Sako A7 vs Tikka T3

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Sako A7 vs Tikka T3

Post by inventurkey » 08 Nov 2013, 9:06 am

Morning all,

I'm thinking about getting my feet wet in the Sako/Tikka pool with a new varmint sporter. Maybe 22-250 rem or .243 win.

The Sako A7 has been out for a while now? How do they compare to a Tikka?

Anyone got both? What's your preference?
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Sako A7 vs Tikka T3

Post by keen » 08 Nov 2013, 10:35 am

It's six one half dozen the other I reckon.

Handling the A7 in store it definitely doesn't have the same feel as a Sako 85 or something like.

Just another Tikka but with a Sako badge IMO.
Henry .22LR Lever Action
.308 Howa Sporter
keen
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Old Fart » 08 Nov 2013, 11:13 am

Someone on here said it before I think...

Sako made a "Sako" with the Tikka price tag, so all the Tikka fan boys could afford one instead of having to tell everyone they meet that their Tikka is "basically" a Sako.

Now they can have an actual one and shut up about it :lol:
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Norton » 08 Nov 2013, 2:18 pm

If you real the tech info on it there are a few unique features to the A7 that aren't used in either the Tikka or the Sako. I couldn't tell you a difference any of it makes in practice though...

IMO, Tikka is just a quality, affordable rifle. Nothing wrong with that.

Sako is a high quality rifle with excellent craftsman ship and is priced accordingly.

Without the feel and craftsmanship of a proper Sako, the A7 is just another Tikka to me.

My 2c.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TPCKRT » 09 Nov 2013, 8:23 am

3things i found i liked on the a7 over the tikka.
1: steel lips on the mag.
2: better mag locking system
3: the stock felt nicer

but with all that said and i done i still bought a tikka.
Never Point Your Firearm At Something Your Not Willing To Shoot...
.177 - .22 - .204 - .300wm - 12g
Current Score:
7x Cats 65x Foxes 4x Fallow
TPCKRT
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by disko » 09 Nov 2013, 9:23 am

TPCKRT wrote:1: steel lips on the mag.

That's the one thing that get's me on a Tikka.

Don't like the mags...
Meopta Meopro 4-12x50mm on Fluted Howa Sporter.
.308 Winchester.
disko
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by inventurkey » 12 Mar 2014, 10:55 am

A bit more feedback on this, I've read from others that the metal lips on the Sako A7 mags are apparently causing regular problems.

The plastic ones are one piece at the top from the injection moulding or however they are made, where as the metal lips which are only secured in a few places on the Sako mags are coming loose and this sort of stuff.

Still haven't pulled the trigger on this, but I'm thinking of just going the Tikka instead.
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 12 Mar 2014, 11:31 am

Sako is three locking lug bolt and 60deg bolt lift, tikka is two lug bolt and 75deg bolt lift.

Tikka .223 length mags now have metal feed lips

Sako mags can be top fed, tikka has a tiny ejection port and mags must be removed to be loaded. No big deal for me as I carry a spare loaded mag.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 12 Mar 2014, 11:44 am

The more you shoot the less important magazine capacity gets I reckon.

When you start out and you're all gung-ho and could happily knock out 300 rounds every afternoon for kicks, a low capacity magazine is a pain.

Once the novelty wears off people (in my experience) take more time and shoot less. They're only shooting to hunt or taking more time at the range to shooter better, not just pumping out rounds.

A big magazine starts to get in the way and is just excess weight when in the field.

A 3-4 shot magazine is fine for most seasoned shooters IMO.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 12 Mar 2014, 2:09 pm

You have been thinking of this since the start of November, why don't you save & wait a bit more & get a 85 or wait a few months when I get sick of mine & buy that for $4000 with scope.
Member-Deleted

Post by inventurkey » 14 Mar 2014, 1:21 pm

Half of why it's been put off is other expenses coming up :(

An 85 just isn't on the card unfortunately. About $1300ish like the A7 and Tikka is the limit I've set myself and I'll stick to it.

Appreciate your offer, but not in the budget :(
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by reddog » 14 Mar 2014, 4:19 pm

Jaso wrote:You have been thinking of this since the start of November, why don't you save & wait a bit more & get a 85 or wait a few months when I get sick of mine & buy that for $4000 with scope.

Another SAKO that someone uses till their sick of it then want more than what they paid for it , Used Guns is full of them .
If I'm gonna spend $4000 , it wouldnt be on someone elses mistake .
$4000 gets you a new Sako and a new Swarovski ?
reddog
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Mar 2014, 4:55 pm

reddog wrote:
Jaso wrote:You have been thinking of this since the start of November, why don't you save & wait a bit more & get a 85 or wait a few months when I get sick of mine & buy that for $4000 with scope.

Another SAKO that someone uses till their sick of it then want more than what they paid for it , Used Guns is full of them .
If I'm gonna spend $4000 , it wouldnt be on someone elses mistake .
$4000 gets you a new Sako and a new Swarovski ?

It's actually more, I got the stainless walnut with stainless sako mounts & a z5 3-18. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Member-Deleted

Post by reddog » 14 Mar 2014, 5:35 pm

I forgot Optilocks $200 :D No offence meant Jaso just a lot of money for a used gun?
In all honesty I poke a lot of fun at the Sakos but I want one or two not an 85 though .
P94 22 and a 461 or 491 in 222 or 223 or a 22hornet in p75 or L46 or L49
Sakos are a great rifle , just at the moment they are on the dreamlist :lol:
reddog
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Mar 2014, 7:49 pm

reddog wrote:I forgot Optilocks $200 :D No offence meant Jaso just a lot of money for a used gun?
In all honesty I poke a lot of fun at the Sakos but I want one or two not an 85 though .
P94 22 and a 461 or 491 in 222 or 223 or a 22hornet in p75 or L46 or L49
Sakos are a great rifle , just at the moment they are on the dreamlist :lol:

$200 for mounts I wish! No offence taken at all, you probably wouldn't won't my latest bill then! A cooper in 7mm-08 straight from the us. Should go ok
Member-Deleted

Post by reddog » 14 Mar 2014, 7:55 pm

Yeah there beautiful them coopers , cheaper to get them from SA only $43 a carton :lol:
But seriously they are a work of art , but why a 7mm08 when you could have had your pick of any calibre ?
reddog
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Mar 2014, 9:19 pm

I don't need anything bigger & I have a 25-06 so that seemed like the next step. I run 100g in the 06 and will most probably run 140g in the 08. I almost bought two, I couldn't belive it when I seen one in 17hornet. I've looked at that cal a lot more since I bought a few reloading books & reading some stuff from billshed. Its good I can get it in something other than savage, although the cz looks the goods. I just like getting diffrent brands of rifle I suppose. Each to there own
Member-Deleted

Post by reddog » 14 Mar 2014, 9:38 pm

If you can afford Cooper rifles theres not much you cant have , and you've already got a 25.06 I reckon the perfect calibre for Australia bar Sambar and Buffalo .
I reckon I'm gonna go a 22 hornet with a view to going the K Hornet route but cheap ass with a Zastava . I'm with you on the brands but I love Winchester M70's
I've got one in 270 and love it , but I am a little worried at having a 25.06 and a 270 , only because they would be easy to mix up
Any how we might have hijacked the thread a little?
reddog
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Mar 2014, 6:21 am

Yer your right, apoloagize all round. On the a7 & the tikka just go to your local grab both & see which one feels right, slap some cabbage down & it's done.
Member-Deleted

Post by Lorgar » 17 Mar 2014, 5:04 pm

I just did the same a month or two ago... Tossing up between a Tikka Forest and the A7.

Had a few trips to the LGS and long think about both. Ended up going with the Tikka as it felt nicer to me.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Sep 2014, 3:52 pm

There's been an interesting discussion about the ejection problems a lot of people have been experiencing with the 85's (cases hanging up in the action, dented case mouths after ejection (hitting the turrets of scopes etc) - anyone here had issues with theirs?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Timb0 » 16 Sep 2014, 4:51 pm

Im sort of having this debate about what to get as a new hunting rifle. I was tossing up between the tikka and a A7 and maybe a few others, but I'm waiting to see what the new Sako A7 roughtechs are like.

The only difference seems to be the stock (and the price +$150-200 more). I think the stock lets the A7 down a bit and seems cheap. I looked at them on a US forum and one dude broke his where he had a bipod on it ( who knows what he was doing though!).

The Roughtechs come with what looks similar to a Bell& Carlson style stock with an aluminium sub frame. There is also a heavy barrel range model. I think they might be due in Australia end of the year?

http://www.sako.fi/sako_a7_roughtech.php
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RDobber » 17 Sep 2014, 1:32 pm

Timb0 wrote:I think the stock lets the A7 down a bit and seems cheap.

Agreed.

The Tikka is tried and true. You know it's a safe buy whereas the A7... Hmm...

I'd get another Tikka over an A7 for sure.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Chickenhawk » 17 Sep 2014, 1:35 pm

Can't say I thought much of the A7.

Just so people can say they have a Sako IMO. Buying it so they can drop the name.

Not that it means much, the A7 has nothing on one of a Sako 85. Not would you expect it to for half the price.
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by TheDugg » 16 Apr 2015, 9:52 pm

In the beginning Tikka was more expensive and better made than Sako. The M55/65 series. Then later on Sako bought Tikka and made cheap rifles of them. When comparing Sako A7 with Tikka T3 there is no way I would go with the T3. I rather take the A7 over the Sako 85. (I cant stand the silly sako bases, sako a7 have a drilled action)

A7 vs T3:
The Sako A7 have a much stiffer synthetic stock than the T3 (metal in the a7 stock keep it stiff). You are able to unload with the safety on, if you having trigger mailfunction or dirt in the rifle a T3 can misfire just like the Rem 700. A7 have 3 lugs and Tikka should have that too becouse HOW is it possible with a complete locking with 2 lugs and 75 degree? T3 doesnt lock as good as A7. They should have made it to 90 degree to have a complete lock. The mag release is better on the A7. The metal lips on the mag will not wear as the plastic on the T3. You will get feeding problem with your T3 after time but I guess you always can buy I new mag. The recoil lug on the T3 is made out of..... wait for it.... ALUMINIUM - lol. You have to replace it. You just have to replace it, I mean... seriously. But the main reason I choose A7 is they come with a short action. I would never touch a T3 in .308w becouse its a long action. The weaver system is the best becouse there is so many mounting options to it.
I dont care what name a rifle have. I look at the constructions and the quality on them. To me the Sako A7 is one of the best buy you can do these days. I've also seen them outshoot T3.
TheDugg
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Lyam » 17 Apr 2015, 11:21 am

TheDugg wrote:The metal lips on the mag will not wear as the plastic on the T3.

There is a reasonable amount of feedback around of the lips coming lose from the magazine however.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles