Puma Hunter (or Norinco Jw-15)

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Puma Hunter (or Norinco Jw-15)

Post by Heckler303 » 25 Mar 2016, 9:52 am

Well I meant to have posted this a while ago, but couldn't really find the time to. Without further a due, my new .22:

(hey I rhymed)

My nikko stirling 4x32:

5 shot magazine (seems to work really good, but I did one have case where I smacked a rim so hard to the back it got stuck)

I bought the whole rifle (scope and rings not included) for $240 from my LGS. I took it apart after I put around 30 rounds of Remington subsonic ammunition in it, giving me basically a ragged whole at 25m, gave it a cleanup and did my best to polish up the sear, lightened the trigger and modified it from a 2 stage to a 1 stage trigger. Also with some kero the whole of the receiver and trigger assembly was rid of the mysterious mystery oil.

And the bolt got a polish too:

So anyway, its a cheap rifle sure, pretty average nylon stock, rough as guts, but with the TLC I've been giving it, the little South American is a good rifle and surprisingly very accurate. It groups really well with subsonics of any kind, CCI mini mags and standard velocity and winchester power points. I'm still running more boxes of 22 through it, but currently the two king loads are the Mini Mags and the Remington Subsonics, both come in boxes of 100 for 12 dollars.

Some practice at the range running and gunning blasting highly dangerous water bottles disguised as wabbits proved that in a serious tactical bunny situation, it'll send them downrange wherever the crosshairs hold over.

Great value for money, good way to start your career of giving rifles TLC and just heaps of fun to shoot with. The bolt is a little rough when dry and new, I gave a good polishing on all the contact surfaces and an oiling of the mechanism so now it runs just a BRNO or a CZ. Thanks for reading
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Re: Puma Hunter (or Norinco Jw-15)

Post by No1Mk3 » 25 Mar 2016, 2:29 pm

G'day Heckler303,
Nice rabbit rifle, and as you say, great value for money. I bought it's "military" brother, the JW25, and whilst playing around a bit, fitted and used my BRNO 2 bolt in it, as well as the 10 shot BRNO mag, then took the Meopta Malov off a Model 1 and slotted straight on to the Norc! They really are an exact copy of the BRNO action. Mine shoots the Highland Target and RWS Field Line Subsonic very well, Happy Hunting.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 25 Mar 2016, 2:48 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Heckler303,
Nice rabbit rifle, and as you say, great value for money. I bought it's "military" brother, the JW25, and whilst playing around a bit, fitted and used my BRNO 2 bolt in it, as well as the 10 shot BRNO mag, then took the Meopta Malov off a Model 1 and slotted straight on to the Norc! They really are an exact copy of the BRNO action. Mine shoots the Highland Target and RWS Field Line Subsonic very well, Happy Hunting.

I took a look into those Jw-25s a lot, but I never had the money to really put aside for one. the 15 does me fine.

Have you done much TLC work on yours? I've sanded every rail and bumpy bit of my bolt and chamber as I can so I get a smoother movement, and autosol'd the whole bolt and inside. I'm even thinking of putting the barrel on the buffing wheel at some stage.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by pomemax » 26 Mar 2016, 12:12 am

The China North Industries Corporation, officially abbreviated as Norinco, is a Chinese company that manufactures vehicles (trucks, cars and motorcycles), machinery, optical-electronic products, oil field equipment, chemicals, light industrial products, explosives and blast materials, civil and military firearms and ammunition.
, the little South American is a good rifle and surprisingly very accurate I was just wondering where that came from
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 26 Mar 2016, 1:11 am

Looks very similar, save for the stock, to my CZ 455. Hope it shoots as well for you as the CZ does for me.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Harper » 31 Mar 2016, 12:41 pm

Heckler303 wrote:5 shot magazine (seems to work really good, but I did one have case where I smacked a rim so hard to the back it got stuck)

:thumbsup:

Better than so many of the crappy plastic ones.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Henri L'ever » 07 Jul 2022, 7:54 pm

Allo allo,
I started shooting 3 years ago (bench-rest only) and bought one of these straight away as a package deal for AU$295 with a Nikko Sterling scope (valued at AU$125 on its own). I have had many problems with it. Still not accurate at 50m. Will only shoot Eley Club .22LR ammo' (orange box $11) with any descent result. After some advice and instruction, I have floated the barrel with folded up pieces of alfoil, so I can now slide a $5 note between the barrel and the fore-grip. Are the mod's on the sear, trigger and the bolt you mentioned something an amateur like me could do at home? If so, could you please elaborate with some instructions and photos? Would be much appreciated if you have the time.
Regards,
Henri
Henri L'ever
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles