x-ova

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: x-ova

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 17 Apr 2016, 8:41 am

Title_II wrote:
safeshot wrote:What this about the rifle being French? Just curious. :?:

Never fired, dropped once :D

Twice......
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Supporter » 18 Apr 2016, 12:00 pm

Title_II wrote:Sorry, I know this has come up before, but what is a crossover?

Has a bit of a following here because of the Australian made angle.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 18 Apr 2016, 12:23 pm

Title_II wrote:Sorry, I know this has come up before, but what is a crossover?

It's when a bloke puts make-up and a dress on (that's not a Kilt) :drinks:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by safeshot » 18 Apr 2016, 9:21 pm

I received a detailed email from Lithgow that told of an approved way to correct the feeding problem.
With lots of safety instructions re springs etc it said to remove the cartridge follower and place it upside down on a flat surface and bend inwards the longer of its 'legs' if you wish to raise the cartridges sitting position in the magazine and bend outwards if you wish to lower the position.
So if your cartridges are hitting the top of the breech/barrel hole then the need is to lower them. and vice versa. The bending needed is slight I found by gradual degrees to be apx 1.5 times the thickness of the actual metal itself.
This made a huge improvement but the odd round was still stove piping.
I also made a tiny (1mm) extension ( 2 pack epoxy) to the magazine lock in lug so the magazine sits that tiny bit higher. At the risk of saying it this seems to have sorted the prob until next time. I phoned Lithgow and told them of my epoxy fix.
They seemed to be most interested in this. I suggested to make any new magazine it would be easy fix to machine out that 1mm from the mould.
Heres hoping they take it on board for the ten shot mags due out in July. They did offer to take my rifle back to work on the problem but I am very reluctant to send it across Australia even when they are offering to pay the freight.
All in all very disappointing as this bug should never have happened. It lets down a fine rifle that is spot on accurate and a joy to use.
ps Not even my brand new acrylic CZ mag feeds which is a huge pity.
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Wylie27 » 19 Apr 2016, 10:51 am

Have a read of this thread

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5094&start=30

It details the feeding problem that a lot of us went through..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by safeshot » 20 Apr 2016, 11:17 pm

to Pomeax. It was stove piping with , mostly the last round but not always.

Tonight I have had a win of sorts. I had a second go with the epoxy. The first lot was not hardening up fully. Sooo do it again. This time with the Devcon Plastic steel epoxy. Once it was glass hard I was able to start the filing and trimming it down to the right dimensions. Tedious? You betcha.
Then finally hearing the wonderful 'click' as the magazine locked in I loaded 5 rounds( using common-sense and safety practice) inserted the mag and had 5 rounds feed correctly. I repeated the exercise for the same result. How long my modification will last.. who knows but it works.
I have emailed Lithgow and told them too of the internet interest in this problem.
I hope this is of use to fellow sufferers.
Cheers
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by safeshot » 20 Apr 2016, 11:20 pm

ps. I forgot to mention. I have found another Devcon product that would most likely be better. Its 'Devcon Plastic Welder'. specially made for all manner of plastics...next time.
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Wylie27 » 21 Apr 2016, 7:23 am

Pics? :D
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 21 Apr 2016, 8:27 am

I second that. Pics of the repair would be ideal. Best solution i have heard of yet.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by rsj223 » 21 Apr 2016, 9:17 am

I will update when I get a chance but took mine out last weekend went through about 150 rounds all the ones I used before and not one single problem, not sure what they done this time but its working.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 21 Apr 2016, 10:46 am

Rsj awesome.

When I got mine back I had no failures for about 400 rounds and then I started getting it like every 5th magazine.

i bend the follower a bit and it goes away.

So there was certainly and issue with the rifle but the magazine definitely plays a part in some issues
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by safeshot » 21 Apr 2016, 10:09 pm

sorry no pics cause my Olympus software was a dud and began to invade other parts of the computer so I had to wipe it completely and I can no longer load pics into ths computer. So get it fixed? Sure after I have regained the $600 I spent on the car today. but I move on.
. Hold your crossover mag looking at it side on. Imagine a layer of epoxy 1 mm thick/thin now on the underside of the magazine 'lug' that the magazine clips in by. This will have the effect of lifting the magazine up that 1 mm further lining cartridges with the barrel.
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by AusTac » 21 Apr 2016, 10:22 pm

My crossy failed to feed the last round out of pretty much every magazine, it spent a few weeks back at the lithgow factory twice much to my inconvenience and i must admit i've only put 10 rounds or so through it since i've had it back, but it seems to work, overall i'm still happy, s**t happens, id probably buy one again
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by rsj223 » 22 Apr 2016, 9:06 am

They only had the rifle this time I kept the mags at home what ever they done wasn't to them
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Usurper » 22 Apr 2016, 10:27 am

Report given on what they fixed AusTac?
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 22 Apr 2016, 12:30 pm

No idea, neither me or my mate at the shop could get a straight answer, and there doesn't appear to be any marks on the rifle so your guess is as good as mine
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Wylie27 » 22 Apr 2016, 12:56 pm

On mine I was told the ejector plate was remade... Not sure what that means though..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 22 Apr 2016, 11:20 pm

Dont know what they fixed on mine
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 28 Apr 2016, 6:38 am

safeshot wrote:to Pomeax. It was stove piping with , mostly the last round but not always.

Tonight I have had a win of sorts. I had a second go with the epoxy. The first lot was not hardening up fully. Sooo do it again. This time with the Devcon Plastic steel epoxy. Once it was glass hard I was able to start the filing and trimming it down to the right dimensions. Tedious? You betcha.
Then finally hearing the wonderful 'click' as the magazine locked in I loaded 5 rounds( using common-sense and safety practice) inserted the mag and had 5 rounds feed correctly. I repeated the exercise for the same result. How long my modification will last.. who knows but it works.
I have emailed Lithgow and told them too of the internet interest in this problem.
I hope this is of use to fellow sufferers.
Cheers

You are most certainly on to something here.. Last weekend I took the crossover to the range and straight off the bat it was playing up again.. Every second or third round it was stovepipe g the 5th round..

Did the usual bend the follower to flatten out the bullet. This helped a little but it was still stove piping..

So I decided to hold the magazine in place and not let it move every time I was on the last round.

No more issues were to be had..

Taking out the wiggle seems to help with the issue. I have a feeling as the magazine gets older the plastic retainers start wear and get looser.

I guess I will call Lithgow again..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 28 Apr 2016, 9:49 am

God no -.- don't tell me yours its buggered again?
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Wylie27 » 28 Apr 2016, 2:07 pm

Lol yep. Not as bad as last time but enough to give me the effing sharts.

Although this time it is magazine related 100%.. Put about a 1000 rounds through it then it started playing up.

Before I call Lithgow I am going to try a new mag and safeshots fix
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 28 Apr 2016, 8:22 pm

Sorry to hear not looking good for mine then.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 29 Apr 2016, 5:01 am

Rsj dont stress about it. Just enjoy shooting it.

I still need to get a trigger job done on it, have the springs just need to man up and actually do it lol
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by safeshot » 10 May 2016, 9:05 pm

This seems to have fixed the beast. I did the 'two-pack' mod to the new CZ mag and that now feeds well. I had a couple of rounds jam up but was working the action too quick. Slow n steady as the saying goes.
I have since painted my mags 'day-glo- orange so they will stand out if I am silly enough to drop them.
Another way of dealing with this teething problem would be to take the magazine module out and machine off 1mm the top of it at the front end tapering back to nil at the back end. the top of the mag module is flat so this would lend itself to such a job. Problem here is two. The mag module is plastic not metal and doing anything like this yourself would say bye-byes to your warranty. I have passed this onto Lithgow and they were very appreciative. For me I will stick to the add some 'two-pack' for the time being.
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by AusTac » 10 May 2016, 9:24 pm

Thing is though we shouldn't have to start machining mags and chopping and changing stuff to make a factory rifle work.

However points for the effort/fix mate
Last edited by AusTac on 11 May 2016, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 May 2016, 8:42 am

AusTac wrote:Thing is though we shouldn't have to start machining mags and chopping and changing stuff to make a factory rifle work.

However points for the effort/max mate

correct. Theyre not old clunkers that you're a fixin up... plus, as soon as tools hit them - warranty is gone.... Its not feeding properly; OH, I can see you've played with the mag :roll:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 May 2016, 9:17 am

Curiosity finally got the better of me, I just had to know what x-ova was ....

Blody kids these days :lol: cbf wth wrds lol
C u l8r m8 :sarcasm:

In the future there will be a war, a code will be used to confuse the enemy, this code will be known as the Queens English :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Zilla » 16 May 2016, 10:33 am

on_one_wheel wrote:In the future there will be a war, a code will be used to confuse the enemy, this code will be known as the Queens English :lol:

Slow down egg head, we'll need something the current generation will be able to decipher :lol:
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles