Sako"s ??

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Sako"s ??

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Apr 2016, 10:29 pm

Hi all,
I'm thinking about selling one of my as new rifles,, and investing in a Sako.

What I want is, .308, bolt action, good dark timber, and also preferably in stainless but not absolutely essential.

So what do you Sako Xperts recommend as in Model ? (I've not owned any Sako's yet)
Cheers,
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Sako"s ??

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Apr 2016, 10:36 pm

Personally I find them over rated, yes they look pretty etc but for the $$ they don't really do anything a cheaper outfit can't do ( I own a Sako) and honestly it doesn't get used at all (too pretty) I'd rather use my Howa's when out hunting.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 28 Apr 2016, 11:41 pm

I'm with the Bigfella on this, I've gone the opposite path and bought some "Cheaper" rifles for the hunting. I see the Sako as a beautiful piece of engineering and live in constant fear of getting a mark on the stock. The Howa & Ruger on the other hand do the same job and though I'll shed a tear if I mark them it won't be a full on meltdown. If you're set on a Sako, I was fondling a 85 Laminated S/S .308 with 20" threaded barrel at lunchtime today :) Magnums has a few Sako's on the shelf as has Horsley Park so let your fingers do the walking. There's a .338 Lap Sako TRG M10 on Magnums wall I'm lusting over but I've committed all spare cash towards project BR50 :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Apr 2016, 12:04 am

brett1868 wrote:I'm with the Bigfella on this, I've gone the opposite path and bought some "Cheaper" rifles for the hunting. I see the Sako as a beautiful piece of engineering and live in constant fear of getting a mark on the stock. The Howa & Ruger on the other hand do the same job and though I'll shed a tear if I mark them it won't be a full on meltdown. If you're set on a Sako, I was fondling a 85 Laminated S/S .308 with 20" threaded barrel at lunchtime today :) Magnums has a few Sako's on the shelf as has Horsley Park so let your fingers do the walking. There's a .338 Lap Sako TRG M10 on Magnums wall I'm lusting over but I've committed all spare cash towards project BR50 :)

You get it! I'd be spewing if I damaged this one of mine, no way known I'd take it spotlighting etc, would be too easy to damage that beautiful timber and that's the last thing I want to do, they point well etc, feel great in the hand etc but just too nice to do any real hunting/varminting with all the time (that pics the only time this one's ever been hunting - she's just a safe queen now to be honest :silent:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Apr 2016, 12:07 am

Ed maybe buy one of the A7's with the placky stocks, that way you aren't going to damage beautiful timber if you go hunting with it, or buy something with a bit of character on it! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Apr 2016, 1:26 pm

Thanks for your inputs thus far fellas,
I already have several f/arms that have "placky" stocks, and am not a great fan of them, all except one. (a little .22rf that does feel good)
I do like good timber.
And, I do look after what I've got, even out in the scrub.
In fact in the 40 plus years I've been shooting, I've only ever scratched one. If I scratch another one, I have the skills to fix it A1 condition.
So, the quality and finish of Sako's ooze out of them to look at. (like yours Scott for example)
And they are apparently all silky smooth in the action.

So it comes back to which particular model would be most recommended, and what are the differences from one to the other ?
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 29 Apr 2016, 3:16 pm

Both mine "The Twins" are model 85 Varmint S/S with the laminated stocks and set trigger option. Identical Leupold VX-3 4-12x50 scopes on Sako Optilok rings complete the package. They are 22-250 and .204 that both shoot .5 moa or better when I do my bit.
Have you got your heart set on a Sako? Maybe check out the Weatherby MkV range, similar price to the Sako and shoot just as well.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 29 Apr 2016, 5:17 pm

bigfellascott wrote: I'd be spewing if I damaged this one of mine, no way known I'd take it spotlighting etc, would be too easy to damage that beautiful timber and that's the last thing I want to do:

"beautiful timber" on a Sako !

I don't think so.

You would need to stump up 10 grand or so, for a Safari or Anniversary Model, to get 'beautiful timber'.

Edit: Maybe a 'Classic' or 'Deluxe' could be found to have something approaching 'beautiful wood', but certainly not the standard / 'Hunter' grade, unless someone at the factory made an error.
For the price, the wood quality is something that is sorely lacking in a Sako.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 29 Apr 2016, 6:44 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Bigfellas Sako appears to be from the mid - late 80's when Sako timber was at its finest. Quality timber for stocks increased in price exponentially as the green movement took hold in the 90's which reduced supply. You're right that for truly beautiful timber these days you're looking at >10k but keep in mind that 1k in the mid 80's equates close to 10k at today's prices. I bought a Sako "Forrester" in 89' and paid just on $800 for it from Mick Smiths on George St. The timber on it was indeed, to my eye a thing of beauty. Many manufacturers moved to laminated stocks not because it was cool but because it was cheaper than buying quality timber and as a bonus it appears to be stronger in many ways.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 29 Apr 2016, 7:14 pm

My first Sako was a Vixen .222 Mag

I thought that thing was sent from heaven; a work of art and a firearm of such beauty. ( EVEN with it's hideous whiteline spacer ! )

Nowadays, I know that it's wood quality was way less than average, in comparison to so many other gems I have witnessed, including those that have both passed through my hands and now lurk somewhere in the bowels of my safe.

'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder', is more often used as an excuse for the ugly.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 29 Apr 2016, 11:33 pm

My first gun was a Sako, love it to death cant fault it in any way. Protective of it, take extreme care not to mark it i love my 243 varmint with a wallnut stock. And will probably buy something else from sako at some point again.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 29 Apr 2016, 11:36 pm

'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder', is more often used as an excuse for the ugly.

Proper use would be as a reference to a second person finding something beautiful when others consider it to be unattractive. I hear the comment from time to time about my wife and I, many don't understand how such an attractive lady married Grumpy the Dwarf. My wife, having a sense of humor tells them that her husband has a 4" tongue and can breathe through his ears.... :lol:

I consider this a thing of beauty, others will see it as ugly having nothing but wank factor at the range.

How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 29 Apr 2016, 11:44 pm

A pic of the twins :)

IMG_2264.JPG
IMG_2264.JPG (236.06 KiB) Viewed 5632 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 30 Apr 2016, 6:19 am

Ah! The old 'are Sakos just hyped up medeocre rifle' debate. I think they are worth the cash compared to many others just from what i've seen with fit and finish, etc. Also, although i've only handled a few Sakos, they all seem to be very well suited to me, handling wise. Many have pointed out certain foibles and that a cheaper gun can deliver the same result. Well, a base model Ford Fiesta will get you from A-B just the same as a BMW 3 series with luxury options.

DJ, it comes down to "get one if you want one". Also, beyond that, they are just a rifle and the question must be asked, "what do you want to use it for?" I'm sure this would make a difference as to what model is more suited to you. Or, where you asking what 'series', as models have changed over the years. There is dedicated Sako forum somewhere on the web. Maybe you should look it up for more info on the ins and outs of the various Sakos produced over the years.

Personally, i'd go for the 85 series because they have all the features i'd like in a quality 'lifetime' rifle.
Last edited by Gwion on 30 Apr 2016, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 30 Apr 2016, 1:16 pm

My 2 cents: if you're going to do it, do it right. A Bavarian carbine full stock.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 01 May 2016, 8:40 pm

So Scotty,, What model/year etc is the one you posted above ??
:thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 01 May 2016, 9:04 pm

Die Judicii wrote:So Scotty,, What model/year etc is the one you posted above ??
:thumbsup:

222 L461AI, 1980's vintage. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 01 May 2016, 9:09 pm

Thanks Scott,
If it were a .308 I'd be asking if you wanted to sell,
:)
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 01 May 2016, 9:20 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Thanks Scott,
If it were a .308 I'd be asking if you wanted to sell,
:)

I have toyed with selling it but find I just can't do it, I've decided I need to take it out and put it to use like it should be (sitting and whistling foxes and rolling bunnies, I just need to be very careful not to make the stock or metal work (I'd be somewhat pissed if that happens) :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sarki » 02 May 2016, 2:09 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:My 2 cents: if you're going to do it, do it right. A Bavarian carbine full stock.

Mmmmmm, yep I think I could live with one of those :)
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 02 May 2016, 6:00 pm

Have owned 5 Sakos and still 'don't get it'.

( Am a persistent bastard )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 02 May 2016, 6:42 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:Have owned 5 Sakos and still 'don't get it'.

( Am a persistent bastard )

Well, with a tag like Mr. Winchester, it's not surprising! :P
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 02 May 2016, 6:51 pm

Yeah ...

You have me pegged ! Lol

( have owned 'a little more than' 5 Winchesters. Lol )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 02 May 2016, 7:29 pm

Maybe, the best thing about Sako is that Beretta Australia is the importer / distributor / warrantor.

( Am I clutching at straws ? )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 02 May 2016, 7:42 pm

brett1868 wrote:A pic of the twins :)

IMG_2264.JPG

The Anti-Tank regiment called, they want those goodies on the right and left back.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 02 May 2016, 8:19 pm

There's some bloody big drop bears up north and I don't like being under gunned :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 03 May 2016, 7:09 am

brett1868 wrote:There's some bloody big drop bears up north and I don't like being under gunned :)

Lever action shotgun = not ok

Huge drop-bear-dropping caliber rifles = yeah she'll be right mate

:unknown:
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Bills Shed » 04 May 2016, 7:49 pm

I too think the Sakos are a bit over rated. Just sold my last Sako. It did no better job than any of my cheaper rifles. Yes fit and finish were very good but it did not shoot any better( and that is what we all want them to do, isn't it? Sold it at an excellent price and it will pay for a new rifle. At the end of the day get what you want, but do not expect it to shoot any better.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by gunnerjacky » 05 May 2016, 4:26 pm

Sako rifle is worth spending money for. I have used Sako L461 for hunting and believe me, it is still the best rifle I have ever used. These days I own Glock firearms and a Ruger rifle but nothing can be compared with Sako rifles.
Learning firearms from Boston Firearms Training School
gunnerjacky
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by WayneO » 05 May 2016, 4:56 pm

I must say that I have never gotten buying rifles and then not using them because you are scared they are going to get damaged. I own a Mauser in .404 with, if memory serves, a Grade 8 walnut stock, and it has been dropped on the floor, its fallen out a makoro in the Okavango delta and landed in the mud, its got scratches from thorn trees and most of the blue has been rubber off, and its been worked to hell and back. It cost me a fortune because it was the best i could afford, and not one day from day dot has it ever been treated with kids gloves. None of my rifles or shotguns have even been show pieces, they were bought to work and work they do.
Sako's are brilliant rifles that work very well and are a cut above most other rifles. If you want one, then get one and let it work.
I have a .375 Winchester that has a dent in the stock from a stone that was kicked up by a very upset elephant cow that stopped 7m from us and went mad. It just adds some character to the weapon. (When she walked off I gave her a mouthful for damaging my rifle, latter that night i sent her a silent thank you for a great memory)
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles