Timney Mauser Problem

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Timney Mauser Problem

Post by MalleeFarmer » 26 Mar 2016, 6:21 pm

Hi my mark X timney trigger is letting the firing pin release under rapid cycling it's fine under normal use. I only noticed it last night shooting a big mob of goats. I haven't adjusted it from the factory. Does anyone know what I should do to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance.
Luke.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Timney Mauser Problem

Post by GLS_1956 » 26 Mar 2016, 11:29 pm

First guess is to check the sear for wear, possibly the bolt as well. Otherwise I suggest contacting Timney Triggers: http://www.timneytriggers.com/
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by MalleeFarmer » 27 Mar 2016, 8:43 am

Trigger is only a few months old. Possibly fired 50 rounds since replacing the standard military style one.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 27 Mar 2016, 8:52 am

Maybe it's too light? My M17 has got such a light trigger if I ram it home it does the same thing. Try making it a bit heavier if its an adjustable trigger.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 27 Mar 2016, 9:55 am

I can't tell which is your trigger from the Timney site and therefore don't know how to adjust it.
If it has a backlash screw, then there might be too little overtravel. Adjust it to induce more backlash, then try some rapid cycling.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by combo12 » 28 Mar 2016, 5:17 pm

No experience with Timney triggers but my guess is you are beating the sear when you fast cycle the action. Doubt it would be due to backlash/over-travel. Back the sear adjustment up half a turn (to increase sear engagement) and see how you go. Worked for me when I had the same problem with a Rem 700, but like I said, no experience with Timney.
combo12
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 28 Mar 2016, 5:57 pm

Heckler303 wrote:Maybe it's too light? My M17 has got such a light trigger if I ram it home it does the same thing. Try making it a bit heavier if its an adjustable trigger.

How light the trigger is has nothing to do with having slam firing and/or firing pin release prematurely.

I have a number of rifles that have a trigger pull weight less than 2ozs. One being a Tikka T3 with Single Set Trigger that was worked on by a very good Gunsmith, however, it started to let the trigger release prematurely even on the lightest of bolt closure.

It was Sear Engagement setting too light, not the trigger pull weight. None of my rifles have the sear polished or anything like that, nor would I allow anybody to attempt it.

It did take me quite a bit of very fine progressive adjustment after discussion with my Gunsmith who later checked my work. If you are confident I would progressively adjust the sear engagement up in very fine steps until the problem is solved, maybe go just a tad further but then make sure the sear adjustment screw is locked..ie Locktite, nail polish etc. Mine has been faultless now for a few years on down the track, trigger pull weight in set mode is about 1.5ozs to the best anyone can measure. It's a dream to use by anyone that is aware of the light trigger and makes for a very accurate and consistant release..just like my Jewell Benchrest Triggers.

It saved me a trip to my Gunsmith when I could not afford the time nor did he have the time at short notice.

If you are not confident do not attempt any trigger asjustments, take it to someone with the knowledge and experience when time permits.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 29 Mar 2016, 9:54 am

I have discovered the problem.
where the bolt contacts the sear the bolt needed to be filed away as they contacted too early in the bolts stroke causing the sear to disengage when slammed shut quickly.

I had to remove a couple of millimetres before it would hold under rapid cycling.

Don't worry I removed very small amounts between tests.

I have checked it and ensured saftey works and the gun fires as it should thanks for the help.

Regards
Luke.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Aussier » 31 Mar 2016, 11:16 am

:thumbsup:
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Centerfire rifles