Sako"s ??

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Sako"s ??

Post by bigfellascott » 01 May 2016, 9:20 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Thanks Scott,
If it were a .308 I'd be asking if you wanted to sell,
:)

I have toyed with selling it but find I just can't do it, I've decided I need to take it out and put it to use like it should be (sitting and whistling foxes and rolling bunnies, I just need to be very careful not to make the stock or metal work (I'd be somewhat pissed if that happens) :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sarki » 02 May 2016, 2:09 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:My 2 cents: if you're going to do it, do it right. A Bavarian carbine full stock.

Mmmmmm, yep I think I could live with one of those :)
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 02 May 2016, 6:00 pm

Have owned 5 Sakos and still 'don't get it'.

( Am a persistent bastard )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 02 May 2016, 6:42 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:Have owned 5 Sakos and still 'don't get it'.

( Am a persistent bastard )

Well, with a tag like Mr. Winchester, it's not surprising! :P
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 02 May 2016, 6:51 pm

Yeah ...

You have me pegged ! Lol

( have owned 'a little more than' 5 Winchesters. Lol )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 02 May 2016, 7:29 pm

Maybe, the best thing about Sako is that Beretta Australia is the importer / distributor / warrantor.

( Am I clutching at straws ? )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 02 May 2016, 7:42 pm

brett1868 wrote:A pic of the twins :)

IMG_2264.JPG

The Anti-Tank regiment called, they want those goodies on the right and left back.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 02 May 2016, 8:19 pm

There's some bloody big drop bears up north and I don't like being under gunned :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 03 May 2016, 7:09 am

brett1868 wrote:There's some bloody big drop bears up north and I don't like being under gunned :)

Lever action shotgun = not ok

Huge drop-bear-dropping caliber rifles = yeah she'll be right mate

:unknown:
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Bills Shed » 04 May 2016, 7:49 pm

I too think the Sakos are a bit over rated. Just sold my last Sako. It did no better job than any of my cheaper rifles. Yes fit and finish were very good but it did not shoot any better( and that is what we all want them to do, isn't it? Sold it at an excellent price and it will pay for a new rifle. At the end of the day get what you want, but do not expect it to shoot any better.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by gunnerjacky » 05 May 2016, 4:26 pm

Sako rifle is worth spending money for. I have used Sako L461 for hunting and believe me, it is still the best rifle I have ever used. These days I own Glock firearms and a Ruger rifle but nothing can be compared with Sako rifles.
Learning firearms from Boston Firearms Training School
gunnerjacky
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by WayneO » 05 May 2016, 4:56 pm

I must say that I have never gotten buying rifles and then not using them because you are scared they are going to get damaged. I own a Mauser in .404 with, if memory serves, a Grade 8 walnut stock, and it has been dropped on the floor, its fallen out a makoro in the Okavango delta and landed in the mud, its got scratches from thorn trees and most of the blue has been rubber off, and its been worked to hell and back. It cost me a fortune because it was the best i could afford, and not one day from day dot has it ever been treated with kids gloves. None of my rifles or shotguns have even been show pieces, they were bought to work and work they do.
Sako's are brilliant rifles that work very well and are a cut above most other rifles. If you want one, then get one and let it work.
I have a .375 Winchester that has a dent in the stock from a stone that was kicked up by a very upset elephant cow that stopped 7m from us and went mad. It just adds some character to the weapon. (When she walked off I gave her a mouthful for damaging my rifle, latter that night i sent her a silent thank you for a great memory)
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 05 May 2016, 5:42 pm

Yes Wayne, I admire your take on life ...

..... We shouldn't get hung up on material things; EXPERIENCES is what its all about.

( Sadly, I am more material than that. Lol )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 06 May 2016, 12:43 am

I have owned Sako rifles since 1981. I have many calibres of centrefires (.22 hornet, .222, .223, 22/250, 243, 25/06, .308, 375 etc) in a few makes (Sako, Ruger, Remington and Tikka mostly) and while some are great and I like them all for the pro shooting we do, none equal the beauty and functioning of a Sako. Don't compare a rough and rattly Ruger with a Sako - one is a no nonsense workhorse while the other is honey. If you don't want to scratch your rifle, don't take it out. To me, they a cherished war wounds!
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by heeple » 06 May 2016, 3:21 pm

WayneO wrote:I must say that I have never gotten buying rifles and then not using them because you are scared they are going to get damaged.

Guys that buy cars then are worried about them being in the sun :roll: :crazy:
Remingtion 700 XCR in 7mm-08
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 06 May 2016, 4:31 pm

It was drilled into me as a kid that I must look after my things and care about them. I was born into the generation that had to work hard to get some of the niceties of life which is something the modern disposable generation lack. I call them the "I" generation cause it's all about them....My attitude is that if I look after my things then they'll look after me :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 07 May 2016, 5:16 pm

brett1868 wrote:It was drilled into me as a kid that I must look after my things and care about them. I was born into the generation that had to work hard to get some of the niceties of life which is something the modern disposable generation lack. I call them the "I" generation cause it's all about them....My attitude is that if I look after my things then they'll look after me :)

Words fail me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by WayneO » 10 May 2016, 6:39 pm

brett1868 wrote:It was drilled into me as a kid that I must look after my things and care about them. I was born into the generation that had to work hard to get some of the niceties of life which is something the modern disposable generation lack. I call them the "I" generation cause it's all about them....My attitude is that if I look after my things then they'll look after me :)

Believe me when i tell you, I look after my rifles better than most ever will. When you are taking a client up to 15m from some of the most dangerous animals on earth, you had better be 1000% sure that your rifle will not fail you. But my rifles do not have to look beautiful in order for them to work.
And trust me, I saved for over a year for my .404, and it took me 17 years to get her into the shape she is in today.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 11 May 2016, 3:35 pm

WayneO wrote:When you are taking a client up to 15m from some of the most dangerous animals on earth, you had better be 1000% sure that your rifle will not fail you.

You get that close to drop bears? You're bold.

;)
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by WayneO » 11 May 2016, 11:27 pm

Bears? Never tried, but Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Lion, Hippo and Crocodile at around 15m on foot will get your heart rate a little bit above normal.If they realize you are there at that point, then your day gets really exciting.
When someone decides to release bears into the woods in Victoria to control some of the other feral animals, then I will give it a go. 8-)
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 11 May 2016, 11:38 pm

Title, here's your chance!

:)
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by VICHunter » 16 May 2016, 2:08 pm

WayneO wrote:When someone decides to release bears into the woods in Victoria to control some of the other feral animals, then I will give it a go. 8-)

Maybe they could help with the blackberry problem down here :lol:

Let's do it.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 16 May 2016, 4:54 pm

VICHunter wrote:
WayneO wrote:When someone decides to release bears into the woods in Victoria to control some of the other feral animals, then I will give it a go. 8-)

Maybe they could help with the blackberry problem down here :lol:

Let's do it.

I think they were the exact words, used by the Chair of the 'Fox Acclimatization Society' ... way back when.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gibbo » 16 May 2016, 5:10 pm

I had a Sako 85 Walnut Stainless in 223 (8 twist). Was a beautiful rifle and very accurate. Sold it though, was worrying about it getting scratched or damaged every time I went out.
I also had a Tikka Varmint in 22-250 and REM700s in 223 and 308. Didn't like the Tikka.
No doubt the Sako was better out of the box, but it is not as ergonomic as the chassis I have my Rem700 in... with a decent scope on my Sako i needed to cut a piece of foam and tape it to the stock and cover with a stock pack to get proper comb height... not ideal for a $2500 rifle.
Same price got me a fully adjustable chassis, bipod, muzzle break, trigger, sling and a short barrelled remington that is fun to shoot and tinker with and I am not afraid to hand to a mate when spotlighting to have a go or give it a spray with krylon or whatever. Can also easily attach a gopro or led torch and remove/swap the scope for a red dot. Accuracy is not as sharp as my sako groups from the bench but I just need to down freddo the fox and no complaints with the rem700.
I like tinkering with my rifles, it is a hobby, so I prefer to save the cash and spend it on other things. Everyone is different though. If you want a shooter and complete rifle out of the box and like the look of a beautiful walnut stock then go a Sako, they are beautiful guns.
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 16 May 2016, 5:29 pm

Gibbo wrote: If you want a shooter and complete rifle out of the box and like the look of a beautiful walnut stock then go a Sako, they are beautiful guns.

Yeah Mate,
Thanks for your experiences / thoughts.
I am in the market, and keeping an eye open for one that bedazzles my eye.
2nd hand, (can't afford new) Excellent cond, timber, and preferably S/S.
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by dogmatix » 17 May 2016, 2:09 pm

I've owned Remington, Savage, Miroku and Tikka centrefires before moving and staying with Sakos.
The A7's are bit of a improved Tikka really, but still good (if you avoid the early non reinforced front stock versions).

Only thing Sako could do better was a longer mag, to allow you to seat handloads further out.

My 2 Finnish hussies. 75 Finnlight and 75 Stainless laminate

Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by Bills Shed » 17 May 2016, 2:53 pm

dogmatix wrote:I've owned Remington, Savage, Miroku and Tikka centrefires before moving and staying with Sakos.
The A7's are bit of a improved Tikka really, but still good (if you avoid the early non reinforced front stock versions).

Only thing Sako could do better was a longer mag, to allow you to seat handloads further out.

My 2 Finnish hussies. 75 Finnlight and 75 Stainless laminate

They look good but do they shoot any better?
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by dogmatix » 17 May 2016, 3:17 pm

Yep.
Both have shot 0.26 MOA, averaging less than 0.5 MOA.
The Tikka and Miroku were not far off, but the heavy barreled Tikka Varmint and its sticky out mag was a pain and the 1 in 12" Miroku couldn't match the Sako 1 in 8' twist.
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by bigfellascott » 17 May 2016, 3:21 pm

dogmatix wrote:Yep.
Both have shot 0.26 MOA, averaging less than 0.5 MOA.
The Tikka and Miroku were not far off, but the heavy barreled Tikka Varmint and its sticky out mag was a pain and the 1 in 12" Miroku couldn't match the Sako 1 in 8' twist.

Shoots similar to my Howa's by the sounds of it. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by dogmatix » 17 May 2016, 3:24 pm

Howas are based on the old Sako action, so off to a good start in life! :D
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private