Howa opinions?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Howa opinions?

Post by Stubbles McBeard » 12 Apr 2016, 3:57 pm

Hey all, let's get away from all the negative crap being heaved our way for a minute, and help me spend some money.

My LGS has howa 223s, sporter barrel, blued, in a hogue stock up for $685 at the moment. I've been playing the tikka vs howa game in my head lately, but this pricing is definitely in the howas favour. Main use for the rifle will be typical 223 stuff, rabbits, foxes, cats, and probably a few bits of paper and the odd 20L drum.

Is the tikka really worth paying nearly double? Either rifle will no doubt out shoot my skill level forever, but what about reliability and availability of aftermarket and spare parts?

And more importantly, what's the best way to convince the missus?
Stubbles McBeard
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Howa opinions?

Post by scotty87 » 12 Apr 2016, 4:25 pm

To throw a spanner in the works also look at the savage model 11 trophy hunter XP, comes in wooden stock, weaver scope, accutrigger and 1 in 9 twist barrel for about $1200-1300,

Have heard more praises than criticism for both the tikka and the howa, it would really come down to personal choice and feel. Both will shoot well and both have ample aftermarket parts.

Money saved on Howa would get you a decent low-mid price scope if money is tight, like a nikon prostaff
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Apr 2016, 4:38 pm

G'day Stubbles McBeard,
I really like my Tikka, very well made rifle and accurate as. It is certainly not worth twice as much as my Howa, nor is it twice as good. One major detraction from the Howa is the Hogue pillar bedded stock, whilst it is adequate for off hand shooting the fore-end is quite flexible, so using a bi-pod is out. So is resting the front half of the stock on a tree branch as it will flex and touch the barrel, causing variation in point of impact. I chose to buy latest Howa in a Bell & Carlson stock and it is excellent, so is the Hogue full length bedding block stock which is another $200-$250, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by crows2332 » 12 Apr 2016, 5:52 pm

Hey No1Mk3

Just checking, with reference the howa hogue pillar bedded stock & fore-end flex on bi-pod/rest, any idea if the flex happens the same in their older synthetic synthetic stock/not hogue, they ran with? I don't think its pillar bedded, but am guessing the synthetic might be more rigid against flex? Guessing and hoping?

Cheers
crows2332
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Apr 2016, 7:03 pm

Slightly of topic. But, in hunting situations almost any factory rifle will shoot staighter than the majority of shooters. Just buy the Howa if you like it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 12 Apr 2016, 7:15 pm

I've never seen a Tikka in the flesh and the Howas I've seen had carried either the Smith&Wesson or Weatherby brand on them. So all I can say is Howa makes fine rifles and the 223 will do what you want it to.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Chronos » 12 Apr 2016, 7:48 pm

SOme will know I've always preferred the tikka over the howa, primarily because of the weight of the Howa 1500 and the horrible synthetic stock but I'd happily buy the new mini action. lighter by a bit and a tidy little rifle. The tikka was a much better buy when it cost around $900 for a lite ( a few hundred more than a Howa 1500 at the time ) and $1250 for a Varmint stainless

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 14 Apr 2016, 4:25 am

Yep... If I was getting a Howa 223 now, it would be the mini action.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gregg » 18 Apr 2016, 2:24 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Slightly of topic. But, in hunting situations almost any factory rifle will shoot staighter than the majority of shooters. Just buy the Howa if you like it.

Yes. You're almost sure to get MOA (if not slightly better) accuracy out of either of the above choices with the right load.

More than "hunting accurate".
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Sam45 » 18 Apr 2016, 2:56 pm

Gregg wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Slightly of topic. But, in hunting situations almost any factory rifle will shoot staighter than the majority of shooters. Just buy the Howa if you like it.

Yes. You're almost sure to get MOA (if not slightly better) accuracy out of either of the above choices with the right load.

More than "hunting accurate".

My mate bought one and using factory ammo in the 55gr Buffalo from OSA it shot 1/2" groups at 100 yards. :thumbsup: You won't be disappointed.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 18 Apr 2016, 6:10 pm

I bloody love my Howa, it shoots sub MOA even with factory ammo and it's built tough. I've never had a failure to fire or a problem with feeding out of my Howa. I would highly recommend it.

If you're in the market for a scope , I love the Bushnell Ar233 scope on my Howa, it's crystal clear and holds point of impact even when I've accidentally dropped it :oops: . The other great thing about this scope is that it has .223 specific holdover dots for 200, 300 , 400 and 500 yards. Leupold are hard to beat too, they're tip top quality
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by WayneO » 18 Apr 2016, 6:40 pm

Howa rifles are very nice and the actions are great. However the hogue stocks are never finished off properly and need some TLC to make them work as they were supposed to. The cross bolts are pathetic and put in as more of an after thought and the action bolt plate never has spacers to hold it in place like it should be. If you take a bank note and run it down the under side of the barrel, it should go all the way to the action without ever coming into contact with the stock. Unfortunately very few Howa rifles out the box manage that. So you have to pull the stock and sand the daylights out of it to give yourself at least a folded bank note clearance.
Having it either glass or (my preference) pillar bedded makes a world of difference.
The safety is also an afterthought piece of tin that looks and feels cheap and nasty.
If you spend an afternoon on the Howa stock, you will have a brilliant rifle.
The Tikka, right out of the box needs no additional work and is finished of to perfection.
So if an afternoon to you is worth more than $ 300.00, then go with the Tikka, IF NOT and you dont have two left thumbs, then I would say go with the Howa.
I own a Tikka .243 and a Howa .243. The Howa cost me a little bit of money and about 8 hours work, but it now shoots one for one with the Tikka.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by heeple » 19 Apr 2016, 12:14 pm

A definite tick in the Howa column is the price, then maybe put the saving back into better glass than you could have afforded with the Tikka.
Remingtion 700 XCR in 7mm-08
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by zobster » 19 Apr 2016, 3:13 pm

My mate has a tikka and I have a howa, both 223. I've shot his quite a lot and I must say performance wise both is just as good on factory osa ammunition. But as what others have said in the previous post, the finish of the howa is a little on the rough side.

For me, the howa is a no frills rifle, shoot straight, groups well, does the job. Tikka is a real beauty to look at and to hold, but it performs just the same as the howa.

But something that is more of a personal preference for me, I found that the tikka has a slightly nicer/crisper trigger as compared to a howa.

I bought the howa because of budget constrains, it shoots just as well as the tikka but cheaper because of the finish. No doubt others might disagree, but personally, aesthetics isn't as important as performance. I rather save the difference and get more ammunition or something. I promise you, the wallaby cannot tell the difference between 55gr of lead coming out of a tikka or howa.

Another thing would be choice of glass, but that's another story.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Kai » 19 Apr 2016, 4:48 pm

I've owned only one howa 1500 in 308w, it came with a bell & carlson ultra light stock tho, because I personally didn't like the look of the hogue stocks, got the bell & carlson for little more than the hogue at the time.
The stock had a really bad pillar bed job that shocked me that rifles could be sold like that, grouped like 3-6inches depending on factory ammo.
I glass and re-pillar bedded it myself, painted the whole thing camo including the scope and it shoots under MOA with reloads, shoots maybe just on to just over MOA with one factory load that I use as backup.
Its not going to win any high end rifle awards but its perfect for deer hunting and lugging around the bush, would I buy another howa 1500?....yes I would.
Kai
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Apr 2016, 6:30 pm

I love my Howa's - all shoot great and just work (had one for over 30yrs now) and it still shoots 5c piece groups when I can be bothered trying but more importantly it's been reliable, never lost any bits off it like some rifles I could mention (Tikka coff Tikka) LOL. As you can see I don't own any plastic stocked rifles (never will) just don't like the look or feel of them to be honest, I usually just by the actions and drop em in Boyds Stocks. :thumbsup:

None of those are bedded as yet (might get around to it one day) but for what I use them for (Hunting) I don't really see much need it doing it so far as they nail most things I point em at. :thumbsup:

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by WayneO » 19 Apr 2016, 7:13 pm

Like i said, amazing rifles but the stocks need attention.
If given the option for free, I think I would still lean towards the Howa and end up doing my bit to make it MY rifle. Bigfella, your second rifle picture, is that a Boyds stock, and where may I ask did you get it from? It looks amazing.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Apr 2016, 7:17 pm

WayneO wrote:Like i said, amazing rifles but the stocks need attention.
If given the option for free, I think I would still lean towards the Howa and end up doing my bit to make it MY rifle. Bigfella, your second rifle picture, is that a Boyds stock, and where may I ask did you get it from? It looks amazing.

Yeah Wayne they are all Boyds Stocks, I got them from Boyds in the US. That particular one is their Prairie Hunter Stock in the colour Pepper the other 2 are their Thumbhole Varmints in Pepper and Forest Camo :thumbsup:

Here's a link to their website mate - not sure if you will be able to buy em anymore with their $99 limit (may have to wait for them to come on special then hit em) :thumbsup:

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

I've got a bit of an addiction to Boyds Stocks - I think I'm up to 8 now not including an uninletted one waiting for a rifle. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by WayneO » 20 Apr 2016, 4:30 pm

Thank you very much for that.
P.S its a great addiction to have. I dont care what i have to do, but I have to have one of those stocks. My .223 now looks so mundane :?
Last edited by WayneO on 20 Apr 2016, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Apr 2016, 6:00 pm

Too right mate only addiction worth having.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by WayneO » 20 Apr 2016, 6:13 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Too right mate only addiction worth having.

Well that and being addicted to hunting, fishing, knives, camping and the outdoors.
Fortunately there is no rehab for what we have :drinks:
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 20 Apr 2016, 6:16 pm

Looking at the bigfellas groups they are as good or better then my Sako 85 .204 Ruger with a rifle probably costing half as much. Proof positive that you don't have to spend big bucks to buy quality or accuracy. Pictures talk and these are a great endorsement of both the Howa's capabilites and the bigfellas skill behind the trigger. Great stuff mate :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 20 Apr 2016, 6:18 pm

@WayneO...can you change your profile pic please? I'm falling in lust with her and can't concentrate on
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by scotty87 » 20 Apr 2016, 6:22 pm

I'll give my opinion tomorrow after I shoot some groups with my Howa .308 in its new Boyd's furniture, hopefully will have it shooting MOA or less.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 20 Apr 2016, 7:08 pm

hahaha.. shooting MOA. I love that one.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 20 Apr 2016, 7:14 pm

I like my Howa a lot but there are a few things to be aware of with them.

Firstly, the bolt is heavy and the screw holding the bolt release is minuscule: if you are heavy handed with cycling the action, the screw can and will break (mine did and many others have from what i hear); it will then float around and completely bugger any accuracy until you realise it is fouling between the action and the stock.

Secondly, it is not uncommon for the locking lugs to have uneven contact with the action in battery. If you are chasing bettter accuracy than just under 1MOA and cant get it no matter who shoots the rifle or how much load development you do, this may be the reason. It can be lapped out or cut even by your smith. You can see the contact your rifle is getting by marking the back of the locking lugs with a permanent marker and working the bolt a few times with a spent (that's FIRED) cartridge in the chamber. Where the texta rubs off is where you are getting contact. Mine was only getting full contact on one side and maybe 10-20% contact on the other side. I couldn't get it to shoot sub 0.5MOA until i fixed this. I know it's not a big deal for hunting and plinking but i wanted it to be reliably sub 0.5MOA for shooting club level F-class out to 600yards.

Finally, the trigger can be a bit rough and heavy and inexperienced tinkerers can disable the safety. Good news is there's a reliable guy who can sort it out very well and very quickly for around $60 including return postage!

Also, be aware that the heavy barrel jobbies are HEAVY and it is not the simplest action in the world to bed for yourself.

Other than these known foibles, they are a great affordable rifle from my experience and everything you read about them. Unless you're an obsessive tinkerer, you will probably find no issue with any of the above..... except the bolt release; it will break if you are in he habit of slamming your bolt through the cycle.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by WayneO » 20 Apr 2016, 10:05 pm

brett1868 wrote:@WayneO...can you change your profile pic please? I'm falling in lust with her and can't concentrate on

how do you think I feel, she is my screen saver.
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by scotty87 » 21 Apr 2016, 7:06 am

happyhunter wrote:hahaha.. shooting MOA. I love that one.

lol i think i know what you did there...I'm a bit late in the game to be shooting MOA hopefully it groups under an inch at 100yrd for three shots, is all I really want out of this rifle as it's only a sporter barrel.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Apr 2016, 9:40 am

brett1868 wrote:Looking at the bigfellas groups they are as good or better then my Sako 85 .204 Ruger with a rifle probably costing half as much. Proof positive that you don't have to spend big bucks to buy quality or accuracy. Pictures talk and these are a great endorsement of both the Howa's capabilites and the bigfellas skill behind the trigger. Great stuff mate :)

Cheers Brett, my Howa 204 (the one on the log with rabbits) cost me $780 from memory including shipping, scope, mounts, boyds stock and action of course - I bought it new 2nd hand so wasn't expensive and she's been a rippa little outfit (I've removed quite a few bunny heads out past 300m now) so it does everything I need it too do as do my other Howa's, they just work, I've never had any issues ever with any of them, I just drag them out of the safe and go hunting which is all they have to do (I do get my triggers tuned by the Glen Coughlan (Ebay Trigger Guy) and that's the only mod I've ever done to any of them, I haven't bedded any of the yet, may do it one day when I can be bothered but they shoot fine without doing it hence why I haven't bothered, mind you if I wanted to shoot targets all day I would do it to improve consistency etc but for hunting I don't find it necessary. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by gunnnie » 21 Apr 2016, 10:47 am

Have a Howa 1500varmint in 308W. It has the Hogue stock which I've noticed is a tad soft in the front end. So I'll be doing my usual trick of stiffening it by adding lengths of carbon arrow into the channel & glued in. Did this with my Savage tac elite. Worked a treat.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles