Newbie hunting/target rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Newbie hunting/target rifle

Post by Greyham » 26 Mar 2016, 11:25 am

So I'm about to go for my license test and I am researching rifles for hunting and target shooting.
Once I get my lisence I will be able to get my pops old .22 so I am looking at a 223 or a 22-250.

Can any of you recommend a good target and hunting rifle? I have been looking at:
ZASTAVA M85
Howa 1500
Weatherby Vanguard S2

I have been told a 1 in 9 barrel twist will be better for longer distance target shooting.

Is there a price difference between 223 and 22-250 ammunition? (I can't find much on the web for NSW)

Any help choosing between 223 and 22-250 would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot for any help, sorry if this has been asked before.

Graham.
Greyham
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Newbie hunting/target rifle

Post by No1Mk3 » 29 Mar 2016, 1:05 am

G'day Greyham,
Any of the 3 you mention would be a good basic hunting rifle that will produce good accuracy out to 500m. The Howa and the Weatherby are, for all intents and purposes, the same rifle, both made by Howa Japan, so quality is the same, just different twist rates and some small receiver changes. For target and long range work the Howa and Weatherby heavy barrel version would be best option, but becomes a tad heavy lugging around the paddocks. What twist rate you choose will be determined by exactly what you want to shoot, with most varminters preferring lighter pills at high velocity from a slower barrel like the Howa, but long range nuts liking the faster Weatherby with heavy pills, though my Howa HB 1:12 seems to shoot up to 60g quite happily. As for 22-250, unless you reload, there is a huge difference in price for ammo. The 22-250 also bangs more, but delivers heaps of energy from very fast bullets. Don't believe any of the "it will burnout the barrel quicker" nonsense some folk will try on, you won't be shooting fast enough to heat up the barrel to the point of excessive erosion, I have a Tikka M55 in 22-250 that has fired several thousand rounds and is still in great shape. So, for my 2 cents worth, forget the 22-250 for now, The Zastava has a 1:12 twist like the Howa, and be aware that Weatherby also has 1:12 prior to serial VB084281, if you look at 2nd hand rifles. Within the price range your considering, don't forget the Ruger K77RFP, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 29 Mar 2016, 6:32 am

If you're able to get out to St Mary's indoor range once licensed I can let you put a several shots downrange with a Howa 1500 Mini Action .223 and a Sako 85 22-250. Personally as a first centre fire I'd be looking at the .223 as it's cheaper to shoot whilst also being more than capable of accuracy.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 29 Mar 2016, 9:15 am

You can't go wrong with a Howa 1500 in .223
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 29 Mar 2016, 11:04 am

A good target AND hunting rifle? let me know when you find one.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Wm.Traynor » 29 Mar 2016, 1:22 pm

My 223 is a dedicated target rifle. The barrel is 30" long to make it develop enough velocity for 1000 yard shooting with 80 grain bullets. What sort of target shooting do you want to do?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 30 Mar 2016, 6:48 am

The .223 will be your best bet as a dual purpose round. I would put my money on a Howa 1500 or Weatherby vanguard S2. Weatherby is a bit nicer rifle but has the same quality barrels receiver etc. it's just finished nicer.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Vati » 05 Apr 2016, 3:58 pm

Greyham wrote:Is there a price difference between 223 and 22-250 ammunition? (I can't find much on the web for NSW)

Bullets are powders are the same price, 22-250 burns holds more powder though so will cost a few cents more per shot.

edit: that's based on consumable cost if you're reloading... are you?
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by WayneO » 06 Apr 2016, 5:39 pm

if you want a decent caliber for long range shooting out to 1000m and decent enough to take your smaller deer (legally) foxes, goats and pigs. Then I would take a good long look at the 6.5 x 55 Sweed. Yes I am biased, I own 3 of them and the one is my long range target rifle.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Greyham » 07 Apr 2016, 12:29 am

Wow thank you all so much!
After reading a whole lot I have my eyes set on the Howa 223 mini action in the light weight barrel.

My target shooting will be to learn/practice so I can hunt.
So I think the Howa will be a better option for hunting.

For how many rounds I think I will be using I don't think reloading will be much cheaper and I don't think I am good enough to see the difference yet. It's a big investment.

I think I will go for the 1-9 twist rate so I can shoot a little further.

Thanks you all for your help.
Greyham
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Greyham » 07 Apr 2016, 12:32 am

brett1868 wrote:If you're able to get out to St Mary's indoor range once licensed I can let you put a several shots downrange with a Howa 1500 Mini Action .223 and a Sako 85 22-250. Personally as a first centre fire I'd be looking at the .223 as it's cheaper to shoot whilst also being more than capable of accuracy.

Mate that would be awesome! I'll have my licence within the next two weeks so we can chat then. Can you pm me your number?
Greyham
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bark » 12 Apr 2016, 3:47 pm

brett1868 wrote:Personally as a first centre fire I'd be looking at the .223 as it's cheaper to shoot whilst also being more than capable of accuracy.

Yeah 223 is a great starter
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 12 Apr 2016, 7:45 pm

I've got to get myself a 223 bolt gun, my 223s are all semiautos. Maybe when I hit the Lottery.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by crows2332 » 14 Apr 2016, 4:09 pm

G'day Greyham,

If you haven't started your purchase yet, I received an email today with a special on 223's.

Howa 1500 Varmint 223Rem, 24" barrel, 1in9 Twist for $569 with bonus pic rail thrown in.

If price is an issue, the price of that one helps. Might be an option for you.

They charge $50 to courier the rifle to your LGS if you are not near them.

Message me for details if you like.

Cheers
crows2332
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by happyhunter » 14 Apr 2016, 5:36 pm

The Howa 1500 mini action is a great rifle for girls or younger people starting out. They shoot ok, are really inexpensive and feel like a toy. Really light weight but poor quality finish. I'd take the standard 1500 over the mini but that's personal preference and a Browning abolt2 Hunter in 223 over both the Howas.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by rabbitfish » 19 Jan 2022, 5:25 am

If you're able to travel down to St Mary's indoor range after you're licenced, I'll let you shoot a Howa 1500 Mini Action.223 and a Sako 85 22-250 downrange. Personally, I'd go with the.223 as a first centre fire because it's less expensive to shoot and has excellent accuracy. Is it possible to have an excellent target For Practice with rifle as well as a hunting rifle? Please let me know if you discover one.
rabbitfish
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Return to Centerfire rifles