first rifle for a newbie

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: first rifle for a newbie

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Apr 2016, 8:34 am

Gwion wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
MR. WINCHESTER wrote:
WayneO wrote:The .22 Magnum is a great little caliber, but ammo is not cheap and its not easy to get. Its also too much of one thing and not enough of the other. If you want a .22 to run at crazy speeds, gets a hornet.

I reckon the Hornet is too loud for a new chum.

IMHO / experience, the .22 Mag is the 'biggest' round, one can use without hearing protection.

.... another reason the .22 mag is an ideal choice for the Newbie.

:lol: :lol: :lol: first firearm I used was a 303 and no hearing protection, it didn't worry me at all and I was only around 8yrs old at the time :D

Huh??? Pardon? What was that??? Eh? Speak up sonny!!! :unknown: :lol: :D

LOL nothing wrong with my hearing, had tests a while back and all good, despite all the M60, SLR, M16's and grenades :lol: (it's a wonder I'm not mutton jeff after all that to be honest :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 01 Apr 2016, 6:53 pm

I always wear hearing protectors when shooting. Even will use them hunting if possible.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by WayneO » 01 Apr 2016, 8:36 pm

I have a 1938 Obendorf Mauser in .22LR in South Africa fitted with a suppressor, and its one of the most amazing weapons I have ever owned. With Sub-Sonic ammo the animals hardly get disturbed at the shots.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sarki » 13 Apr 2016, 3:15 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:It's night and day between the mag and it's insipid cousin - the .22 LR.

GREAT round for a newbie and dynamite on foxes and bunnies.

Except not usable at many indoor / suburban ranges.

Worth mentioning for newbies who may want to brush up at the range.
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 13 Apr 2016, 8:10 pm

22 Hornet is a sweet little cartridge. Good out to 150 yards on coyotes, what I guess to be the American equivalent to the dingo. And probably further on rabbits and prairie dogs if you can hit them. Me I'm more limited to range by my marksmanship than by the cartridge.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 13 Apr 2016, 8:29 pm

22 Hornet is excellent, 22 K Hornet even better but the ammo is expensive so unless the new shooter wants to get straight into handloading I'm not sure the 22 hornet would be the best choice.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 13 Apr 2016, 8:37 pm

happyhunter wrote:22 Hornet is excellent, 22 K Hornet even better but the ammo is expensive so unless the new shooter wants to get straight into handloading I'm not sure the 22 hornet would be the best choice.

Does your recommendation include the fact, that a newbie needs / should, practice A LOT and the report of a Hornet would be somewhat limiting ?

Do you not consider a rimfire, more appropriate for a new chum ?
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by adam » 13 Apr 2016, 9:18 pm

deanfish wrote:I know most people start with a .22 and then upgrade but is there something similar that I would be less likely to out grow?
I like the idea of having a .22 for the cost per round factor but is there a big difference between that and the next level rifles?

Outgrow a .22? Never!

Complement a .22 with a centrefire, shotgun, etc later - definitely... but I still fire more rounds out of a .22 than any other. Yes - I'd grab something else for a primary hunt but .22 is always handy as others have said for plinking, practicing, honing skills... they're just damn fun.

Buy a good .22 to start with and you'll have it for life.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 14 Apr 2016, 1:08 am

I didn't outgrow .22, the price of it outgrew me. It's now around 1/2 the price of 9m and 1/3 the price of 5.56 around here. That's just fine if you want to shoot a few foxes or fire 50 rounds at a 50 foot target, but I was buying it for blasting and a component of handgun practice. It's less bang for the buck now but still has a place.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by GLS_1956 » 14 Apr 2016, 4:07 am

Now Mr. Winchester, I personally consider a 22LR appropriate for everyone from first timer to long timer. Personally I own more 22 rimfires, rifles and handguns, than any other caliber, I missed getting a 22 smoothbore.

But I was commenting on the point, fact to me, that the 22 Hornet is a great little round. Harder to find in common stock at most small and chain gun/sporting good stores but still available and at least here in the USA when found it is sold in 50 round boxes.
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 14 Apr 2016, 7:27 am

42 cents per round is more than .223, though

http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/.22+Hornet

I've never shot it, I guess it might be a little quieter without a can.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 14 Apr 2016, 7:54 am

Title_II wrote:42 cents per round is more than .223, though

Not in Australia, it isn't.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 14 Apr 2016, 7:59 am

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:
happyhunter wrote:22 Hornet is excellent, 22 K Hornet even better but the ammo is expensive so unless the new shooter wants to get straight into handloading I'm not sure the 22 hornet would be the best choice.

Does your recommendation include the fact, that a newbie needs / should, practice A LOT and the report of a Hornet would be somewhat limiting ?

Do you not consider a rimfire, more appropriate for a new chum ?

Did you actually read the post?
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 14 Apr 2016, 8:59 am

Probably not as well as I should have ...

( am a busy boy. Lol )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Apr 2016, 10:12 am

I like the blue one.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Elek » 11 Aug 2016, 4:06 pm

Title_II wrote:42 cents per round is more than .223, though

Hope you never have to live with Australian ammo prices there :problem:
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Nalla Rehctelf » 17 Aug 2016, 7:12 pm

Does any one have a stainless Marlin XT 22 TSR.
If so what does it shoot like. Say at 50m to 80m?
Nalla Rehctelf
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 18 Aug 2016, 9:47 pm

If you want to learn to shoot, I mean really master the art of marksmanship (across all stances), you need something that's super cheap and pleasurable to practice with (a lot). Can't go past a nice 22lr bolt. If you're intent on centerfire, how about 38sp/357? These are also damn cheap to run - you could even splurge and get a nice lever with a tang. Hot 357 hunting loads are effective up to medium-sized Aussie game, so the caliber is pretty scalable. The option of handloading is always there too; carbide dies in a progressive press FTW!

Shooting lead instead of jacketed in these calibers will teach you a lot about trajectories - something I feel is super important for beginners. Is a shame new shooters are so quick to jump into the fast, flat cartridges these days (like the 223) - it makes things super simple, and really hides you from a lot of the nuances of markmanship and ballistics.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Garth » 18 Aug 2016, 10:56 pm

22mag good little rifles good for first rifle
Garth
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by chacka » 25 Aug 2016, 11:02 am

in2anity wrote:Shooting lead instead of jacketed in these calibers will teach you a lot about trajectories - something I feel is super important for beginners. Is a shame new shooters are so quick to jump into the fast, flat cartridges these days (like the 223) - it makes things super simple, and really hides you from a lot of the nuances of markmanship and ballistics.

Hmm, I wouldn't say that. There is nothing at all wrong with the .223 or learning on one.

If you're just plugging away at 100m and never mixing it up then maybe there's an element of truth in what you're saying, but that could be said of anything really.

With a fast twist .223 though you can load up for some long range shooting and it gives new shooters room to reach out further and get better with more challenging shooting.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 26 Aug 2016, 11:37 pm

chacka wrote:
in2anity wrote:Shooting lead instead of jacketed in these calibers will teach you a lot about trajectories - something I feel is super important for beginners. Is a shame new shooters are so quick to jump into the fast, flat cartridges these days (like the 223) - it makes things super simple, and really hides you from a lot of the nuances of markmanship and ballistics.

Hmm, I wouldn't say that. There is nothing at all wrong with the .223 or learning on one.

If you're just plugging away at 100m and never mixing it up then maybe there's an element of truth in what you're saying, but that could be said of anything really.

With a fast twist .223 though you can load up for some long range shooting and it gives new shooters room to reach out further and get better with more challenging shooting.

Well it's all relative to the size of the target isn't it - you don't need to reach out excessively to challenge yourself - take all the Olympic disciplines as examples of this. Scoring consecutive tens at 50m offhand is incredibly difficult. And how many of us have the luxury of being able to plink thousands of rounds at long distances? (In AUS that is) Percentage-wise, sweet f-all I say. Nope I stick by my sentiment; for the vast majority of us, if you wanna really learn to shoot (no I'm not talking bipod shooting), then you gotta pick something cheap (like a 22).

Don't get me wrong - the 223 is a kick-ass round, but for your average joe civilian starting out, youre better off practicing with something cheap and slow. You can always step up to 223 for hunting to simplify things later on; and f***k you'll appreciate it, so much more than if you immediately started on it. There's a reason 5.56mm is standard military - any monkey can point and hit a man sized target over a very long point-blank range without hardly a thought.

Yes, if you have easy and regular access to a variable long-distance range, 223 would be a good start. Unfortunately that's usually logistically a pretty rare convenience.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles