Pattern 14 in 303 Epps

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Pattern 14 in 303 Epps

Post by GLS_1956 » 10 Apr 2016, 12:17 pm

I remember talking to a Canadian who's father had a No4mk1 rebored to a 35/303 or 303-35 as you might put it, after the 303 bore got shot out. But I don't think he mentioned trying to increase the performance, just keep the rifle in service.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Bark » 12 Apr 2016, 2:07 pm

Varmtr wrote:Why 6.5 well just because I suppose.

Best reason for lots of stuff :D
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 17 Apr 2016, 9:25 pm

Id be very interested in seeing the finished product of the 6.5 Epps.............by all accounts it should be a versatile calibre for Aussie conditions and game........

There is just something about the odd ball cartridges and calibres that intrigues me...lol ,,,,the You build it, load it, shoot it thing is always good for the soul

COLLECTOR 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Varmtr » 18 Apr 2016, 6:58 pm

COLLECTOR 1 wrote:Id be very interested in seeing the finished product of the 6.5 Epps.............by all accounts it should be a versatile calibre for Aussie conditions and game........

There is just something about the odd ball cartridges and calibres that intrigues me...lol ,,,,the You build it, load it, shoot it thing is always good for the soul

COLLECTOR 1

Yeh I'm looking forward to getting it finished. Final decision is to either get CH4D in the states to make the dies to suit my reamer specs, or just use the reamer to make the dies here. Will be doing a bushing neck sizer, and a body die for the shoulder bump back also bullet seater.
Looking at giving the LRP matches a crack with it and see how it goes.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 18 Apr 2016, 11:56 pm

Id be using the reamer here .that way there will be no stuff ups......and you know its going to match the chambering exactly.

COLLECTOR 1
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Xerox » 21 Apr 2016, 8:59 am

Bark wrote:Best reason for lots of stuff :D

Why the heeeeell not :D
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Jun 2017, 2:54 pm

Tried some cast loads in her lately, and it shoots just as well with them as with jacketed projectiles. I'm using 180 gn round nose( no gas check), with just 2 gns of Trail boss for short range target practice, and shooting off hand, at 15 to 25 metres, I'm getting 9's and 10's on the paper. Bench rest produced another ragged hole. Maybe it's just a one off where everything came together, but this one amazing old rifle. Considering I got about 80 kg of wheel weights from a local tyre place ( for a six pack!), it's cheaper than a .22 to run.
All I've done is clean her up and float the barrel, as well as add a set of sling swivels, but nothing serious. I'm looking at fitting a target trigger to her in August, and am still tossing up about the cock on closing mod, but it shoots so well I'm reluctant to do any thing else. I wonder if my M17 actioned 303-25 will shoot as well........
Member-Deleted

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 19 Jun 2017, 10:40 pm

303/25 on an M17 action shoot like stink....and strong as....don't worry about the cock on closing mod...you really don't gain anything.

Take it out and just use it

Collector 1
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles