2016, 7:09 pm

Hey guys I'm looking for a modestly priced .223 hunting rifle but I don't really know what's good my old man had a .222 Remington ages ago and isn't really up to date with all the new rifles and whatnot. I'm looking to go after rabbits/hares, goats ,foxes and maybe deer but nothing larger for now I'm going for my licence soonish just looking for a few tips and recommendations for a new hunter
'Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night and when you move,fall like the thunderbolt.' ~ Sun Tzu
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: First rifle newb post

Post by sandgroperbill » 16 Mar 2016, 11:22 pm

Personal preference. There are plenty of good quality affordable rifles out there, go fondle some, shoulder them, see how they feel and balance. What is right for you isn't neccessarily right for the next person and vice versa, but finding something that fits you just right is the most important thing.

I would suggest that 1:8 or 1:9 will give you more versatility than 1:12, though, so definitely ask about the twist of each rifle.

Finally, it also depends on where and how you'll be using the rifle, what ranges, open paddocks or bush? Etc.

To get you started, here are a few good choices (in no particular order) that won't break the bank:

Ruger American
Tikka T3 (or T3x shortly)
Howa 1500
Weatherby vanguard
Browning a bolt or x bolt
CZ
TC venture

Basically, everyone makes .223s, so you're spoled for choice
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 16 Mar 2016, 11:23 pm

Oh, and :welcome:
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by MickGC » 16 Mar 2016, 11:31 pm

Gday Shadd,
I myself am also just getting into this, having recently got my licence.
I got a Howa 1500 mini action in 223. I am really happy with it so far.
Still yet to get it out hunting but tried it a few times at the range and its great.
only bad thing i found on it was the magazine release clip is a bit light, and you have to make sure the magazine is in firm.
MickGC
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 17 Mar 2016, 2:50 am

A 223 Remington bolt-action is not a box I've filled, yet, mine are all semis. but I would not rule out Remingtons, at least the Model 700 and Model 7, nor any of the offerings from Savage Arms.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 17 Mar 2016, 6:39 am

Some argue that the .222 is a more accurate shooter for pests and small game.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 17 Mar 2016, 7:31 am

Buy a Howa. They feed smoothly, they're accurate, they have a relatively good factory trigger, they're cheap but not at all nasty. They're not as pretty as other rifles but they work.

Just my opinion.

Regards
Luke
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 17 Mar 2016, 8:19 am

Welcome to the forum mate. If you ever see yourself taking game at slightly longer distances or taking slightly larger game you may consider a .22-250. There's a thread on here about the differences between the .223 and .22-250 that you can search out.

Any of the entry level rifles available today should be sufficiently accurate for your needs. You can get a Zastava stainless/ synthetic in standard cals for about $500. They're a Mauser action, good and solid just probably won't be the smoothest rifle ever but sufficiently accurate. Good value for a first rifle.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 17 Mar 2016, 8:55 am

The only problem i have had with my Howa is the bolt top is held on by a very small screw; so don't slam the bolt back to much or it can break. :oops:

The Zastava has been good so far. It did need some smoothing out with working the bolt. Good action, just a little rough on the final finish. That's why they're so cheap, i guess. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Shadd » 17 Mar 2016, 10:21 am

Thanks guys wasn't expecting this much help haha. As for terrain I guess open paddocks hilly terrain and bush my old mans rem was a 788 if I recall with hand loads which I'm gunna learn how to do eventually, As for twist rates is that 9 twists in the barrel per inch or am I way of the mark? And thanks I'll look up a .22 250 baldrick. What caliber is legal for deer then I thought they would fall under the Same category as goat, well I guess after some time I may step up in caliber but not for awhile don't wanna waste that precious money on something I'm not ready for/don't like I'll look up your suggestions. Guys seems like a lot of people like the Howa and the tikka lol
'Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night and when you move,fall like the thunderbolt.' ~ Sun Tzu
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 17 Mar 2016, 12:11 pm

Agree with Gwion about the zastava. I have an Interarms Whitworth mark X (zastava) built in 1976 awesome action zastava have been building mausers for a very long time won't go wrong with a zasty they're reliable and there is heaps of aftermarket stuff for them.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 17 Mar 2016, 12:53 pm

Hi Shadd,
yeah lots of choices out there , maybe even look at a sakoA7. Some of the American rifles in that price range tend to be a little on the rough side, for example Savage barrels tend to be a bit rough and if you intend on breaking it in well you will probably have your work cut out for you.
I also think that for real value for money, accuracy and finish the tikka t3 or the Howa 1500 are an excellent choice...when it comes to twist rate ,my sako has a 12 and with it I have nailed Bugs out to 450yds with it using 55gn bullets. Check out my youtube channel under SA Feral Shooter, lots of vids on bunnies being nailed past 300 and even 400yds with the .223
welcome and best of luck,
Sean.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 17 Mar 2016, 1:00 pm

If your old man already reloads for .222 you should seriously consider a .222. Excellent cartridge, and you could learn to reload with your old man. The downside is that the range of new rifles dwindles considerably for .222, but still some very good choices available out there
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Shadd » 17 Mar 2016, 1:49 pm

I've seen one of your vids Elmer I would get a sako but I want a modestly price rifle =) The old man stopped shooting 20 years ago I don't think he has anymore 222 rounds left sandgroper nor his rifle I've looked at the Howa 1500 and I gotta say it looks nice id like a thumb hole stock aswell if it's possible http://gunreviews.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/SPORTER.jpg Something like that but I'm not sure if it's legal or not in nsw
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bosbefok » 17 Mar 2016, 4:39 pm

Hi Shad, here in NSW the legal minimum for goats and smaller deer is .243. For larger deer you should use anything larger than .270. No doubt a quality, well placed .223 round will get the job done on smaller deer and goats. As for the rifle, it depends on your budget and preference. Go to your LGS and check out a few and pick your favourite. I would like a FN TSR in .223
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Shadd » 17 Mar 2016, 7:12 pm

Ahh okay thanks bosbefok guess I'll stick to foxes and rabbits/hares. Then get a 308 for anything bigger then I can chase pig if I ever feel like it any word on there stock in the link if it's legal or not
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 17 Mar 2016, 8:47 pm

As for twist rates is that 9 twists in the barrel per inch or am I way of the mark?

Nah mate, it means the rifling does a full 360 degree rotation every 9 inches along the bore, so the bullet rotates once every 9 inches. If you had an 18 inch barrel, the bullet would rotate twice before it leaves the muzzle. You need a faster twist to stabilize heavier (actually, longer) bullets but for hunting with a 22 cal you will rarely need heavier than a 55 grain bullet so 1:12 is fine. It;s actually possible to over stabilise ptojectiles with too fast a twist rate and they start doing funny things at longer ranges.

Shame your dad's 788 isn't available as that would a fine rifle to own. If you did decide on a 222 there are plenty of used Sako/Tikka/Remington/CZ and other fine quality rifles chambered for it that would last you a life time. Most 222s are 1:14 twist and optimal for 50 grain bullets although my ancient Anschutz 1530 has a short 1:12" twist barrel and shoots 55 and 63 grain bullets no worries.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Mar 2016, 9:35 pm

Bosbefok wrote:Hi Shad, here in NSW the legal minimum for goats and smaller deer is .243. For larger deer you should use anything larger than .270. No doubt a quality, well placed .223 round will get the job done on smaller deer and goats. As for the rifle, it depends on your budget and preference. Go to your LGS and check out a few and pick your favourite. I would like a FN TSR in .223

You sure about that? got any links to that info?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Shadd » 17 Mar 2016, 11:13 pm

Thanks happy hunter yeah I thought as much sorry I didn't word that right haha, It was supposed to be 9 bullet rotations per inch lol not 9 twists in the actual barrel I may be young but damn not that young lol. Anyways thanks for clearing it up so 1:12 or a 1:9 are both good rotation rates then so it's 1 bullet rotation per 9 or 12 inches.
Well after I get my licence I'll head to the gun shop and start to hold them and whatnot to get a feel for one I like although I like the look of the Howa 1500. Again thanks guys for your input and recommendations
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Supporter » 18 Mar 2016, 3:08 pm

Shadd wrote:What caliber is legal for deer then I thought they would fall under the Same category as goat

Nope.

Deer are "game".

Goats are "pests". As are basically everything else. Pigs, feral cats and dogs, foxes, rabbits...

Which is stupid frankly as deer are an introduced pest but they just arbitrarily decided to make them into a revenue raiser. Anyway...

Minimum calibre for deer in NSW is .243 for Chital, Fallow and Hog.

And .270 for Red, Rusa and Sambar.

Shadd wrote:seems like a lot of people like the Howa and the tikka lol

Both have a reputation for quality and being accurate out of the box. The Howa price point is very nice as well.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Mar 2016, 7:18 pm

Supporter wrote:
Shadd wrote:What caliber is legal for deer then I thought they would fall under the Same category as goat

Nope.

Deer are "game".

Goats are "pests". As are basically everything else. Pigs, feral cats and dogs, foxes, rabbits...

Which is stupid frankly as deer are an introduced pest but they just arbitrarily decided to make them into a revenue raiser. Anyway...

Both have a reputation for quality and being accurate out of the box. The Howa price point is very nice as well.

Any links mate, always good to see it written in black and white so to speak or is it just a recommendation you are talking about? :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by yoshie » 18 Mar 2016, 7:27 pm

"As for twist rates is that 9 twists in the barrel per inch or am I way of the mark?"

One twist per 9 inches
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Mar 2016, 7:33 pm

yoshie wrote:"As for twist rates is that 9 twists in the barrel per inch or am I way of the mark?"

One twist per 9 inches

imagine if it was 9 twists in 1" man would those projectiles have to be bloody well put together - I reckon they'd just about disintegrate in the tube :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Mar 2016, 8:06 pm

Supporter wrote:

Nope.

Deer are "game".

Mate I just asked my learned friends over on AHN and there is no minimum legal cal for deer in NSW - the 243, is just a recommendation the Game Council put out a few years back, so any cal is legal (obviously a 22 wouldn't be a good idea so use some common sense) but any half decent centrefire would suit including the 223 but again common sense should be applied when it comes to shot placement (head/neck shot and distance etc and work within your limitations. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Shadd » 18 Mar 2016, 8:13 pm

:P Just make em out of titanium lol just buy 500 or so and then look at your negative bank account haha.
Psh stupid red tape, Where I use to live there was so many they would be in your backyard every night. And almost cause accidents on the road, should be classed as pest like all the others....
On another note are roos classed as pest or game.
My old man used to take deer with his .222 but he was accurate as hell
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Mar 2016, 8:27 pm

Shadd wrote::P Just make em out of titanium lol just buy 500 or so and then look at your negative bank account haha.
Psh stupid red tape, Where I use to live there was so many they would be in your backyard every night. And almost cause accidents on the road, should be classed as pest like all the others....
On another note are roos classed as pest or game.
My old man used to take deer with his .222 but he was accurate as hell

Yeah millions of deer have been taken with the mighty little 222 and still are from what I hear (I think it's still a favourite cal for roe deer in Scotland) but not 100% sure on that. Pro heli shooters used to use the 222 in NZ from memory.

End of the day if you shoot em in the right spot they will go down without having to use a cannon on em, shot placement is key (204 knocks em well - headshots) :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 19 Mar 2016, 1:10 am

The 22 center-fire rounds have been legal for deer hunting in Oklahoma for a few years now, basically the 223 and bigger rounds, but you have to use heavier bullets 65 grains or more and they must be soft point or hollow point.

Interestingly back in the antediluvian days, by that I mean the 1960s or early 1970s, I recall reading an article in one of the old sporting magazines, written by an Alaskan bush-pilot/trapper, where he related a tale of an Eskimo, now would be referred to as an Inuit or native Alaskan, who used a single rifle to hunt everything from otter to polar bear. And that single gun was a scoped Winchester Model 70 in 22 Hornet. I recall that 40 grain full metal jacket bullets were what he used and that head shots were the norm..
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 19 Mar 2016, 1:20 am

The man with one gun...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Mar 2016, 5:03 am

What's that saying ... Be wary of the man with only one gun, for he will more than likely know how to use it! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sender » 04 Apr 2016, 11:01 am

Unless he has a 300 win mag. Then he just bought it because he thought it was cool :lol:
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles